Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command is respawning too rapidly..message Post 39733 by finster on Thursday 28th of August 2003 06:16:34 PM
Old 08-28-2003
Thanks for all the replies and help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some kind of message command

Hello All, hope someone here can help me with this. I am a new unix system administrator on the HP-UX machine. Every night, our operators back up our file system using one tape but as of recently, our files have gotten bigger and it now requires 2 tapes for a complete backup. Since the operators... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjit
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

not sure what this message means, last command

in the last command..........what's this mean? i truncated the user name for obvious reasons, b b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX respawning boot failure

Hello. System is a HP Visualize C3600 running X11 and after a power failure machine will not boot (see error messages below) From what I've read, this may be caused by a corrupted etc/inittab file. Solution suggested on other websites is to boot in single user mode and edit file inittab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: westcoast
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

INIT: Command respawning too rapidly

INIT:Command is respawning too rapidly Check for errors: id:cons /usr/sbin/getty console console A solution I read about in a different HPUX Forums help pages on line, said to add the -h option to this command in the /etc/inittab file to correct the problem. I tried this and it did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1bigdog
2 Replies

5. AIX

mkitab problem with /etc/inittab respawning

Hi All, May be a dumb question to old AIX hacks, if so apologize. I have worked with /etc/inittab on SCO, but apparently with AIX you should use the 'mkitab' command to add entries instead of just vi'ing the file. I just need a daemon process (script called 'dpr_daemon') to kick off once and... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
19 Replies

6. Red Hat

ls command with a welcome message !

Dear Friends , Is it possible to generate a welcome message when I give the command "ls" from a particular user's home directory in Unix/Linux platform ? suppose , in following example , bash-3.00# whoami root bash-3.00# ls When I give ls command then it shows the output as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Server load rapidly increases resulting in complete freeze

Hi All, I run Linux server that hosts PHP/MySQL web-projects. The problem is that it becomes irresponsive periodically, avg. load rapidly goes up to 100.0 and more and I have to do cold reboot. Usually this sudden increase happens in 1-2 mins and it's very difficult to catch this moment in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: livedatesearch
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help with AWK to parse rapidly changing XML messages

Hi Guy's Can I please get some help with this code. I have xml feed file which rapidly changing temporary file and I need to capture the content of this file as soon as data arrives. Example of the data Required data output Time is current time. This is awk code that I have so far... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: James_Owen
4 Replies

9. Solaris

ZFS: /system/zones "respawning" on rpool

Hi, I have this fresh installation of Solaris 11.3 sparc. I have two zfs pools both using two disks in mirroring mode, both are online. I want to move /system/zones, currently rpool/VARSHARE/zones, from rpool to the other zfs pool so my zones don't consume space on the disks allocated to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: X96
1 Replies
shutdown(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      shutdown(1M)

NAME
shutdown - shut down system, change system state SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/shutdown [-y] [-g grace-period] [-i init-state] [message] DESCRIPTION
shutdown is executed by the super user to change the state of the machine. In most cases, it is used to change from the multi-user state (state 2) to another state. By default, shutdown brings the system to a state where only the console has access to the operating system. This state is called single- user. Before starting to shut down daemons and killing processes, shutdown sends a warning message and, by default, a final message asking for confirmation. message is a string that is sent out following the standard warning message "The system will be shut down in ..." If the string contains more than one word, it should be contained within single (') or double (") quotation marks. The warning message and the user provided message are output when there are 7200, 3600, 1800, 1200, 600, 300, 120, 60, and 30 seconds remaining before shutdown begins. See EXAMPLES. System state definitions are: state 0 Stop the operating system. state 1 State 1 is referred to as the administrative state. In state 1 file systems required for multi-user operations are mounted, and logins requiring access to multi-user file systems can be used. When the system comes up from firmware mode into state 1, only the console is active and other multi-user (state 2) services are unavailable. Note that not all user processes are stopped when transitioning from multi-user state to state 1. state s, S State s (or S) is referred to as the single-user state. All user processes are stopped on transitions to this state. In the single-user state, file systems required for multi-user logins are unmounted and the system can only be accessed through the console. Logins requiring access to multi-user file systems cannot be used. state 5 Shut the machine down so that it is safe to remove the power. Have the machine remove power, if possible. The rc0 procedure is called to perform this task. state 6 Stop the operating system and reboot to the state defined by the initdefault entry in /etc/inittab. The rc6 procedure is called to perform this task. OPTIONS
-y Pre-answer the confirmation question so the command can be run without user intervention. -g grace-period Allow the super user to change the number of seconds from the 60-second default. -i init-state If there are warnings, init-state specifies the state init is to be in. By default, system state `s' is used. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using shutdown In the following example, shutdown is being executed on host foo and is scheduled in 120 seconds. The warning message is output 2 minutes, 1 minute, and 30 seconds before the final confirmation message. example# shutdown -i S -g 120 "===== disk replacement =====" Shutdown started. Tue Jun 7 14:51:40 PDT 1994 Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:51:41... The system will be shut down in 2 minutes ===== disk replacement ===== Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:52:41... The system will be shut down in 1 minutes ===== disk replacement ===== Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:53:41... The system will be shut down in 30 seconds ===== disk replacement ===== Do you want to continue? (y or n): FILES
/etc/inittab controls process dispatching by init ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boot(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), killall(1M), reboot(1M), ufsdump(1M), init.d(4), inittab(4), nologin(4), attributes(5) NOTES
When a system transitions down to the S or s state, the /etc/nologin file (see nologin(4)) is created. Upon subsequent transition to state 2 (multi-user state), this file is removed by a script in the /etc/rc2.d directory. SunOS 5.10 9 May 2001 shutdown(1M)