Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: logoff ghost user
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers logoff ghost user Post 4450 by LivinFree on Tuesday 24th of July 2001 09:46:49 PM
Old 07-24-2001
Wouldn't it be safer to do a `kill -1` or `kill -HUP` on each of those idle or zombie sessions? I suppose that a -15 or -9 would be needed in some cases, but if you made a mistake, it would be easier to recover from Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logoff idle user script

Will someone please share a script with me that will read in each line of the who -u output and if idle time is more than 50 min, execute a kill on the PID? This is what I have so far: who -u | cut -c 40-56 I am comfortable in the korn shell, but I can broaden my horizons if you've got... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
4 Replies

2. AIX

Logoff a user...

Hi... could anyone tell me how to kill a user session on my server with out affecting other user? Bala (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
6 Replies

3. SCO

Apparent logoff’s due to inactivity.

I have run across an issue with the last two Dell Poweredge servers I have attempted to deploy. I seems that when a telnet session sits idle for 5 to 30 minutes (seems random) the session is being closed and users are logged off. If the session has user activity there is no problem staying... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gadgetman
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

list the names of users who logoff in last 4 minutes

i am new to unix shell program, please someone hint me how to get the names of users who make logouts in last 4 minutes? i dont need complete script, but only the guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jax_anchal
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running a script during logoff

I know we can put whatever we need to run during login inside /etc/profile or .profile file. I want to run a set of commands before logoff. Where should I put my commands/scripts? Is such facility available? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar_l
3 Replies

6. AIX

Track user logoff in AIX 5.3

Hi Does anybody know if there is a way in AIX 5.3 to track how a user was logged off? For instance where the user typed exit, hit crtl D, shell process was killed, etc. I know of the last log entries but this just shows a users login time and duration. I also tried syslog but I only get login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimyo
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logon/Logoff script

I need help for writing a logon/logoff script for recording user's computer usage time. This is for local login only, not for ssh or something like that. When a user logon, there should be a temp file (/home/acct/login_temp) generated including the logname and logon time information in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimx
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case Statement for Login/Logoff Script

I'm currently trying to write a login script. I have already written a logoff script that uses an if/else statement. #!/bin/bash TIMED=$(date +%H) if ' then echo Have a Great Day $USER else echo Have a Great Night $USER fi But I'd like to write one that give me the option of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbowers
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script stops after logoff...why??

Hi' i am runing a script thats run with a loop...while loop true. when i exit the server..logon and again the script doenst run. its a bash script test.sh. i run it as: #./test.sh & what can be the priblem please? thanks alot (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigizag
6 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Blank Screen after logoff server via vnc Viewer.

Hello All, I have installed VNC Server on Ubuntu system to access this system from windows machine i'm using VNC Viewer. When i logged off the server from windows machine through VNC Viewer its showing blank screen only... Kindly help. Regards, Purushottam Aher (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
0 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operands. Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following PIDs have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The kill utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Terminate the processes with PIDs 142 and 157: kill 142 157 Send the hangup signal (SIGHUP) to the process with PID 507: kill -s HUP 507 Terminate the process group with PGID 117: kill -- -117 SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), sh(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD