Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If file exists (bourne shell) Post 43403 by pressy on Monday 17th of November 2003 09:06:55 AM
Old 11-17-2003
#!/usr/bin/sh
if [ -f ./pressyfile ]
then
echo blabla
else
echo nonblabla
fi

greetings Preßy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and replace a value- Bourne and Korn shell

Hello, I have a file called Delete and within the delete file I have the following statement: delete from employee where employee_id = " " how do I write a script that read from this file and replace: employee_id = " " with employee_id is null Please assist...greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenix
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I test for the presence of a file in Bourne Shell

How do I test for the presence of a file in Bourne Shell (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vins
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chek if a file exists in Ubuntu and Cent OS using shell script

I have tried few examples in the internet but all of them are different and none worked. I need to check if a file exists in a directory if it does not then exit . here is what I have for now $filename ="/usr/local/net/var/lib/directoryservice/sync.disable" if ; then echo "The file exists"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_kk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"if exists" Bourne Shell

hi all! new to the forum and i love how nice alot of you are. and i was hoping to get some help. a friend of mine asked me to make him a script for backtrack which is based on slax. it makes a new changes.lzm for the usb system and merges 2 files to update it. now i got that handled but i cant seem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcstalljr
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete File 5 Min old in Unix (Bourne Shell)??

Guys, I am writing a script to delete files 5 min old in Sun Os Unix. find . -name "*.txt" -mtime +1 -print I could find an equivalent command to look for files which are 5 min old. i tried -mmin option it didn't work either. Can any body trow a light on this. Cheers :) S:b: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharma
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check if any file exists in 4 folders

Hi All, working on AIX 5.3. Requirement is: Shell script in ksh to check if any file exists in 4 folders as below: 1. /FILE/INB/INT1 2. /FILE/INB/INT2 3. /FILE/INB/INT3 4. /FILE/INB/INT4 Thanks a lot for your time! a1_win. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists using a NOT operator and shell variable

Hi, I'm new to UNIX, at least shell programming and am having trouble figuring out a problem i'm having. In one section in my nested if statement, i want the program to test if the file does not exist, based on an argument supplied at the command line by the user. What i have is elif ; then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowlf
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the repetition values in a file using bourne shell

Hi all, I have a scenario, like consider a file abc.txt, inside abc.txt, the contents is value1 = aaa, value2 = bbb, value3 = ccc, value1 = ddd. In this situation i need to throw an error for the repeatation of keys like "value1" is repeating twice. how to handle this using bourne... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandagopal
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open a file from within a Bourne shell Script

I am suppose to make a program that cuts the extension off of a file. It uses that .ext to decide which program needs to be used to open the file. This only finds the name of the program from a list of programs I made. My problem is when it has the name of the program it needs to use, how can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dordrix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine a shell variable exists in file?

Hi Folks, Trying to build up a script that will lookup a username invoked as: ./buildscript.sh <username> This should take <username> and look it up in <username_file> and prepare for further processing. Here is the snippet that isn't working just right: user=$1 if ]; then echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gdenton
1 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)