Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO BASH-like feature. is possible ? Post 40702 by davidg on Monday 22nd of September 2003 01:40:11 AM
Old 09-22-2003
Hi,

Most of the shells can use the arrow keys. Korn-shell (standard on your OS) can do it as well. It's just a matter of telling him to do.

"set -o vi" will set him in vi mode
"set -o emacs" will set him in emacs mode.

I think vi mode will get the most close to your needs. Maybe someone else knows the best option for you. (Don't know how bash exact works)

Regs David

P.S. : If it is your job to maintain a server, I'dd defintly choose for h,j,k and l. What happens if your server dies and you should boot up in single user mode? First install bash?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

does anybody know what the bcb feature is in EMC?

does anybody know what the bcb feature is in EMC? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

is this an 11.31 feature? cpu sequence...

we got our first Itanium server, and was wondering if the cpu sequence listed below is normal? rx8640, running 11.31 System: myBOX Tue Mar 25 07:21:45 2008 Load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 219 processes: 187 sleeping, 31 running, 1 zombie Cpu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History feature in Unix

Hi, I'm working on two flavours of unix namely HP-UX and sun solaris. In HP-UX, for executing the previous commands, i use the arrow keys. But on sun solaris this is not working. Can anyone explain how to use history feature effectively in sun solaris os? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

To send ID and Password for each command using expect feature in bash script

Dear Tech Guys, I am trying to send some commands on the local server and it always asks for user name and password after each command. To serve the purpose I am using expect function as follows: #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout 20 spawn "./data1.sh" expect "Please Enter UserName: "... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xtreme
6 Replies
gitfm(1)						      General Commands Manual							  gitfm(1)

NAME
gitfm - GNU Interactive Tools File Manager SYNTAX
gitfm [options] [path1] [path2] DESCRIPTION
gitfm is a file system browser with some shell facilities which was designed to make your work easier and more efficient. The GNUIT package also contains gitps, an interactive process viewer/killer and gitview, a hex/ascii file viewer. More extensive documentation on gitfm and the other gnuit tools is available in info format, try 'info gnuit'. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -h Show summary of options. -v Show version of program. -c Use ANSI colours. -b Don't use ANSI colours. -l Don't use last screen character. -p Output the final path on exit NOTE
The main configuration file of the GNUIT package is gnuitrc.TERM where TERM is the value of the environment variable 'TERM' e.g for Linux console your environment contains something like 'TERM=linux' so the configuration file name is gnuitrc.linux. You can (and should) have a configuration file for each terminal type you use. If you customise git, the version of the config file in your home directory should have a leading ".", eg .gnuitrc.linux. FILE-SYSTEM BROWSER gitfm is made of two panels. The left one and the right one. Each one contains a file system directory. You can browse the directory tree with the usual cursor keys and pressing ENTER when you want to enter or leave a directory. You may change the panels by pressing TAB. See also BUILT-IN COMMANDS. INPUT LINE
Under the two panels there is a shell like input line which you can use to type normal shell commands. The input line supports unlimited characters and keeps a history of the typed commands. gitfm uses the GNU history library for that. See also BUILT-IN COMMANDS. WARNINGS AND ERRORS REPORTING
Under the input line there is a status bar. You can see there the status of the currently executed command, the warnings and errors and you will be prompted if a decision has to be taken. BUGS
Please send bug reports to: gnuit-dev@gnu.org SEE ALSO
termcap(5) terminfo(5) sh(1) ps(1) mount(8) umount(8) gitps(1) gitview(1) gitaction(1) gitmount(1) gitkeys(1) gitrgrep(1) gitunpack(1) AUTHORS
Tudor Hulubei <tudor@cs.unh.edu> Andrei Pitis <pink@pub.ro> Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> (Current maintainer) gitfm(1)