Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help! Need to write my first script Post 45818 by fundidor on Friday 2nd of January 2004 10:39:28 AM
Old 01-02-2004
Help! Need to write my first script

Hi Folks!

I am a MacUser and am trying to learn Unix for the last few months.

I will explain in detail what I am trying to do, and apreciate you help if you can teach me even if it is a single comand line inside the script.

I own a small company, where I manufacture special gypsums and plasters for dental use. Outside my office, I have a equipment, a scale, that can weigh pallets from 0 to 3000Kg. This scale is connected to my small network and has its own web server.

If I type on this URL: http://169.254.79.250/peso.html on any web browser, on any computer, on my small network, a request is sent to the webserver installed on my scale and a page as this is displayed:

example in .html: Click here for example.

(this example contains a Javascript that will direct you to an error page after a few seconds. You might need to click on the "back" button of your browser)

example of the source code in pdf: click here for example in pdf

One can notice inside the code where it is written "0,0Kg". This is the variable. As one of my employees places a new pallet with a diferent new weight this value changes.

OK!

This is what I want to do:

I want to write a script to run on the Macs's Unix terminal and do this:

1) Capture the html source code on http://169.254.79.250/peso.html (this is a reference in my small network)

2) Identify the variable inside the code, let's say each 10 seconds. (the value just before Kg)

3) Use a logical function to determine if the value has changed, and if it did change , write a line in a text file. (pesolog.txt)

Example of pesolog.txt:

O January 2nd 2004 at 12:45 peso has changed to 1254Kg
On January 2nd 2004 at 13:15 peso has changed to 1869kg
etc...

I thank you for your help, even if it is just a single command line.

Greeting from
Bernardo Höhl
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

PS: This site is so CPU intensive on my Mac. My computer runs very, very slow when I have this page running.. Do you experience the same problem?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to write script for this ?

Hi All, I want to read username and lastupdate only from /etc/security/passwd and write the same data to another file: The data in /etc/security/passwd will be in this form for example: For more details : http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/files/aixfiles/passwd_security.htm#A1219924 smith:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_haroon
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to write the script

Actually i am working with two diffrent files having same structure each file contain Ten diffrent column and i want to write a script which will compare the colummns of first file with the column of second file and diiference will be send to the first column of third file . similarly for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyana_cboy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please write this script for me

UNIX shell script (Bourne shell syntax) called admin_script. This script is described below as a usage summary: admin_script Note: if no options are specified, a menu is displayed which allows users to perform one of the following tasks and then exit. If incorrect options are provided,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadman123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Should I write a PERL Script or Shell Script?

Hello, I have done some BASIC shell scripting/PERL scripting before so I am familiar with the languages. I am not really sure which one would lend itself better to the application I have to write. I am required to scan the message logs for possible break in attempts. If I use shell scripting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better way to write this script

Hi All, I have written the following script. I have just repeated some commands, and I am sure there is a more better way to do it. I hope I one of gurus here will help me make it in a better shape. Here is the script: #! /bin/sh sed -i -e "s/test2.xxx/test3.xxx/" -e "s/output2/output3/"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Help - Another Way To Write This

I am adapting an Open Step ping server script to Ubuntu 8.10 and one section of my script isn't working # if there are servers that just went down or came back up, notify # with high importance if ; then echo notifying of servers that are up again or just now down notify high # if there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gbxfan
2 Replies

7. AIX

how to write this script?

If I need delete some disk, for i in hdisk1 hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk4 do rmdev -dl $i done if I have more than 100 hdisks, how to write a script like that to delete them? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q: How to write this script?

Hi there :rolleyes: I have a folder called backup it is path is: ~/backup Inside this folder, there are four files: ~/backup/test1.cpp ~/backup/test2.cpp ~/backup/test3.cpp ~/backup/PATHS.TXT The fourth file PATHS.TXT contains the original paths for the three files. This is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: domain
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me to write the script

Hi All, I have written the follwing script to take the backup of the file every day along with the date. DATE=`date +%Y%m%d` export DATE cp var/hr/hr333m.txt cp var/hr/payments/hr333m_$DATE.txt The file name as follows after taking the backup. hr333m_20110630.txt Could you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarkona
3 Replies
WWW::RobotRules(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					WWW::RobotRules(3)

NAME
WWW::RobotsRules - Parse robots.txt files SYNOPSIS
require WWW::RobotRules; my $robotsrules = new WWW::RobotRules 'MOMspider/1.0'; use LWP::Simple qw(get); $url = "http://some.place/robots.txt"; my $robots_txt = get $url; $robotsrules->parse($url, $robots_txt); $url = "http://some.other.place/robots.txt"; my $robots_txt = get $url; $robotsrules->parse($url, $robots_txt); # Now we are able to check if a URL is valid for those servers that # we have obtained and parsed "robots.txt" files for. if($robotsrules->allowed($url)) { $c = get $url; ... } DESCRIPTION
This module parses a /robots.txt file as specified in "A Standard for Robot Exclusion", described in <http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/norobots.html> Webmasters can use the /robots.txt file to disallow conforming robots access to parts of their web site. The parsed file is kept in the WWW::RobotRules object, and this object provides methods to check if access to a given URL is prohibited. The same WWW::RobotRules object can parse multiple /robots.txt files. The following methods are provided: $rules = WWW::RobotRules->new($robot_name) This is the constructor for WWW::RobotRules objects. The first argument given to new() is the name of the robot. $rules->parse($robot_txt_url, $content, $fresh_until) The parse() method takes as arguments the URL that was used to retrieve the /robots.txt file, and the contents of the file. $rules->allowed($uri) Returns TRUE if this robot is allowed to retrieve this URL. $rules->agent([$name]) Get/set the agent name. NOTE: Changing the agent name will clear the robots.txt rules and expire times out of the cache. ROBOTS.TXT The format and semantics of the "/robots.txt" file are as follows (this is an edited abstract of <http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/norobots.html>): The file consists of one or more records separated by one or more blank lines. Each record contains lines of the form <field-name>: <value> The field name is case insensitive. Text after the '#' character on a line is ignored during parsing. This is used for comments. The following <field-names> can be used: User-Agent The value of this field is the name of the robot the record is describing access policy for. If more than one User-Agent field is present the record describes an identical access policy for more than one robot. At least one field needs to be present per record. If the value is '*', the record describes the default access policy for any robot that has not not matched any of the other records. Disallow The value of this field specifies a partial URL that is not to be visited. This can be a full path, or a partial path; any URL that starts with this value will not be retrieved ROBOTS.TXT EXAMPLES The following example "/robots.txt" file specifies that no robots should visit any URL starting with "/cyberworld/map/" or "/tmp/": User-agent: * Disallow: /cyberworld/map/ # This is an infinite virtual URL space Disallow: /tmp/ # these will soon disappear This example "/robots.txt" file specifies that no robots should visit any URL starting with "/cyberworld/map/", except the robot called "cybermapper": User-agent: * Disallow: /cyberworld/map/ # This is an infinite virtual URL space # Cybermapper knows where to go. User-agent: cybermapper Disallow: This example indicates that no robots should visit this site further: # go away User-agent: * Disallow: / SEE ALSO
LWP::RobotUA, WWW::RobotRules::AnyDBM_File libwww-perl-5.65 2001-04-20 WWW::RobotRules(3)