Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking file systems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Checking file systems Post 4571 by PxT on Thursday 26th of July 2001 01:20:27 PM
Old 07-26-2001
What type of system is this? I am not familiar with those particular messages you are getting, although it sounds like you need to run a file system check. On most systems this is accomplished with the 'fsck' command. Something like:

fsck -y /dev/root

will check and automatically repair any problems on /dev/root.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I update a file on 50 systems at once?

I need to update a file that is on 50 different systems at once. In case of planned network outages I would like to overwrite or lock a monitoring script so that it doesn't send notifications. I thought of using a script that ftp 's the updated file to all 50 systems, and then overwrites the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resizing File-Systems

can someone tell me the basic steps needed to resize and existing filesystem that already has data on it? thanks I dont need to be pointed to a website so any real time real life advice or help will be wholly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File systems...

Hello guys, I am new in Unix world. I would like know, how Can I check which type of file system (GPFS, JFS) is on the AIX server. I have AIX 5.1. Could you anyone advice me? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokratis
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file systems for unix

please someone give me 3 file systems for unix HP-UX version !!! thnks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: androc
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

file systems may become read-only

Some of my file systems become read only. I want to find out when that happend. I checked /var/log/messages on that server and I dont see anything there. Is there any other ways to check that. I really need to find out when and how that happend. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
4 Replies

6. SCO

file systems table

hi Where is file systems table stored, I mean which config file from SCO 5.0.6? On linux is in /etc/fstab. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file systems

I have to copy 3 file systems from one machine to another on the same local network. Total data is about 150gb. There is not enough free space on the source system to tar the files and then copy. I have to do this remotely, no tape or dvd I need to maintain permissions and ownership. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
2 Replies

9. SCO

Distinguish between file systems

Hello, is there any command in SCO unix by which I can check if the file system is HTFS or DTFS? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mick
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Moving file systems from one server to the other

Hi I have a server running solaris 10 with UFS type file systems, residing on a NetApp storage system, in which I need to move those file systems (all of them) to another solaris 10 server. The normal procedure to create a file system is to do a format, newfs, mkdir and mount. But on this case... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
17 Replies
REBOOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot - stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
/sbin/reboot [ -lqnhdarsfRD ] /sbin/halt [ -lqndars ] /sbin/fastboot [ -lqndarsRD ] DESCRIPTION
2.11BSD is started by placing it in memory at location zero and transferring to its entry point. Since the system is not reentrant, it is necessary to read it in from disk or tape each time it is to be boot strapped. Rebooting a running system: When the system is running and a reboot is desired, shutdown(8) is normally used to stop time sharing and put the system into single user mode. If there are no users then /sbin/reboot can be used without shutting the system down first. Reboot normally causes the disks to be synced and allows the system to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing hardware time-of-day clocks. A multi-user reboot (as described below) is then initiated. This causes a system to be booted and an automatic disk check to be performed. If all this succeeds without incident, the system is then brought up for multi-user operation. Options to reboot are: -l Don't try to tell syslogd(8) what's about to happen. -q Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. -n Don't sync before rebooting. This can be used if a disk or the processor is on fire. -h Don't reboot, simply halt the processor. -d Dump memory onto the dump device, usually part of swap, before rebooting. The dump is done in the same way as after a panic. -a Have the system booter ask for the name of the system to be booted, rather than immediately booting the default system (/unix). -r Mount the root file system as read only when the system reboots. This is not supported by the kernel in 2.11BSD. -s Don't enter multi-user mode after system has rebooted - stay in single user mode. -f Fast reboot. Omit the automatic file system consistency check when the system reboots and goes multi-user. This is accomplished by passing a fast reboot flag on to the rebooting kernel. This currently prevents the use of -f flag in conjunction with the -h (halt) flag. -D Set the autoconfig(8) debug flag. This is normally not used unless one is debugging the autoconfig program. -R Tells the kernel to use the compiled in root device. Normally the system uses the device from which it was booted as the root/swap/pipe/dump device. Reboot normally places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /usr/adm/wtmp. This is inhibited if the -q or -n options are present. Note that the -f (fast reboot) and -n (don't sync) options are contradictory; the request for a fast reboot is ignored in this case. Halt and fastboot are synonymous with ``reboot -h'' and ``reboot -f'', respectively. Power fail and crash recovery: Normally, the system will reboot itself at power-up or after crashes if the contents of low memory are intact. An automatic consistency check of the file systems will be performed, and unless this fails, the system will resume multi-user operations. SEE ALSO
autoconfig(8), sync(2), utmp(8), shutdown(8), syslogd(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 24, 1996 REBOOT(8)