Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file copy thru sash shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file copy thru sash shell Post 38375 by RTM on Tuesday 15th of July 2003 09:46:24 AM
Old 07-15-2003
According to this web page, you should be able to copy (although it's not recommended).

Everything else I found mentions using the cdrom drive except one that said to pull the drive, put it into another IRIX system, mount it and edit the /newmount/etc/passwd file (where newmount is where you actually mounted it).

Of course, you probably don't have another IRIX system - in which case, you are back to square one.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to search for text in a file and copy file

Compete noob question.... I need a script to search through a directory and find files containing text string abcde1234 for example and then copy that file with that text string to another directory help please :eek: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imeadows
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy/rename file as date() unix/shell

File.jpg I want to copy and rename this as 2008-12-02.jpg I tried this copy File.jpg date '%y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S'.jpg This doesnt work.... what do i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hdogg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a shell script to modify one line and copy the next 9 to same file

Hi everyone, the problem is quite simple, yet I can't find an easy solution using awk. I need to search for a string in $3, then if I find this string, copy the line,modify $3, and copy the next 9 lines to the same file. My problem is in the copying of the lines... Finding and modifying... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teroc
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - Copy File at intervals

Hi, I want to copy some files from a Folder say, /usr/X at random intervals to another location. Basically, new files will be dumped at random intervals to location /usr/X and I have to copy those new files to some other location (after copying, I cannot delete those files from source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris KSH shell script to copy all lines from one file to another

Hello, more of a windows wscript guy. However I took a new position that requires me to support some solaris servers. So... issue is that I need to copy all lines from a file to a temporary file and then copy them back into the original file starting at line 1. Reason I need to do this is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZigZaggin
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy file

Dear all, I have a database with thousands of files with the structure of name is: Filename_hour_year.abc Filename_hour_year_1.abc .............. So what I need is how to write a script that all file with contain the character "_1" will copy to "_2" For example: file name:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hainguyen1402
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use sed to copy specific lines from a file using shell variables?

hello! I am trying to use sed to copy specific set of lines from a file for which the starting and ending line numbers of the lines to be copied are stored in shell variables. How can i copy those lines? if the input_file is something like this and if the following is the script a=2 b=4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_ba
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy particular file from directories recursively

I have directory path in which there are several sub directories. In all these sub dir there will be one env.cnf file. I want to copy this env.cnf file from each sub dir's and place them in destination path by creating same filename as sub dir_env.cnf. After copying env.cnf files from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh shell scripting to copy a file

Hi. I am a new Unix admin and I've been tasked to write a ksh script that copies my .profile into my /home directory on all servers. I'm new to this and having a difficult time scripting it. Any ideas? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_tech
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in UNIX shell to copy part of file name to new file name

Hi, I want to do the following in a Unix shell script and wonder if someone could assist me? I want to take files in a specific directory that start with the name pxpur012 and copy them to the same directory with the file name not containg pxpur012. For example, I have files like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnemitz
4 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)