Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Dispatching
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Dispatching Post 3675 by pattersonwl on Monday 9th of July 2001 01:49:08 PM
Old 07-09-2001
Question UNIX Dispatching

I'm taking a course Intro to operating systems, and I am hung up on what UNIX dispatching is. Can anyone help me answer this question?

Thanks!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Efficient Dispatching

Does anyone know what's new with Efficient dispatching in the Solaris 2.8 release (vs Solaris 2.6) release? Specifically, does anyone know of a good website to get detailed information on thread dispatching using efficient dispatching in solaris 2.8? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uchachra
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script for sending a file from one unix directory to another unix server director

Hi, My local server is :/usr/abcd/ Remote server is :/Usr/host/test/ I want to send files from local unix directory(All files starting with O_999) to remote host unix directory. Can any body give me the Unix Shell script to do this. One more doubt: Shall we need to change the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raja_1234
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies
shutdown(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      shutdown(1M)

NAME
shutdown - shut down system, change system state SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/shutdown [-y] [-g grace-period] [-i init-state] [message] DESCRIPTION
shutdown is executed by the super user to change the state of the machine. In most cases, it is used to change from the multi-user state (state 2) to another state. By default, shutdown brings the system to a state where only the console has access to the operating system. This state is called single- user. Before starting to shut down daemons and killing processes, shutdown sends a warning message and, by default, a final message asking for confirmation. message is a string that is sent out following the standard warning message "The system will be shut down in ..." If the string contains more than one word, it should be contained within single (') or double (") quotation marks. The warning message and the user provided message are output when there are 7200, 3600, 1800, 1200, 600, 300, 120, 60, and 30 seconds remaining before shutdown begins. See EXAMPLES. System state definitions are: state 0 Stop the operating system. state 1 State 1 is referred to as the administrative state. In state 1 file systems required for multi-user operations are mounted, and logins requiring access to multi-user file systems can be used. When the system comes up from firmware mode into state 1, only the console is active and other multi-user (state 2) services are unavailable. Note that not all user processes are stopped when transitioning from multi-user state to state 1. state s, S State s (or S) is referred to as the single-user state. All user processes are stopped on transitions to this state. In the single-user state, file systems required for multi-user logins are unmounted and the system can only be accessed through the console. Logins requiring access to multi-user file systems cannot be used. state 5 Shut the machine down so that it is safe to remove the power. Have the machine remove power, if possible. The rc0 procedure is called to perform this task. state 6 Stop the operating system and reboot to the state defined by the initdefault entry in /etc/inittab. The rc6 procedure is called to perform this task. OPTIONS
-y Pre-answer the confirmation question so the command can be run without user intervention. -g grace-period Allow the super user to change the number of seconds from the 60-second default. -i init-state If there are warnings, init-state specifies the state init is to be in. By default, system state `s' is used. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using shutdown In the following example, shutdown is being executed on host foo and is scheduled in 120 seconds. The warning message is output 2 minutes, 1 minute, and 30 seconds before the final confirmation message. example# shutdown -i S -g 120 "===== disk replacement =====" Shutdown started. Tue Jun 7 14:51:40 PDT 1994 Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:51:41... The system will be shut down in 2 minutes ===== disk replacement ===== Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:52:41... The system will be shut down in 1 minutes ===== disk replacement ===== Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:53:41... The system will be shut down in 30 seconds ===== disk replacement ===== Do you want to continue? (y or n): FILES
/etc/inittab controls process dispatching by init ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boot(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), killall(1M), reboot(1M), ufsdump(1M), init.d(4), inittab(4), nologin(4), attributes(5) NOTES
When a system transitions down to the S or s state, the /etc/nologin file (see nologin(4)) is created. Upon subsequent transition to state 2 (multi-user state), this file is removed by a script in the /etc/rc2.d directory. SunOS 5.11 9 May 2001 shutdown(1M)