Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: taking text from a .txt file Post 37493 by perleo on Thursday 19th of June 2003 03:10:27 PM
Old 06-19-2003
Java Perl: taking text from a .txt file

How would i go about the following,

I open a text document with loads of text, about 150 lines

e.g. "Best Time: 02:55.88"

How would i get perl just to take the time and put into a variable but also be able to take any time like that from the file??

i've done this so far to open the document

opendir (FILE, "> c:\\My Documents\\times.txt" or die "Cant open: $!";

readdir FILE @readfile;
closedir FILE;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl how to move pointer to previous line in a txt file?

I have a text file that has blocks of text. Each block starts with ### and ends with End_###. I wrote a perl script to search a string from line 2 (ignore any line starts with ###) of each block if matched, need to print that whole block. According to the input file in below, it will print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tqlam
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need in modifying the text of .txt file

Hi All, I've written a shell script in which i defined two varibles for example: str=1.0.0.15 timeStamp=2008.03.08 now using this varibles i need to modify a text file. The text content looks like this ************************ * packageNumber : 1.0.0.14 * * date :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinna
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for removing text from a txt file

Hello, So I wanted to write a very simple script to remove some information from a text file and save it as something else. For example I have a text file (let's call it txt) with three rows of numbers: 0 0 1 9 8 7 5 0 6 7 9 0 0 7 9 8 1 1 6 4 0 6 0 0 9 8 4 6 0 9 2 8 1 And I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in extracting text present between two headers in .txt file

Hi All, Please help me out in fllowing problem. I have text file which contains the data in following format. Contents of file.txt are setregid02 Test that setregid() fails and sets the proper errno values when a non-root user attemps to change the real or effective... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varshit
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking output in csv file from perl

Hi, I am new to perl I need to connect from linux server to oracle database and i need to query the database and take result into csv file. i try to do but i am getting this error: #!/usr/bin/perl use DBI; BEGIN { $ENV{ORACLE_HOME} = '/home/oracle/product/8.1.7'; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL:How to convert numeric values txt file to PACKED DECIMAL File?

Is there any way to convert numeric values txt file to PACKED DECIMAL File using PERL. Regards, Alok (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aloktiwary
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL or SHELL Scrript to search in Directories by taking line by line from a text file

Unix box server version *********** >uname -r B.11.00 >echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh --> in this server, I have the path like /IMbuild/dev/im0serv1 ---> in that directory I have the folders startup(.jsp files nearly 100 jsp's ) and scripts(contains .js files nearly 100 files) ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasam
9 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script extract text from txt file with grep

All, I require a script that grabs some text from the gitHub API and will grep (or other function) for a string a characters that starts with (") quotes followed by two letters, may contain a pipe |, and ending with ) . What i have so far is below but it's not returning anything. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse through a txt file PERL scripting

Below is a perl code I am trying. #!/usr/bin/perl #use strict; use warnings qw/ all FATAL /; use constant ENV_FILE => '/apps/env_data.txt'; $uenv = $ARGV; my $input = $uenv; open my $fh, '<', ENV_FILE or die sprintf qq{Unable to open "%s" for input: $!}, ENV_FILE; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
2 Replies
DIRECTORY(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					      DIRECTORY(3)

NAME
closedir, dirfd, opendir, readdir, readdir_r, rewinddir, seekdir, telldir -- directory operations LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <dirent.h> int closedir(DIR *dirp); int dirfd(DIR *dirp); DIR * opendir(const char *dirname); struct dirent * readdir(DIR *dirp); int readdir_r(DIR *restrict dirp, struct dirent *restrict entry, struct dirent **restrict result); void rewinddir(DIR *dirp); void seekdir(DIR *dirp, long loc); long telldir(DIR *dirp); DESCRIPTION
The opendir() function opens the directory named by dirname, associates a directory stream with it, and returns a pointer to be used to iden- tify the directory stream in subsequent operations. The pointer NULL is returned if dirname cannot be accessed or if it cannot malloc(3) enough memory to hold the whole thing. The readdir() function returns a pointer to the next directory entry. It returns NULL upon reaching the end of the directory or detecting an invalid seekdir() operation. readdir_r() provides the same functionality as readdir(), but the caller must provide a directory entry buffer to store the results in. If the read succeeds, result is pointed at the entry; upon reaching the end of the directory, result is set to NULL. readdir_r() returns 0 on success or an error number to indicate failure. The telldir() function returns the current location associated with the named directory stream. Values returned by telldir() are good only for the lifetime of the DIR pointer (e.g., dirp) from which they are derived. If the directory is closed and then reopened, prior values returned by telldir() will no longer be valid. The seekdir() function sets the position of the next readdir() operation on the directory stream. The new position reverts to the one asso- ciated with the directory stream when the telldir() operation was performed. The rewinddir() function resets the position of the named directory stream to the beginning of the directory. The closedir() function closes the named directory stream and frees the structure associated with the dirp pointer, returning 0 on success. On failure, -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. The dirfd() function returns the integer file descriptor associated with the named directory stream, see open(2). Sample code which searches a directory for entry ``name'' is: len = strlen(name); dirp = opendir("."); while ((dp = readdir(dirp)) != NULL) if (dp->d_namlen == len && !strcmp(dp->d_name, name)) { (void)closedir(dirp); return FOUND; } (void)closedir(dirp); return NOT_FOUND; LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> <sys/types.h> is necessary for these functions. SEE ALSO
close(2), lseek(2), open(2), read(2), compat(5), dir(5) HISTORY
The closedir(), dirfd(), opendir(), readdir(), rewinddir(), seekdir(), and telldir() functions appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD