Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: umount error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers umount error Post 41205 by pressy on Tuesday 30th of September 2003 05:48:58 PM
Old 09-30-2003
the program as follow:
mount /dev/fd0135ds18 /mnt
cd /mnt
touch file1
cat /file2 >/mnt/file1
!! you are on the mountet directory !!
umount /dev/fd135ds18

the program as follow:
mount /dev/fd0135ds18 /mnt
touch /mnt/file1
cat /file2 >/mnt/file1
umount /dev/fd135ds18

now it should run.....

greetings Preßy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount

:confused: Twofold question for you unix "guru's" 1) When attempting to use the umount command I get a message stating that the partition that I want to unmount is busy. Is there another command that I need to use prior to the umount command to clear the partition of activity????? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rod23
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount, device busy, but..

I'm trying to unmount a file system, but umount says the device is busy. A fuser -c /myfs tells me that nothing on this fs is in use. Any idea? Oh, and btw, why isn't my signature beeing displayed? Show user's signature is enabled and I have entered one :/ (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sTorm
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

umount help

hi all, I inherit a Solaris7 system with /home mounted via a share from the NFS server. When I look at mnttab, there are two entries mounted under /home. Let's say they are server:/home/a and server:/home/b. I would like to maintain /home/a but not /home/b. However, I just don't know where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrec
4 Replies

4. Solaris

umount is failing

I am trying to umount a NFS share. When I do the following: # umount syrupg21 umount: /oebs/syrupg21: device is busy device bussy so I like to check what is working on the system.... # fuser -muv /oebs/syrupg21/ # So no locks should be there... any clue? Regards, Johan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntac
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to force umount

sorry, wrong section, mod please close thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertngo
0 Replies

6. Linux

Is umount -l dangerous?

I had a umount busy issue, that the usual fuser -mk did not solve, I did a umount -l and was able to unmount the device, I then got in trouble by the storage team staff: Here was a snippet of their response: Using "umount -l" is a potentially dangerous act. The command combination for a lazy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pastajet
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally umount -a

Hi all, I accidentally unmounted filesystems using umount -a command. How to recover from this. Please help. Thanks in advance! when i try to use mount -a i got the following output. # mount -a mount: /dev/vg00/lvol05 already mounted or /opt busy mount: /dev/vg00/lvol07 already... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umount CIFS

hi guys I have to umount a CIFS from a Windows machine...but it's been imposible there is one special task /sbin/umount.cifs /mondobackup that task cannot be kill...so I cannot umount the unit any idea how to kill this and umount this CIFS share? by the way I've tried umount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
5 Replies

9. SCO

NFS umount shows the "Device busy (Error 16)"

Hi there After making a backup copy of it sometimes happens that when I want to unmount an NFS indicates the error:umount: /path_mount busy: Device busy (Error 16) if I run lsoff, I can not find the process that is blocking the application. I'm using OpenServer 5.0.2c as one NFS server ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
14 Replies

10. Linux

Umount is not reflecting in losetup.

Hi, initially i will mount a image using loop device using below command mount -n -o loop,noatime,ro -t squashfs /mnt/fsh/bt.img /opt/app/test then "mount" reflects with below /dev/loop0 on /opt/app/test type squashfs (ro,noatime) i will then umount using below commnd, umount is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
0 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       Maintenance Commands						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root file system SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), mount(8), pivot_root(2), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux Feb 23, 2000 PIVOT_ROOT(8)