Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Any one can tell me how this happen? Post 36439 by cbkihong on Thursday 29th of May 2003 02:20:22 AM
Old 05-29-2003
Although the process image is copied through fork(), the parent and child processes are already two distinct processes and no longer share the same process space, so the case is now like two text editor instances running concurrently. Unless you carry out some special synchronizations (say, through mechanisms of locking shared resources like semaphore or monitors) between these processes race condition should continue to exist.

Some processes appear to have ppid == 1 because the parent process has ended and is then collected by init, which has pid 1.

You can get more info on processes from any university textbooks on operating system design, such as "Operating System Concepts" that I have on my desk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what happen when changing Hostname?

I 'm using RH 7.2 Genome in the Network Configuration I change therer are two places one for static hostname for my machine and in DNS hostname I don't know what happen when restarting my PC when connecting using dialer I can't browse the Internet also I can't use sendmail .......Server timeout... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would happen if. . .

Hi, Could someone please tell me what would happen if the following were entered into the command line: rm -i /books/*.* rm /books/* Many thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crispy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Do I Set a Task to Happen in the Future?

Is it possible to set a task to happen in the future? Say I want to log-off only after 10 hours of being logged on with out doing any activity in between? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slick
2 Replies

4. Programming

What happen in registers Internaly using as in csl() function

Dear i do not understand that function used for clear screen (given below) cls { union REGS i,o; i.h.ah=6; i.h.al=0; i.h.ch=0; i.h.cl=0; i.h.dh=24; i.h.dl=79; i.h.bh=7; int86(16,&i,&o); } In Above function Registers are used(i think) but why and internally what the do for clearing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brain_full
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix ID deleted - What happen to process

I have an unix id (AIX system) which is used to run a couple of processes. They also write some log files into a file system (that is not in the home directory of the user id, but in different location). One bad day, the id was deleted accidentally. But the home directory, files and everything... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmgreat
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract files one by one from a directory and let some processing happen

how to extract files one by one from a directory and let some processing be done on the file I have a directory by name INTRN which has files like INTR.0003080248636814 INTR.0003080248636816 INTR.0003080248636818 . . . . and so on and in a script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats happen when we create new user

hi frndz I wanna knw exatly what happen when we create new user... which directories are created ?? which files are modified ?? thanx.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckypower
2 Replies

8. Programming

what would happen if a process wrote to its own stdin?

what would happen if a process wrote to its own stdin? #include<unistd.h> #include<fcntl.h> int main() { if((write(STDIN_FILENO,"arrgh!",6))==-1) { perror("error writing to file"); } } output: $ gcc temp.c $ ./a.out arrgh!$ (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
9 Replies

9. AIX

How does ITIL processing happen in AIX?

How does ITIL process is implemened in AIX? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When downloading a webpage by curl, what happen?

Hello, when im downloading an webpage from command line (CLI) by curl or wget the target website is loaded like i load it from browser? meaning target server connect to database and render data from mysql? Or only static content is downloaded? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies
AMANDA-SCRIPTS(7)						    Miscellanea 						 AMANDA-SCRIPTS(7)

NAME
amanda-scripts - Configuring and using the Script API DESCRIPTION
The Script API is a flexible system for invoking user-supplied scripts at various points in the execution of Amanda. This manual page describes the operation and configuration of the API. For help writing Script API scripts, see http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Script_API. SCRIPTS
This section lists the scripts included with Amanda, see the individual man page for instructions on using them. For complete How-To information, consult the Amanda wiki at http://wiki.zmanda.com. o amzfs-snapshot(8), - create/destroy zfs snapshot. o script-email(8), - send email. Script properties work just like application properties: they are insensitive to case, and - (dash) and _ (underscore) may be used interchangeably. SCRIPTS OUTPUT PROPERTY
A pre-dle-amcheck, pre-dle-estimate or pre-dle-backup executed on the client can output property on stdout that are sent to the application. If the output line matches "PROPERTY str1 str2", Amanda sets a property called "str1" by the value of "str2", that property is sent to the application. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 AMANDA-SCRIPTS(7)