Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Access with console.
Operating Systems HP-UX Access with console. Post 41997 by TioTony on Monday 20th of October 2003 11:19:53 PM
Old 10-21-2003
We use Digi PortServer II for our older boxes and the GSP port on the newer boxes to get a text console. Both work well for us.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console access via serial port - settings

looking for the answer to console port access via 25pin serial. Can i tip in from another unix box for access? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simplimarvelous
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User Access Problem: Via Telnet or even Console

Just took over a UNIX Server from someone who left our company. Having problems with access by some existing users as well as new users. I get the following message from telnet sessions, when attempting access at the "Login:" prompt: "UX:in.login:ERRO: Login incorrect" "telnetd:Unable to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vincent Garcia
2 Replies

3. AIX

cant telnet to aix 5.2 and not even access through serial console

I have installed aix 5.2 on aix box through serial console connected to COM 1 . I even get a login prompt after the fresh installation . But as soon as i give a root & enter i again get a login prompt.i..e I am not able to logon after a fresh installation. and even i configured IP configuration... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnightowl84
0 Replies

4. Solaris

USB Console access on Solaris 9 x86

Hi Guys, I installed solaris 9 on my laptop(x86). I want to access the solaris console by attaching another laptop to this. But i do not have a Serial Port on the laptop on which I installed Solaris. I was wondering whether there was an option of console access through a USB2USB or using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: com2com
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Sunfire V100 console access

Hi guys, My current set up is I have a Laptop running redhat linux. This acts as an SSH server, and i use it to console into the LOM-A port on my Sunfire V100 using minicom. The idea is that I can remotely access and test things out. This works great, but I've just bought another V100 server... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
15 Replies

6. SCO

how do I add a user with privs to console access?

how do you add a new user to a SCO system that has the ability to log into the console and get the graphical desktop? i tried: useradd test passwd test **** but when i log try to log into the console it gives me a bunch of permissions errors... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herot
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

8. AIX

P550 Unable to access Console

I have recently aquired the following machine: IBM,9113-550 Up until yesterday we could connect a dumb terminal to serial port 1 and get console login. However the dumb terminal died. We are now using a laptop with a null modem cable attached to serial port 1. This works perfectly for all of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsw7724
1 Replies

9. AIX

How to access console for P650 server.

Hi Everyone, we had a one IBM P650 standalone server, planning to install AIX OS on top of it, I don't have HMC, is their a way to access to console of the server using serial cable or any other option for installing OS on top of it. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby320
1 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Solaris: Not able to access E2900 console

Hi, I have a scheduled activity to reboot E2900 server. But suddenly I came to know that console ip is not pinging, not connecting via telnet, as it used to connect. I already checked with my onsite person and he changed cable, still no luck. Network person checked his switch, which is showing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
8 Replies
VLOCK(1)						      General Commands Manual							  VLOCK(1)

NAME
vlock - Virtual Console lock program SYNOPSIS
vlock vlock [ -a,--all ] [ -c,--current ] [ -h,--help ] [ -v,--version ] DESCRIPTION
vlock is a program to lock one or more sessions on the Linux console. This is especially useful for Linux machines which have multiple users with access to the console. One user may lock his or her session(s) while still allowing other users to use the system on other vir- tual consoles. If desired, the entire console may be locked and virtual console switching disabled. By default, only the current VC (virtual console) is locked. With the -a,-all option all VCs are locked. The locked VCs cannot be unlocked without the invoker's password. And, for the paranoid, vlock makes it a trying experience for those attempting to guess the pass- word, so unauthorized access to session(s) is highly unlikely. Please note that it is entirely possible to completely lock yourself out of the console with the -a,--all option if you cannot remember your password! Unless you are able to kill vlock by logging in remotely via a serial terminal or network, a hard reset is the only method of ``unlocking'' the display. vlock works for console sessions primarily. However, there is support for trying to lock non-console sessions as well, but that support has not been well tested. OPTIONS
-a,--all Lock all console sessions and disable VC switching. -c,--current Lock the current session (this is the default). -h,--help Print a brief help message. -v,--version Print the version number of vlock. AUTHOR
Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> Linux User's Manual 16 May 1996 VLOCK(1)