Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DNS on Solaris 9
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers DNS on Solaris 9 Post 37745 by kiddaniels on Friday 27th of June 2003 09:14:48 AM
Old 06-27-2003
Data DNS on Solaris 9

I installed bind 9 on Solaris 9 (intel) but don't know how to have the named service start on bootup. Is there a script hidden somewhere?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 5.8 DNS

Allright, Thanks to http://docs.sun.com I've got the tcp/ip portion of my box working now. I can see anything I want, as long as it's got a numerical address. Does anyone know how to add just a DNS entry? like reference my dns server, and configure my host name? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veitcha
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS on Solaris 2.6

I just setup Solaris 2.6 on my Sparc 10 and I cannot figure out how to configure my DNS settings. I am using @home as my ISP and they assigned me two DNS servers to use and a domain. I created a "resolv.conf" file in my etc folder and added the following exactly as shown: domain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Solaris DHCP and DNS

I have managed to setup my Solaris box to receive an IP number from a DHCP server. In addition, I can ping and telnet between my dhcp server and my solaris box using the IP number. However, I can't resolve addresses by name from my solaris box. In my nsswitch.conf file I have: hosts: dns ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marist89
4 Replies

4. Solaris

DNS on Solaris 9

How do I set the Primary and secondary DNS name server for a Sparc IIi running Solaris 9. I have already put them in the resolv.conf file but they still do not work. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atreus
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

6. Solaris

DNS Services on Solaris

We need a DNS Server on DNS 10. What the best product can i buy and install ? Help me, pls. Tks all. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quan0509
1 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris - BIND / DNS

hi all forgive my ignorance, but when IVe set up DNS Ive put in the various server details in the /etc/resolv.conf and away I go. Suddenly Ive been reading about DNS, and I need to created a /etc/named.conf file. so, my question is this. DNS, what part does the /etc/resolv.conf play in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris dns

Hi all, I have configured dns on solaris 10 and it is working fine but i want to add some other domains in this dns like yahoo and gmail. but i have no idea how to do this. I have added zone entry in named.conf and created a seperate zone file under /var/named/db.gmail.com. but when i use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sikander
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 - DNS / Issues / Help

Hi all Long time no speak, I hope you are all well. Im looking at a DNS issue here and reckon Igot a AD / DNS server issue elsewhere but need to rule out the configuration of my two server's first. IVe got the nameserver enteries in /etc/resolv.conf and dns in the /etc/nsswitch.conf ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to add new Solaris client IP into Solaris 10 DNS server?

Hi, We just built a new Solaris 10 zone. And would like to add it to our DNS server. Its also Solaris 10. Please let me know how can I get the IP resolved using this DNS server. I added entry into zone config file but not working. I did restarted the DNS services. And also added nameserver name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies
dhcp(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   dhcp(5)

NAME
dhcp - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DESCRIPTION
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) enables host systems in a TCP/IP network to be configured automatically for the network as they boot. DHCP uses a client/server mechanism: servers store configuration information for clients, and provide that information upon a client's request. The information can include the client's IP address and information about network services available to the client. This manual page provides a brief summary of the Solaris DHCP implementation. Solaris DHCP Client The Solaris DHCP client is implemented as background daemon, dhcpagent(1M). This daemon is started automatically during bootup if there exists at least one dhcp.interface file in /etc. Only interfaces with a corresponding /etc/dhcp.interface file are automatically configured during boot. Network parameters needed for system configuration during bootup are extracted from the information recieved by the daemon through the use of the dhcpinfo(1) command. The daemon's default behavior can be altered by changing the tunables in the /etc/default/dhc- pagent file. The daemon is controlled by the ifconfig(1M) utility. Check the status of the daemon using the netstat(1M) and ifconfig(1M) commands. Solaris DHCP Server The Solaris DHCP server is implemented as a background daemon, in.dhcpd(1M). This daemon can deliver network configuration information to either BOOTP or DHCP clients. The Solaris DHCP service can be managed using the dhcpmgr(1M) GUI or the command line utilities dhcpcon- fig(1M), dhtadm(1M), and pntadm(1M). DHCP Configuration Tables The Solaris DHCP server stores client configuration information in the following two types of tables: dhcptab tables Contain macros and options (also known as symbols), used to construct a package of configuration information to send to each DHCP client. There exists only one dhcptab for the DHCP service. The dhcptab(4) can be viewed and mod- ified using the dhtadm(1M) command or dhcpmgr(1M) graphical utility. See dhcptab(4) for more information about the syntax of dhcptab records. See dhcp_inittab(4) for more information about the DHCP options and symbols. DHCP network tables DHCP network tables, which contain mappings of client IDs to IP addresses and parameters associated with those addresses. Network tables are named with the IP address of the network, and can be created, viewed, and modified using the pntadm command or dhcpmgr graphical utility. See dhcp_network(4) for more information about network tables. SEE ALSO
dhcpinfo(1), dhcpagent(1M), dhcpconfig(1M), dhcpmgr(1M), dhtadm(1M), ifconfig(1M), in.dhcpd(1M), netstat(1M), pntadm(1M), syslog(3C), dhcp_network(4), dhcptab(4), dhcpsvc.conf(4), dhcp_inittab(4), dhcp_modules(5) Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide Alexander, S., and R. Droms. RFC 2132, DHCP Options and BOOTP Vendor Extensions. Silicon Graphics, Inc. Bucknell University. March 1997. Droms, R. RFC 1534, Interoperation Between DHCP and BOOTP. Bucknell University. October 1993. Droms, R. RFC 2131, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Bucknell University. March 1997. Wimer, W. RFC 1542, Clarifications and Extensions for the Bootstrap Protocol. Carnegie Mellon University. October 1993. SunOS 5.10 13 Mar 2001 dhcp(5)