Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Selecting the middle date!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Selecting the middle date! Post 45659 by jayakhanna on Monday 29th of December 2003 04:40:08 AM
Old 12-29-2003
I am not clear with your question, I assume you are asking for today' s date 29122003 to be searched in a file, then the below will work

str=`date -u +%d%m%Y`
grep $str filename

if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
echo "Date was not found"
exit 1
fi

Regards
JK

Last edited by jayakhanna; 12-29-2003 at 11:46 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to 'sed' the middle line?

Hi, If I have 90 lines and I want to print the 45th line, is there a quick sed command for this? thx. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_jumpin
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change RS in the middle

in AWK, how can I change the RS (record separator) in the middle of awk command. for example: gawk 'NR==FNR { key++;next }; RS="?"; $1 in key' file1 file2 in above, I put RS="?" in the middle to change the value of RS to "?" right after the file1 has been processed. when it begins to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process from middle of a file?

Hi There. I have a file like this . a nnnn sds b ssss fdefd c sdfd dsfd sdfds ... ... Summary t1 t2 t3 t4 s1 s2 s3 s4 f1 f2 f3 f4 .. How to use awk to begin process this file from the line that contains "Summary"? Thanks! louis (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: javacore
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting files between a user inputed date range

Hi all! I'm working on a KSH script to select files between a user inputed date range (stored in a variable) and then move them and unzip them. I'm stuck at how to get the files between the user inputed date range selected. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The files are as such: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a word in the middle

I have a file where in I need to add gctunit1/gtdivcompebb1/ after the = sign for example: gtfix31/gctunit_gtdivcompebb1/csclkswcompbypassstepgnnnh = gctunit1/gtdivcompebb1/csclkswcompbypassstepgnnnh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - Selecting specific files based on 'date stamp' values

Hi, I've list of files in a directory, which have date stamp value in their names. ex: abc_data_20071102.csv, abc_data_20091221.csv, abc_data_20100110.csv, abc_data_20100222.csv, abc_data_20080620.csv,... etc., I need to select and process only files, within the given date... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
4 Replies

7. Programming

selecting values of date

In a table, date is stored in a column as "2011-01-4". If I write query to get the dates > "2011-01-06" , then the date "2011-01-4" is also listed. The date stored in the column is a varchar datatype. So how can I make a query to not display the date "2011-01-4" ? Is there any solution ? Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicate rows & selecting only latest date

Gurus, From a file I need to remove duplicate rows based on the first column data but also we need to consider a date column where we need to keep the latest date (13th column). Ex: Input File: Output File: I know how to take out the duplicates but I couldn't figure out... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to separate First,Middle and Last Name from Full name

How to separate First,Middle and Last Name from Full Name? For Example: I/O :- 1) Ashok Kumar Requied Output: First Name:Ashok Middle Name: Last Name:Kumar I/O :- 2) Ashok K Kumar Requied Output: First Name:Ashok Middle Name:K Last Name:Kumar I/O :- 3) Ashok K R Kumar Requied Output:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AhmedLakadkutta
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selecting the file of latest Date

Hi Folks, I have one query that there is a folder in which daily several logs files are getting created , I reached to that location through putty but what I observer that 10 files of different date are been created with same name , what I need to see is the latest file ...let say the location is ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
5 Replies
TCAL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TCAL(1)

NAME
Tcal - runs the Gcal program with the date of tomorrow's day. SYNOPSIS
tcal [--help | --version] | [--shift=[+|-]number] [Argument...] DESCRIPTION
Tcal is a program which runs gcal with a date set one day ahead (equivalent the --shift=1 option). All given arguments are passed unmodi- fied to the Gcal program. If the Gcal program shall be called with another date than tomorrow's date, this desired date can be selected by using the --shift=[+|-]number option, in which [+|-]number is the distance of days the desired date is distant from the actual date (works only for Gregorian years). The --shift option must be given before all other arguments which are passed to the Gcal program. An exit status of 0 means all processing is successfully done, any other value means an error has occured. OPTIONS
--help Print a usage message listing all available options, then exit successfully. --version Print the version number, then exit successfully. --shift=[+|-]number Define the displacement in [+|-]number days the desired date is distant from the actual date. ENVIRONMENT
GCALPROG The GCALPROG environment variable contains the file name of the executable Gcal program, which is used by Tcal to call Gcal. This takes precedence over the file name `gcal', which is burned-in during the compilation step of tcal. COPYRIGHT
Tcal Copyright (c) 1995, 96, 1997, 2000 Thomas Esken This software doesn't claim completeness, correctness or usability. On principle I will not be liable for any damages or losses (implicit or explicit), which result from using or handling my software. If you use this software, you agree without any exception to this agree- ment, which binds you LEGALLY !! Tcal is free software and distributed under the terms of the `GNU General Public License'; published by the `Free Software Foundation'; version 2 or (at your option) any later version. Any suggestions, improvements, extensions, bug reports, donations, proposals for contract work, and so forth are welcome! If you like this tool, I'd appreciate a postcard from you! Enjoy it =8^) AUTHOR
------------------------oOO \\_''/ OOo--------------------------- Thomas Esken O (/o-o) O eMail: esken@gmx.net Im Hagenfeld 84 (( ^ )) Phone: +49 251 232585 D-48147 Muenster; Germany \____) ~ (____/ MotD : 2old2live, 2young2die SEE ALSO
gcal(1), txt2gcal(1), gcal2txt(1). June 14, 2000 TCAL(1)