Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Reading a file into a C++ script Post 41481 by Breen on Tuesday 7th of October 2003 07:20:01 AM
Old 10-07-2003
Reading a file into a C++ script

Hi,
I'm trying to read a file in with and assigne the stream to a char * type. I've manged it using the cin.get returning type char, but am having run-time problems returning a char *. For example,

char *pStream = "file.txt";

ifstream from(pStream);
from.open(pStream);

cin.get(pStream, FileSize, '\n');

However, the pStream in cin.get(pStream, FileSize, '\n'); does not seem to work at run-time, as it just hangs.
Txs
Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to reading a file

hi, I have a file containing names, say n number of names, sample file robin smith dallas frey cook all these names are in a file name called names.txt and it is placed in a directory called /data/names all i want is to write a script, which will read from the file and gives the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script. Please help its urgent Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for reading an input file

#!/bin/sh rpt="/export/home/legato/rpt_offsite"/test_eject.tape cat <$rpt while read line do echo $line perform routine done I am trying to read the contents of this file line by line and perform a routine for each line read. The file contents are numbers.. What is wrong with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gzs553
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Reading a Password file

How do I Authenticate users with a Password file that I have build using PWP - Password Privacy Password file contents are as under bash-2.03$ cat passwd.cf janes hostname Q+BejYC7AxGVv21TiAiUYQ== user janes /tmp/pwp_access.cf Now two things I need from a script If the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srirams
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file reading through shell script

For reading a file through shell script I am using yhe code : while read line do echo $line done<data.txt It reads all the line of that file data.txt. Content of data.txt looks like: code=y sql=y total no of sql files=4 a.sql b.sql c.sql d.sql cpp=n c=y total no of c files=1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX script for reading a file and creating another file

Hi, I am a beginner in scripting...I have to do a script where I have to read a file which has list of job names, line by line and for every line execute a dsjob command to find the log details of the job and extract only the start time of the job, if it is greater than jan 01 2008 and create... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need in perl script reading from file

Need perl script, data file will be csv format. I have text file contains 2 colums. Filename Foldernumber aaaa 13455 bbbb 23465 cccc 26689 I have two location 1. files present and 2. folders present. I need to search for file and folder if folder... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnkumar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
GETS(3) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   GETS(3)

NAME
fgetc, fgets, getc, getchar, gets, ungetc - input of characters and strings SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int fgetc(FILE *stream); char *fgets(char *s, int size, FILE *stream); int getc(FILE *stream); int getchar(void); char *gets(char *s); int ungetc(int c, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
fgetc() reads the next character from stream and returns it as an unsigned char cast to an int, or EOF on end of file or error. getc() is equivalent to fgetc() except that it may be implemented as a macro which evaluates stream more than once. getchar() is equivalent to getc(stdin). gets() reads a line from stdin into the buffer pointed to by s until either a terminating newline or EOF, which it replaces with ''. No check for buffer overrun is performed (see BUGS below). fgets() reads in at most one less than size characters from stream and stores them into the buffer pointed to by s. Reading stops after an EOF or a newline. If a newline is read, it is stored into the buffer. A '' is stored after the last character in the buffer. ungetc() pushes c back to stream, cast to unsigned char, where it is available for subsequent read operations. Pushed - back characters will be returned in reverse order; only one pushback is guaranteed. Calls to the functions described here can be mixed with each other and with calls to other input functions from the stdio library for the same input stream. For non-locking counterparts, see unlocked_stdio(3). RETURN VALUE
fgetc(), getc() and getchar() return the character read as an unsigned char cast to an int or EOF on end of file or error. gets() and fgets() return s on success, and NULL on error or when end of file occurs while no characters have been read. ungetc() returns c on success, or EOF on error. CONFORMING TO
ANSI - C, POSIX.1 BUGS
Never use gets(). Because it is impossible to tell without knowing the data in advance how many characters gets() will read, and because gets() will continue to store characters past the end of the buffer, it is extremely dangerous to use. It has been used to break computer security. Use fgets() instead. It is not advisable to mix calls to input functions from the stdio library with low - level calls to read() for the file descriptor associ- ated with the input stream; the results will be undefined and very probably not what you want. SEE ALSO
read(2), write(2), ferror(3), fopen(3), fread(3), fseek(3), puts(3), scanf(3), unlocked_stdio(3) GNU
1993-04-04 GETS(3)