Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Maximizing 20GB HDD space
Operating Systems Solaris Maximizing 20GB HDD space Post 41486 by pressy on Tuesday 7th of October 2003 09:07:26 AM
Old 10-07-2003

hiho,
first of all never call a sun "PC" !! *hehe* you are sitting in front of a workstation... PC=IBM/x86
so.......
pls post your solaris version:
# uname -a
pls post your disks
# echo | format
pls post how you formated it

perhabs you format only one partition !?! with
# format
you get into a partion-tool choose the new disk and look whether the system knows what type of disk it is.... otherwise you would have to define it your selfe (cyl, head, ...)

greetings Preßy

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximizing an xterm or aixterm window?

Is there a way to maximize an xterm window in a ksh script? I've tried a number of approaches, but none seem to have the desired affect. All I want to accomplish is to have the window maximized upon being called in the script...i.e: xterm -T MyNewXterm -e programToOpen & | maximized --or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spieterman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HDD free space check

Hi, I need to add a condition in a script. The script is executed only if there is free 8 Gigas space. I know if then fi I don't know how to write the condition on free space Thanks :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pppswing
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX using unused HDD space

Hello, I have a system with HP-UX 11.23 installed on it. There are ~36GB of unused space on the HDD. I did a very basic installation, and it created the usual volume group /dev/vg00. When I look at the output of ioscan -funC disk, I see this (and more, but irrelevant to this post): disk ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goon12
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Free space of HDD ?

Friends , Using which command I can see the free space or usage of the Total HDD in Linux RHEL ? suppose Imy HDD is 10GB space . I have to insall RHEL 5 using 6 GB space . Now i have 4 GB space free in my total HDD . Now using which cammand I see this 4 GB free space ? Wating for kind... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Maximizing X window without Window Switcher

Hi everyone! I have a strange situation. I'm running an NX remote Gnome desktop session. On the remote machine, there is a whole load of unsaved data in a window. A problem that I've been having with this NX session is that I can't load Gnome Applets, including the Window Switcher. So.. when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexandicity
0 Replies

8. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies
diskscan(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      diskscan(1M)

NAME
diskscan - perform surface analysis SYNOPSIS
diskscan [-W] [-n] [-y] raw_device DESCRIPTION
diskscan is used by the system administrator to perform surface analysis on a portion of a hard disk. The disk portion may be a raw parti- tion or slice; it is identified using its raw device name. By default, the specified portion of the disk is read (non-destructive) and errors reported on standard error. In addition, a progress report is printed on standard out. The list of bad blocks should be saved in a file and later fed into addbadsec(1M), which will remap them. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Causes diskscan to suppress linefeeds when printing progress information on standard out. -W Causes diskscan to perform write and read surface analysis. This type of surface analysis is destructive and should be invoked with caution. -y Causes diskscan to suppress the warning regarding destruction of existing data that is issued when -W is used. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?[ps]?. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbadsec(1M), disks(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the diskscan, addbad- sec(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS format utility; however, to label, ana- lyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 diskscan(1M)