Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bru command
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory bru command Post 37337 by oombera on Tuesday 17th of June 2003 09:26:33 AM
Old 06-17-2003
Did you check out the tutorials at tolisgroup.com?

You should be able to view them if you use IE 5 or 6.. they converted powerpoint presentations into html presentations, which looks funky in any other web browser.

From the tutorial:
Quote:
Restore The Entire Archive
To restore the entire archive to its original location:
bru -xvf /tmp/brutest.bru
This will restore the entire contents of the /tmp/brutest.bru to the original location - in this case /home/psmith.

Restore A Single File
To restore a file from an archive
bru -xvf /tmp/brutest.bru /home/psmith/customer1.doc
This will restore the file /home/psmith/customer1.doc from the archive file /tmp/brutest.bru

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

BRU utility

I'm having trouble trying to extract files from a bru tape. The man pages on the bru command have confused me. The following are commands that I've tried and the respective outputs. will.rlee 224> bru -vgf /dev/nrtape label: created: Mon Nov 7 18:21:41 1994 device: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sherbet808
7 Replies

2. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem with BRU

Hello, I need to restore a file that was backed up using BRU. For starters I need to know how to list the archive on my tape. I tried the following which is what the man page for BRU sugegsts: bru -xvf /dev/nst1 /violatio.sh I get the following error bru: warning - read error on first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 Can anybody help us with a command to retrieve netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 on aix machine. net/subnet address is in the format 172.16.212.0(signifies all 255 machines in an IPv4 network) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie8278
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BRU -T option

Can someone give me an example how to use bru command line with the -T option? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command : how to insert text at the cursor location via command line?

Hi, Well my title isn't very clear I think. So to understand my goal: I have a script "test1" #!/bin/bash xvkbd -text blabla with xbindkeys, I bind F5 key in order it runs my test1 script So when I press F5, test1 runs. I'm under Emacs/Vi and I press F5 in order to have "blabla" be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing command output from one command to the next command in cshell

HI Guys, I hope you are well. I am trying to write a script that gets executed every time i open a shell (cshell). I have two questions about that 1) I need to enter these commands $ echo $DISPLAY $ setenv $DISPLAY output_of_echo_$display_command How can i write a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies
bup-meta(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bup-meta(1)

NAME
bup-meta - create or extract a metadata archive SYNOPSIS
bup meta --create [-R] [-v] [-q] [--no-symlinks] [--no-paths] [-f file] <paths...> bup meta --list [-v] [-q] [-f file] bup meta --extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [--no-symlinks] [-f file] bup meta --start-extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [--no-symlinks] [-f file] bup meta --finish-extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [-f file] DESCRIPTION
bup meta either creates or extracts a metadata archive. A metadata archive contains the metadata information (timestamps, ownership, access permissions, etc.) for a set of filesystem paths. OPTIONS
-c, --create Create a metadata archive for the specified paths. Write the archive to standard output unless --file is specified. -t, --list Display information about the metadata in an archive. Read the archive from standard output unless --file is specified. -x, --extract Extract a metadata archive. Conceptually, perform --start-extract followed by --finish-extract. Read the archive from standard input unless --file is specified. --start-extract Build a filesystem tree matching the paths stored in a metadata archive. By itself, this command does not produce a full restora- tion of the metadata. For a full restoration, this command must be followed by a call to --finish-extract. Once this command has finished, all of the normal files described by the metadata will exist and be empty. Restoring the data in those files, and then calling --finish-extract should restore the original tree. The archive will be read from standard input unless --file is specified. --finish-extract Finish applying the metadata stored in an archive to the filesystem. Normally, this command should follow a call to --start- extract. The archive will be read from standard input unless --file is specified. -f, --file=filename Read the metadata archive from filename or write it to filename as appropriate. If filename is "-", then read from standard input or write to standard output. -R, --recurse Recursively descend into subdirectories during --create. --numeric-ids Apply numeric user and group IDs (rather than text IDs) during --extract or --finish-extract. --symlinks Record symbolic link targets when creating an archive, or restore symbolic links when extracting an archive (during --extract or --start-extract). This option is enabled by default. Specify --no-symlinks to disable it. --paths Record pathnames when creating an archive. This option is enabled by default. Specify --no-paths to disable it. -v, --verbose Be more verbose (can be used more than once). -q, --quiet Be quiet. EXAMPLES
# Create a metadata archive for /etc. $ bup meta -cRf etc.meta /etc bup: removing leading "/" from "/etc" # Extract the etc.meta archive (files will be empty). $ mkdir tmp && cd tmp $ bup meta -xf ../etc.meta $ ls etc # Restore /etc completely. $ mkdir tmp && cd tmp $ bup meta --start-extract -f ../etc.meta ...fill in all regular file contents using some other tool... $ bup meta --finish-extract -f ../etc.meta BUGS
Hard links are not handled yet. BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>. Bup unknown- bup-meta(1)