Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Termcap Definitions
Operating Systems Linux Termcap Definitions Post 41332 by RTM on Thursday 2nd of October 2003 04:39:07 PM
Old 10-02-2003
Since no one has answered - figured to throw in my 2 cents.

I looked at termcap on my server (Solaris) and it doesn't have control characters - it does have ^J and others, but if you move the cursor across them, they are each two characters, the ^ and then the letter. So double check that these are actually escape characters. If not, you don't need the next part.

But, in vi, you can add a control character. Go into Input mode and use the Control key and V together and then use the Control key and the letter you need.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TermCap Error w/Anzio SSH

I have a sco unix 5.0.7 unix box with open SSH and have Soft Talk floor software I use on it. http://www.floorsoftware.com/index2.html I use Anzio 15u full Terminal with SSH to remotely connect. I connect fine and get to the Soft Talk Menu. I choose Pricing ok, then proceed to the next menu to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PCTECH
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Termcap

Hi all! What is the TERMCAP variable? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aitor314
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no entry in termcap for 'hp'

Hello, I have one application (top) for Solaris that exits with error "no entry in termcap for 'hp'". What can I do with system to fix it? Is it access problem to termcap file or real corruption inside the file since I know that HP is defined in termcap? ... or changes to environment... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

function definitions file for bc

Hello, All :) ...I just figured out how to setup a function definitions file for bc...I was going to create lots more functions for it, but I'll bet that a huge file with tons of definitions has already been written...? Thanx in advance for any replies, Pudnik (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pudnik
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ncurses function key problem - termcap ??

My ncurses program has been displaying "OP" (junk) on pressing F1 (instead of catching it). I have finally discovered that it runs fine (traps F1) when run under screen (program), but not in my login terminal (xterm-color) I did a check of "Set" and "env" under screen, there is a "TERMCAP"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
0 Replies

6. AIX

/etc/subsync parms definitions ?

In our Cron table, we have the /etc/subsync client ipadr1 ipadr2 Each ipadr is an actual IP adress. I think it has something to do with synchronizing the clock between servers, but what is the ipadr2 for ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

screen - termcap problem

Hi I`ve got problem with screen. After i launch screen i get flying list of : ---(example) Name collision between cad68-3 cad68-3 Name collision between cad68-2 cad68-2 Name collision between cops10 cops10 Name collision between d132 d132 MH Name collision between d800 d800 M7 Name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chesti
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Definitions/explanations

Just wondering: Can anyone tell me what is meant by the term 'interactive shell" or 'built-in commands' - for example, if I type 'man set' I get a page listing all the 'built in commands' but no explanation of what they are as a concept or what they do. And while I'm here: I was wondering as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Scigraphica-termcap installation

Hi all, I am trying to install Scigraphica on Ubuntu 8.10 and Termcap needs to be installed. I cannot find or install Termcap by Synaptic package manager (sudo apt-get install does not work either). I found in some forums that Termcap is not available for Ubuntu 8.10, and ncurses-dev was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apprentice
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris +vi (not vim) not using xterm termcap entry

Well, apparently anyway. I have a Solaris 10/08 install using vi (not vim) and when I use vi to edit a file or go into cron, the screen goes into 25/80 mode and I have to send a reset or hard reset to get it back to my screen size (190x72 in this case). vi should be using the TERM environment... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
7 Replies
KEYBOARD(6)							   Games Manual 						       KEYBOARD(6)

NAME
keyboard - how to type characters DESCRIPTION
Keyboards are idiosyncratic. It should be obvious how to type ordinary ASCII characters, backspace, tab, escape, and newline. In Plan 9, the key labeled Return or Enter generates a newline (0x0A); if there is a key labeled Line Feed, it generates a carriage return (0x0D); Plan 9 eschews CRLFs. All control characters are typed in the usual way; in particular, control-J is a line feed and control-M a carriage return. On the PC and some other machines, the key labeled Caps Lock acts as an additional control key. The delete character (0x7F) may be generated by a different key, one near the extreme upper right of the keyboard. On the Next it is the key labeled (not the asterisk above the 8). On the SLC and Sparcstation 2, delete is labeled Num Lock (the key above Backspace labeled Delete functions as an additional backspace key). On the other keyboards, the key labeled Del or Delete generates the delete character. The view character (0x80), used by 81/2(1) and sam(1), causes windows to scroll forward. It is generally somewhere near the lower right of the main key area. The scroll character is generated by the VIEW key on the Gnot, the Alt Graph key on the SLC, and any of the three arrow keys <-, v, and -> on the other terminals. Characters in Plan 9 are runes (see utf(6)). Any 16-bit rune can be typed using a compose key followed by several other keys. The compose key is also generally near the lower right of the main key area: the NUM PAD key on the Gnot, the Alternate key on the Next, the Compose key on the SLC, the Option key on the Magnum, and either Alt key on the PC. After typing the compose key, type a capital and exactly four hexadecimal characters (digits and to to type a single rune with the value represented by the typed number. There are shorthands for many characters, comprising the compose key followed by a two- or three-character sequence. There are several rules guiding the design of the sequences, as illustrated by the following examples. The full list is too long to repeat here, but is contained in the file in a format suitable for grep(1) or look(1). A repeated symbol gives a variant of that symbol, e.g., ?? yields c. ASCII digraphs for mathematical operators give the corresponding operator, e.g., <= yields <=. Two letters give the corresponding ligature, e.g., AE yields AE. Mathematical and other symbols are given by abbreviations for their names, e.g., pg yields 9|. Chess pieces are given by a w or b followed by a letter for the piece (k for king, q for queen, r for rook, n for knight, b for bishop, or p for pawn), e.g., wk for a white king. Greek letters are given by an asterisk followed by a corresponding latin letter, e.g., *d yields d. Cyrillic letters are given by an at sign followed by a corresponding latin letter or letters, e.g., @ya yields . Script letters are given by a dollar sign followed by the corresponding regular letter, e.g., $F yields . A digraph of a symbol followed by a letter gives the letter with an accent that looks like the symbol, e.g., ,c yields c. Two digits give the fraction with that numerator and denominator, e.g., 12 yields 1/2. The letter s followed by a character gives that character as a superscript, e.g., s1 yields 1. Sometimes a pair of characters give a symbol related to the superimposition of the characters, e.g., cO yields (C). A mnemonic letter followed by $ gives a currency symbol, e.g., l$ yields L. Note the difference between B (ss) and u (micron) and the Greek B and u. FILES
/lib/keyboard sorted table of characters and keyboard sequences SEE ALSO
intro(1), ascii(1), tcs(1), 81/2(1), sam(1), cons(3), utf(6) KEYBOARD(6)