Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: routing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers routing Post 39532 by mrthrt on Thursday 21st of August 2003 02:39:55 PM
Old 08-21-2003
Sorted,

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 does turn on routing, however the command needs to be entered after every reboot. I know a startup script will sort this, but Apples implementation of startup scripts seems pretty weird to me (newbie remember). Also I THINK it may be possible to recompile the kernel. A simpler solution is to edit the /etc/hostconfig file so that the entry that reads;

IPFORWARDING=-NO-

Reads;

IPFORWARDING=-YES-

once this is done, it all springs into life. The only hiccup was that the internet gateway was on the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet and machines on the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet could not browse the internet. This was solved by entering a static route into the appropriate gateway,eg;

192.168.10.0/24 gateway 10.10.150.10

This tells the gateway where to find the next hop for the 192.168.10.0 network.

Thanks for the help.

Martin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Routing

I have SCO Unix. I have 2 routers. as it is now, when someone telnets to UNIX and goes through router #1 everything is fine. The users who go through router #2 can not connect at all. I talked to CISCO and they said I need to set up a second Gateway on UNIX. They said what is happening is that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john fli
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Routing

ok i configured my gateway and IP address(es) using ifconfig and route.. but how can i bind unique IPs to users ? (im using FreeBSD 4.2 RELEASE #3) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevilGREEN
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

routing

Hi, in which file and how shuold be decalred a gateway and its IP adresse ? Where and how add a gateway ? Many thanks before. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

4. Linux

Routing

Hello Friends I have two network cards eth0 192.168.100.1 eth1 10.0.0.1 There NIC connect with diff. LAN I want to make my Linux machine as a Router, Please tell me using IPTABLES command ROUTE command :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaibw
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

IP Routing

I am using RedHat Linux 9, In this box their are two lan intefaces. eth0 ====> LAN 192.168.100.100 255.255.255.0 eth1 ====> Internet Static IP 255.255.255.0 59.144.168.226 (Gateway) I want to define a gateway 59.144.168.226 for my LAN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaibw
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Routing tables

Hey guys, I needed to add a route to my routing table and I got it to work but on reboot it gets removed. Anyone know what file I can add this route to so it stays on the machine after a reboot? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
9 Replies

7. IP Networking

Routing table

Hi all, I am confusing with routing table, i use linux and iptables. i have 1 internet gateway, and 1 router for VPN. here is my network. eth0=192.168.0.1 eth1=192.168.100.1 192.168.0.0/24 --- eth0(Linux Box)eth1 ---(DSL)---Internet | ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Proper routing

I have a series of new machines that are internet facing (have IP's that are accessible via the 'net) and it has internal facing interfaces. I need to be able to communicate back to the internal network to a specific server which processes monitoring and e-mail traffic. I've been told that I should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX 5.3 Routing

Hey all you *Nix Gurus...I got a relatively simple one for ya. I just cloned an AIX 5.3 server without copy over the Network info. However, now I need to update the routing table on the destination server so that it mirrors the source. Aside from painstakingly, manually updating the ODM using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BlitzSonik
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about realloc routing

#include <malloc.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> int* allocat_array(void) { int *array; int tmp; int n_values = 0 ; array = malloc(sizeof(int)); if(array == NULL) return NULL; while(scanf("%d",&tmp) != EOF) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vincent__tse
1 Replies
localemanager(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  localemanager(8)

NAME
localemanager -- Configure OpenDirectory Server Locales SYNOPSIS
localemanager operation [-l localename] [-subnet 1.2.3.4/5] [-server servername] [-i IP address] DESCRIPTION
localemanager creates, destroys, and edits OpenDirectory Server Locale information. Locales are collections of OpenDirectory servers to assist clients in locating the nearest OpenDirectory Server. To use OpenDirectory Server Locales, simply create a locale on an OD server with the createLocale operation. Then add servers and subnets to the locale. All localemanager operations are performed on the local OpenDirectory node. The first time a locale is created, a DefaultLocale will automatically be created as well. The DefaultLocale will be used for any clients that don't match a subnet in any other locale. Before a locale can be configured, the server must already be an OpenDirectory server. Locales can be defined on each of the OD servers or on a single OD server in the group of OD master/replicas. For the latter, the locale information will get replicated to all of the other servers but locales will need to be "enabled" on the other servers by running the command localemanager enableLocales. Commands: help Displays the commands and options. createLocale Creates a new locale on the local OD server. This command requires the -l option. deleteLocale Deletes a locale from the local OD server. This command requires the -l option. showLocale Displays the current locale(s). The -l option can be used to display a specific locale. If -l is not specified, all locales are displayed. enableLocales Enables the use of locales on an OD server. This command is automatically run the first time any localemanager command is run on an OD server. Therefore this command only needs to be run if no other localemanager commands have been (or will be) run on this server. addSubnet Adds a new subnet to the specified locale. This command requires the -l -subnet options. removeSubnet Removes a subnet from the specified locale. This command requires -l -subnet options. addServer Adds a server to the specified locale. This command requires the -l -server options. If the -i option is specified, that IP address will be used by locale clients. This may be useful for multi-homed servers to restrict locale clients to a specific network interface. If the -i option is not specified the IP address(es) will be looked up. removeServer Removes a server from the specified locale. This command requires -l -server options. If the -i option is specified, only that IP address will be removed from the locale. If the -i option is no specified, all of the server's IP addresses will be removed from the locale. Options: -l locale Locale name. -subnet 192.168.0.0/16 Subnet specified in CIDR notation. -server server.example.com Server fully-qualified domain name. -i 192.168.1.1 Use this IP address for the server. Typically used to limit locale clients to a specific interface on a multi-homed server. FILES
/var/log/localemanager.log localemanager log file. SEE ALSO
slapconfig(8) HISTORY
First introduced in Mac OS X 10.7 Darwin June 2, 2019 Darwin