Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pass parameter back to calling program Post 43452 by jthomas on Tuesday 18th of November 2003 02:57:54 AM
Old 11-18-2003
Question pass parameter back to calling program

Hi all,

I am running AIX version 4. I have a shell script that is calling another script. I want the called script to obtain a value and pass it back to the calling script. So far, I know that to pass a parameter to a called script is as such:

sh proc2.sh $1 $2 etc.

What I don't know how to do though is pass a parameter back the other way. Can any one help??

Thanks
Jules

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required to pass the parameter

i am calling a pl/sql procedure through a shell script, there is one IN and 2 OUT parameter required to pass to the procedure to execute.. My procedure is XX_CITIDIRECT_EXP_PKG.main_proc and In parameter is p_period which I wanto to pass 'MAY-06'. Can anyone figure out, whats is wrong here ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a parameter

Hi all, How to pass a parameter from a oracle pl/sql procedure parameter to shell environment and use it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calling process and going back to the main loop

hi everyone , i want to read an option and depending on the option call the program .For ex #! /bin/ksh export JAVA_HOME=/home/oracle/jdk1.6.0_20 echo " Please enter mod-modeler, dev - sqldeveloper" read choice if ; then echo ' SQL DEVELOPER IS STARTING NOW ... ' cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdev
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass the parameter value to a... ?

Hello I have a simple code like this one: #!/bin/ksh VER=$1 cat /usr/text | while read line do echo $line done Let's say $1=1.0.0 and the contents of text is: abcd.cfg asdf I would like the output to be like this abcd1.0.0.cfg asdf1.0.0 I am thinking of passing the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Calling compiled C program with Perl program

Long story short: I'm working inside of a Unix SSH under a bash shell. I have to code a C program that generates a random number. Then I have to call the compiled C program with a Perl program to run the C program 20 times and put all the generated random #s into a text file, then print that text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdkirby
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass value back to unix variable

i had this unix korn shell code that connects to oracle database and execute the oracle procedure. i need to add a variable that indicates the oracle procedure failed. basically the variable is to check if the oracle procedure failed it will assign 1 and when the variable is equal to 1 it will not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the environment name while calling java program from unix script?

Hi, I'm trying to test one unix shell script in dev environment. But I'm not sure how to pass the environment in my java program calling code. I'm trying to use -DconsumerEnv="DEV" but unfortunately I get 'null' while trying to print the value from java class. System.out.println("Environment: "+... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramit
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter

Hi, I have following for loop , please let me know how to get ${TXP_EXT_TABLE_${i}_SQL} parameter with 1DAY and 7DAY values. for i in 1DAY 7DAY do ${NZSQL_DIR}/nzsql -h ${HOST} -time -v ON_ERROR_STOP=1 -f ${SQL_DIR}/${TXP_EXT_TABLE_${i}_SQL} > ${TMP_LOG_FILE} 2>&1 done ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get front and back parameter of each characters?

I have list of words file. I trying to get a front and back parameter of each characters of words. hello .... .... Here is what I have done: awk '{ word=$1; len=length(word); tlen=2*len-1; for (i=1; i<len; i++) a="#"; for (j=1; j<=len; j++) a=substr(word,j,1); ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: paranrat
15 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)