Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directory sizes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Directory sizes Post 40844 by TRUEST on Wednesday 24th of September 2003 08:30:35 AM
Old 09-24-2003
Directory sizes

Can someone tell me how to read these damn sizes.

i mean, i prefer to see sizes in MB but that is not the case when you do an ls -l on directories. i have a had time converting these to MB

just for verification purposes, what would a directory size like this = 3499990308 represent in MB
or something like this 29994??

or is there a rule i can follow to be able to calculate this crap on my own? honestly, if any revision needs to be made to unix, it should be the ability to make all these sizes VERY easy to read. unix is complicated enough to be wasting time on this nonsense

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on adding file sizes

Hi I need to take a list of files that are defined by an ls -ltr or grep for particular file names - and add up the byte size colum which is field 5 seperated by a space. I tried to do this but I think I am way off: for file in 'ls -ltr | grep 20070916 | nawk -F" " '{temp+=5} END {print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for checking and reporting file sizes in a directory.

Hi, Need help for a Script for checking and reporting database file sizes in a directory. Request you to please give your valuable inputs. Thanks a lot in advance. Best Regards, Marconi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare total directory structure and get sizes of all f on two different servers

Hello every one, Iam newbie to this forum and shell programming &scripting. i needed to compare each and every folder of two separate servers. Actually I have copied some directory structure from one server to second server, to build on second server the files all should be copied... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory sizes loop optimization

I have the following script: #!/usr/bin/ksh export MDIR=/datafiles NAME=$1 SERVER=$2 DIRECTORY=$3 DATABASE=$4 ID=$5 export dirlist=`/usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER find $DIRECTORY -type d -print` for dir in $dirlist do SIZE=`</dev/null /usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER du -ks $dir` echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: la_womn
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directories sizes

Hello everyone, can anybody help me in finding a way to obtain a list of all the directories and their sizes. I would like to be able to run this and obtain an output like a tree structure with each branch saying how much space it is taking up . Hope you can point me in the right direction.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file sizes

I have 2 big files in the size of gb. They are same with respect to content, both are “,” delimited. Now both of them are created by two different processes but has the same logic. The problem is they are differing only in few bytes for e.g one file is 202195751 bytes other is 202195773. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file sizes.

Hi everyone! I need to compare two file sizes. One of them (size) will be stored in a flat file and the other coming from a listed file. I can now get the first file size using: SIZE=`ls -l $DOCTYPE | awk '{print $5}'` 1. How can I store this value in a flat file? 2. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

df vs du for directory sizes

Is it better to use df or du to calculate directory sizes? I tried both and got different numbers with both. $ du -h /home 1.7G /home/bob1 1.7G /home $ df -h /home Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VG-lv_home 25G 1.9G 22G ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files names and sizes in a directory and output result to the file?

Hi , I'm trying to list the files and output is written to a file. But when I execute the command , the output file is being listed. How to exclude it ? /tmp file1.txt file2.txt ls -ltr |grep -v '-' | awk print {$9, $5} > output.txt cat output.txt file1.txt file2.txt output.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Partition Sizes

Good Morning, What's a good way to get partition/slice sizes down to the byte on Solaris 9? I've tried a few ways, but only see results like 8.21GB which rounds the number. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
5 Replies
GETHUGEPAGESIZES(3)					     Library Functions Manual					       GETHUGEPAGESIZES(3)

NAME
gethugepagesizes - Get the system supported huge page sizes SYNOPSIS
#include <hugetlbfs.h> int gethugepagesizes(long pagesizes[], int n_elem); DESCRIPTION
The gethugepagesizes() function returns either the number of system supported huge page sizes or the sizes themselves. If pagesizes is NULL and n_elem is 0, then the number of huge pages the system supports is returned. Otherwise, pagesizes is filled with at most n_elem page sizes. RETURN VALUE
On success, either the number of huge page sizes supported by the system or the number of huge page sizes stored in pagesizes is returned. On failure, -1 is returned and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EINVAL n_elem is less than zero or n_elem is greater than zero and pagesizes is NULL. Also see opendir(3) for other possible values for errno. This error occurs when the sysfs directory exists but cannot be opened. NOTES
This call will return all huge page sizes as reported by the kernel. Not all of these sizes may be usable by the programmer since mount points may not be available for all sizes. To test whether a size will be usable by libhugetlbfs, hugetlbfs_find_path_for_size() can be called on a specific size to see if a mount point is configured. SEE ALSO
oprofile(1), opendir(3), hugetlbfs_find_path_for_size(3), libhugetlbfs(7) AUTHORS
libhugetlbfs was written by various people on the libhugetlbfs-devel mailing list. October 10, 2008 GETHUGEPAGESIZES(3)