Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Interpreting netstat -s
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Interpreting netstat -s Post 4476 by Neo on Wednesday 25th of July 2001 05:01:37 AM
Old 07-25-2001
Example output of netstat -s:

[quote]
athlon# netstat -s
Ip:
461270 total packets received
0 forwarded
0 incoming packets discarded
288 incoming packets delivered
374553 requests sent out
8 dropped because of missing route
Icmp:
29 ICMP messages received
0 input ICMP message failed.
ICMP input histogram:
destination unreachable: 29
899 ICMP messages sent
0 ICMP messages failed
ICMP output histogram:
destination unreachable: 899
Tcp:
34 active connections openings
0 passive connection openings
0 failed connection attempts
0 connection resets received
1 connections established
460013 segments received
373502 segments send out
993 segments retransmited
0 bad segments received.
2 resets sent
Udp:
123 packets received
32 packets to unknown port received.
0 packet receive errors
152 packets sent
TcpExt:
[/code]

There is nothing here that discusses file descriptors. This simply provides statistics about sockets, packets, tcp segments, and connections.

This command is not used to check for file descriptor usage.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shellscript Interpreting

I am trying to interpret the following shellscript and am having a very difficult time. Could one of you Unix gurus pleasssseeee help me out? You just won't know how much of a life saver you would be for me. PN=`basename "$0"` # Program name VER=`echo '$Revision: 1.2 $' | cut -d' ' -f2` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ann
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vmstats interpreting

We are having performance issues on an alpha4100 server. I can't paste a snapshot of my vmstat in here, but... We have 4gb of memory. The actual memory stays consistant around 306k. Free is dropping into the 120 area. Wire is around 206k consistantly. consistantly. My manual says that unix... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris way if interpreting devices?

Hi all, I wanted to know the solaris way of interpreting devices? I mean i understand all those c0t0....stuff but when i start mounting devices , most of the times i get either a I/O error or it says that the directory does not exist. eg: I have a external usb hub to which i have connected... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting netstat output

hi all, when I run- wcars1j5#netstat -an | grep 8090 127.0.0.1.8090 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN wcars1j5# 1. does this mean that no one is connected to this port? Regards, akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help interpreting a function

Hi, i was reading through a sample coding and came across this function, can anyone pls help to interpret the code for me. Thank alot find_lines() { res=-1 if ; then grep -i "$@" $FILENAME res=$? fi return $res } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Interpreting xntpdc output.

Hi. I wonder what the equal sign in front of the answer means. I have read man pages and googled but found no answer. xntpdc -p =15.5.64.3 15.5.2.51 3 512 377 0.02060 0.057426 0.04965Thanks. Jan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vettec3
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpreting arguments in Perl program.

Hello. I'm new to Perl and I am not sure how to interpret command line arguments in the program. I am writing a program similar to the Unix utility 'tail' and need to check if first argument is '-1' (1) or any arbitrary number of lines to output. How would I write an 'if' statement to check for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpreting multiple values from a variable

Hi, I am writing a shell script which will check the status of a resource in a cluster and then display nicely to a user running the script at command line. Basically the script runs a status command and then pulls certain keywords from the return and then should display a concise status. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help interpreting this freemem/freeswap graph

Hi, I am sure some gurus will recognize what this graph is. This is provided by our SA but I can't understand his explanation. I am not sure if this is from kSar or Cacti. The link that I was given to is to a kSar directory so I am assuming this output is from kSar. Hopefully, I can get a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
ICMP(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   ICMP(4)

NAME
icmp -- Internet Control Message Protocol SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> int socket(AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, proto); DESCRIPTION
ICMP is the error and control message protocol used by IP and the Internet protocol family. It may be accessed through a ``raw socket'' for network monitoring and diagnostic functions. The proto parameter to the socket call to create an ICMP socket is obtained from getprotobyname(3). ICMP sockets are connectionless, and are normally used with the sendto and recvfrom calls, though the connect(2) call may also be used to fix the destination for future packets (in which case the read(2) or recv(2) and write(2) or send(2) system calls may be used). Outgoing packets automatically have an IP header prepended to them (based on the destination address). Incoming packets are received with the IP header and options intact. Non-privileged ICMP ICMP sockets can be opened with the SOCK_DGRAM socket type without requiring root privileges. The synopsis is the following: socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_ICMP) This can be used by non root privileged processes to send ICMP echo requests to gauge the quality of the connectivity to a host, to receive ICMP destination unreachable message for path MTU discovery, or to receveive time exceeded message for traceroute. Datagram oriented ICMP sockets offer a subset of the functionality available to raw ICMP sockets. Only IMCP request messages of the following types can be sent: ICMP_ECHO, ICMP_TSTAMP or ICMP_MASKREQ. The code field must be the value zero (0). The minimal length of an ICMP message request is eight (8) octets. The following IP level option can be used with datagram oriented ICMP sockets: IP_OPTIONS IP_HDRINCL IP_TOS IP_TTL IP_RECVOPTS IP_RECVRETOPTS IP_RECVDSTADDR IP_RETOPTS IP_MULTICAST_IF IP_MULTICAST_TTL IP_MULTICAST_LOOP IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP IP_MULTICAST_VIF IP_PORTRANGE IP_RECVIF IP_IPSEC_POLICY IP_STRIPHDR When the IP option IP_HDRINCL is used, the provided IP header must obey the following rules: ip_v Must be IPVERSION (4); ip_hl Between 5 and 10 (inclusive); ip_tos Any value; ip_len Must be the total length of IP datagram (IP header + ICMP message); ip_id Must be zero, will be automatically set; ip_off Must be zero, will be automatically set; ip_ttl Any value; ip_p Must be IPPROTO_IP; ip_sum Value ignored, will be automatically set; ip_src Must be an IP address currently assigned to one of the local interface or INADDR_ANY; ip_dst Any address; ip_opts Any option. The maximum length of a IMCP message that can be sent is controlled by the sysctl variable net.inet.raw.maxdgram. DIAGNOSTICS
A socket operation may fail with one of the following errors returned: [EISCONN] when trying to establish a connection on a socket which already has one, or when trying to send a datagram with the destina- tion address specified and the socket is already connected; [ENOTCONN] when trying to send a datagram, but no destination address is specified, and the socket hasn't been connected; [ENOBUFS] when the system runs out of memory for an internal data structure; [EADDRNOTAVAIL] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a network address for which no network interface exists; [EINVAL] when an invalid value is used with IMCP datagram socket for a field of the IP or ICMP header. SEE ALSO
send(2), recv(2), intro(4), inet(4), ip(4) HISTORY
The icmp protocol appeared in 4.3BSD. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution June 19, 2002 4.3 Berkeley Distribution