Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting re: removing trailing space from lines Post 37463 by sameerbo on Thursday 19th of June 2003 10:12:23 AM
Old 06-19-2003
Thank You! oombera, for answering the query.
I really appreciate your effort to answer, even the closed thread.

I was going through the various threads after posting my query.
there was one thread 'Remove Last Character of Line'. this was pretty similar query. I got the answer for my query from this thread.

And that is why i closed the thread.

I just tried this syntax but it doesn't work. I am working on solaris 5.8. And I am not sure whether this syntax works on other platform. may be this is the case, that, it work on some other platform.

I used this syntax.
---------------------------------------------
sed 's/ *$//g' < file_tailing_spaces
---------------------------------------------
Notice that it has two spaces preceeding '*$'
Actually, I have file which has more than one trailing spaces. It worked.

Thank You! Once Again.
Sameer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: removing any and all trailing digits?

We have a large number of oracle database related scripts that utilize the environment variables $ORACLE_SID and $DBNAME. In a single instance database the $ORACLE_SID is the same as the database name $DBNAME. So we have simply set DBNAME = $ORACLE_SID. However, now that we are clustering with RAC,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Squeakygoose
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings

Hi, Please provide shell script to Remove empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings in a file. Input File : A1/EXT "BAP_BSC6/07B/00" 844 090602 1605 RXOCF-465 PDTR11 1 SITE ON BATTERY A2/EXT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing trailing zeroes

So, I can't figure out how to do a previous question with printf, so I'm taking a different approach. Suppose I have a set of numbers: 1200,135.000000,12.30100,3212.3200,1.759403,,1230,101.101010,100.000000 I want to remove all trailing zeroes after the decimal, and, if it ends up orphaned,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing trailing zeros using sed

Hello All, I have a csv file with 3 columns. The file which looks like this 47850000,100,233 23560000,10000,456 78650000,560000,54 34000000,3456,3 The first column has 4 trailing zeros. I have to remove 4 trailing zeroes from 1st field. The output file should appear as follows. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the trailing date from a filename

Hi I have 3 files (say) in a folder as in the example below abc_01012011.csv def_01012011.csv xyz_01012011.csv I need to move these files to a different folder as follows abc.csv def.csv xyz.csv I am trying to put together a script with a for loop which reads the source filenames... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobsn
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing lines at the end of a text file

How do you remove trailing empty lines at the end of a text file? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing just the trailing commas :-(

Hi all, I haven't needed to do any shell based editing for nearly 20 years, and no amount of searching around has found me a solution to this very simple problem :-( I have a csv file. Some lines have three commas at the end. This means the invoice hasn't been paid. I'd like to use sed / grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chardyzulu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing characters

I have been given a shell script that I need to amend. To do the following extract the filename from the flag file by removing the .flag extension. # Local variables # Find if the flag files exists MASK=coda_mil2*.flag # Are there any files? bookmark="40" fileFound=0 ls -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andymay
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing x'0A' characters.

I am trying to remove trailing carriage return (x'0a') from a source program. What is a good way to do this for the whole file? TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Trailing Line

I have been trying to remove empty lines and lines just filled with spaces. I have used the following command which does work. sed -i "/^\s*$/d" Except it leaves one single trailing line at the very end of the file. For the life of me I cant figure out why I cant remove that last trailing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user8282892
2 Replies
UPSCLI_GET(3)							    NUT Manual							     UPSCLI_GET(3)

NAME
upscli_get - retrieve data from a UPS SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_get(UPSCONN_t *ups, int numq, const char **query, int *numa, char ***answer) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_get() function takes the pointer ups to a UPSCONN_t state structure, and the pointer query to an array of numq query elements. It builds a properly-formatted request from those elements and transmits it to upsd(8). Upon success, the response will be split into separate components. A pointer to those components will be returned in answer. The number of usable answer components will be returned in numa. USES
This function implements the "GET" command in the protocol. As a result, you can use it to request many different things from the server. Some examples are: o GET NUMLOGINS <ups> o GET UPSDESC <ups> o GET VAR <ups> <var> o GET TYPE <ups> <var> o GET DESC <ups> <var> o GET CMDDESC <ups> <cmd> QUERY FORMATTING
To generate a request for GET NUMLOGINS su700, you would populate query and numq as follows: int numq; const char *query[2]; query[0] = "NUMLOGINS"; query[1] = "su700"; numq = 2; All escaping of special characters and quoting of elements with spaces is handled for you inside this function. ANSWER FORMATTING
The raw response from upsd to the above query would be NUMLOGINS su700 1. Since this is split up for you, the values work out like this: numa = 3; answer[0] = "NUMLOGINS" answer[1] = "su700" answer[2] = "1" Notice that the value which you seek typically starts at answer[numq]. ERROR CHECKING
This function will check your query against the response from upsd(8). For example, if you send "VAR" "su700" "ups.status", it will expect to see those at the beginning of the response. If the results from upsd do not pass this case-insensitive test against your request, this function will return an error. When this happens, upscli_upserror(3) will return UPSCLI_ERR_PROTOCOL. ANSWER ARRAY LIFETIME
The pointers contained within the answer array are only valid until the next call to a upsclient function which references them. If you need to use data from multiple calls, you must copy it somewhere else first. The answer array and its elements may change locations, so you must not rely on previous addresses. You must only use the addresses which were returned by the most recent call. You also must not attempt to use more than numa elements in answer. Such behavior is undefined, and may yield bogus data or a crash. The array will be deleted after calling upscli_disconnect(3). Any access after that point is also undefined. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_get() function returns 0 on success, or -1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
upscli_list_start(3), upscli_list_next(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/22/2012 UPSCLI_GET(3)