Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers create or modify user account to have same access as root Post 39129 by pressy on Thursday 7th of August 2003 11:41:13 AM
Old 08-07-2003
bash solaris

#!/usr/bin/bash
echo "which user: "
read USER
usermod -G root $USER
#end

greetings Preßy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify Root user account ?

How can I modify Root account ? (I want to change the default shell after logging in) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitlermom
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Root account disabled and unable to access console

Hi, hope someone could help me here: Our root account was disabled on our production server this morning and usually we would login at the console to re-enable the account. However we are unable to get a login prompt at the console. The console displays the 8 options along the bottom and a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AaronC
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to create a new ftp user account with limited access..?

Hi All, I'm using solaris 2.8, and I want create a new ftp user account with the following restrictions: - Have only ftp access, no telnet or rlogin - Have restricted access to its home directory example /export/home/newuser - Deny access to any other directory. Thanks for your help, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeremy3
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change other account password from root access

Hi, I have forgotten my personal account password but I still have the root access to the box. Please tell me how can I change my other account password by logging as root. Thanks. Rakesh :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
4 Replies

5. Debian

password less login to root from a user account

hello friends, one user is created named "user1" I login as "user1" . Now when i do "su -" to be root user I have to give password for root . Is there any way through which we can skip giving the password to root. i.e. user1@work:~$ su - Password: xxxxxx work:~$ I don't want that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

7. Solaris

How to see the root information from user loging account?

Hi friends when ever user tried to loging to the server from the user account.we can see the from who -u command.this was fine shut@erpqas $ who -u ipadmin pts/1 Mar 18 16:05 old 157 (10.5.23.74) ipadmin pts/3 Mar 19 08:29 old 11076 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help me create new user account

I want create user. That user should be login to any server without asking password. How? tell me in detail. :wall: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

10. AIX

Create another root account

Hi I would like to create another root account, for example root2. I added a new user named root2 and set it's uid and gid ( in /etc/passwd ) to 0. Then I logged in ( account root2 ) and the server asked to change the password, so I changed. And the problem happend. The password of both root... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
15 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string]... DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character is written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, is invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, ksh93's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape characters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's and ksh93's echo does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not understand the back-slashed escape characters. sh and ksh deter- mine whether /usr/ucb/echo is found first in the PATH and, if so, they adapt the behavior of the echo builtin to match /usr/ucb/echo. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it is treated as a string, not an option. The following char- acter sequences is recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2 /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3 sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4 csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5 /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. This variable is applicable only for Solaris x86 platforms, not Solaris SPARC systems. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), echo(1B), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' prints the phrase WARNING: and sounds the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo "337" | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "0337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.11 8 Apr 2008 echo(1)