Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find Software Version
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find Software Version Post 35795 by vjsony on Tuesday 6th of May 2003 06:49:07 AM
Old 05-06-2003
Find Software Version

Hi,

Is there anyway to find what version of a software is installed on a particular box ?

For Tru64 unix, the setld -i command lists all the software that is installed. But how do i get the version ? is there a unix command for this?

Is setld specific to Tru64 ?

Do reply

VJ

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Where i can find gmake software for AIX 5.2

Where i can find gmake software for AIX 5.2 Thanks Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamurugan
1 Replies

2. AIX

how to find old software on IBM

Hi All, im trying to find some older versions of software due to a problem that i'm having after upgrading. namely. devices.sdd.43.rte ibm2105.rte version 32.6.100.18 devices.fcp.disk.ibm2105.rte version 32.6.100.18 devices.scsi.disk.ibm2105.rte version 32.6.100.18 Anyone any ideas... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: djdavies
0 Replies

3. Programming

How To find if Specific Software is installed ?

Hi all, I have developed an application in linux that uses MySQL and unixODBC. Now I am making a small installer for this application that configures environment for this application. What I need is the way to check if MySQL and unixODBC is installed on the system before I start installing my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noble_curious
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to look for new version of software

Bit of a long shot but is there a way i can have a script check a website for new version of software and dwnload it . and maybe email me when it downlaods not sure if that is even possible, to make it even worse i have to give a username and password to be able to download it thanks ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
5 Replies

5. AIX

Third party software location and their version in Aix

Hi All, I am new to Aix server. I want to search the location of third party software installed on aix. I checked at location /usr/local as well as /opt. Is it the correct location for third party software installed location? If yes, then how to check their version? If not, kindly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjusharma128
5 Replies
setld(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  setld(8)

NAME
setld - Software subset management utility SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] -l location [subset...] /usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] [-f] -d subset... /usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] -i [subset...] /usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] -v subset... /usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] -c subset message /usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] -x location [subset...] /usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] -h /usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] [-m member_ID] -C subset [subset...] /usr/sbin/setld [-D root-path] [-m member_ID] -Z subset [subset...] OPTIONS
Loads software from distribution media mounted on location. If you specify subset arguments, only those subsets are loaded. If you do not specify subset arguments, a menu is displayed that lists the optional subsets available on the distribution; mandatory subsets are listed but cannot be selected. Selected subsets are loaded onto the system. Deletes each subset from the system. Subsets can be marked during manufacture so that they cannot be deleted. If you try to delete such subsets, an appropriate diagnos- tic message is generated. If a subset being deleted is required by other subsets installed on the system, those subsets are listed and you must confirm that the target subset is to be deleted. You cannot use the -d option to delete subsets extracted with the -x option. Displays the inventory status of the system or any specified subset. If you do not specify a subset, the system state is listed on standard output in three columns: Subset, Status, and Description. Subset status may be one of the following: The subset is currently installed. The subset failed to install cor- rectly. Information in the subset control file is incomplete. The subset is not currently installed. If you specify subset arguments, the names of the files in each named subset are listed. Named subsets are listed with their con- tents whether they are installed or not. You cannot use the -i option to list subsets extracted with the -x option. Verifies the existence of the installed subset. The -v option also executes any V phase processing included in the subset control program, except during installation. Use the fverify command to verify the files of a specific subset. The fverify command reports missing files and inconsistencies in file size, checksum, user ID, group ID, permissions, and file type. You cannot use the -v option to check the existence of subsets extracted with the -x option. Configures one subset, passing the message to the subset control program. Extracts subsets from the distribution media mounted on location. Subsets extracted with this option are not loaded onto your system but are copied in their exact format, compressed or not, from the distribution media. If you specify the optional -D root-path operand, the subsets are copied to root-path. Otherwise, the subsets are copied to the current directory. Because these subsets are not installed, you cannot use the -d, -i, or -v options to delete, inventory, or check the existence of extracted subsets in the directory to which they are copied. The -x option is used primarily by the Remote Installation Services utility to set up RIS areas. If you specify subset arguments, only the specified subsets are extracted. If you do not specify subset arguments, a menu is displayed that lists the subsets on the distribution media. Subsets chosen from this menu are then extracted. Forces the continuation of a delete operation despite receiv- ing errors from a subset control program (SCP). Displays usage statements. Runs the C_INSTALL (configure install) phase of the named software subset's software subset control program (SCP) on the specified cluster member. This option must be used in conjunc- tion with the -m operand, and is used for disaster recovery purposes only. Runs the C_DELETE (configure delete) phase of the named software subset's SCP on the specified cluster member. This option must be used in conjunction with the -m operand, and is used for disaster recovery purposes only. OPERANDS
Specifies root-path as the root directory for an operation. If you specify the -D root-path operand, the setld command operates on the software rooted at the specified directory (root-path). If you do not specify the -D root-path operand, the default is root ( / ) for all operations except -x, when the default is the current directory ( . ). This optional operand is useful for installing software to offline systems on removable media or dual-ported disk drives. Sets the cluster member ID for disaster recovery when a load or delete operation fails on one or more members in a cluster. This option is only valid with the -C and -Z options. If a member_ID is not specified, the operation defaults to the current system. This operand is not valid on nonclustered systems. This operand is to be used for disaster recovery purposes only. It is not the intended nor the supported method to remove or install software on a cluster. DESCRIPTION
The setld command is an interactive program for installing and managing software subsets. Software products are organized into subsets that may be loaded, configured, inventoried, and deleted. The load operation reads software from disk, tape, CD-ROM, or a remote installation server. The setld command is used to load and remove software subsets from single systems or clustered systems; there is no difference in command syntax. The setld command can be invoked from any member of a cluster to install or remove software across the entire cluster. The setld command also is used to extract the contents of installation media onto a disk so that the disk can be used as the distribution media. Extracted subsets are not loaded onto the system and you cannot use the -d, -i, or -v options to delete, inventory, or check the existence of extracted subsets in the directory to which they are copied. The location argument specifies the location of the distribution. This location can be the name of a directory, a device special file name, or the name of a remote installation server. The specified location determines the type of media to be used. Valid location specifiers can be similar to the following examples: Magnetic tape on tape unit 0 Disk distribution in the /mnt/ALPHA/BASE directory Remote distribution from server hostname The subset argument specifies the name of a subset on which an operation is to be performed. Subset names are strings of seven or more characters used to uniquely identify subsets, for example: OSFXMAIL100. RESTRICTIONS
Do not try to install software into an NFS mounted file system. You cannot use the -d option to delete subsets extracted with the -x option. You cannot use the -i option to list subsets extracted with the -x option. You cannot use the -v option to check the existence of subsets extracted with the -x option. EXIT STATUS
The requested operation was successful. The requested operation failed on a mandatory subset. The requested operation failed on an optional subset. ERRORS
-x can be used by super-user only You do not have root privileges and you tried to use the setld command with the -x option, one of the root-only options. The -i option is the only setld function available to non-privileged users. error in Args() The setld command cannot understand the command line arguments. This message is always preceded by a usage message or another diagnostic. Temp directory /usr/tmp/stltmpXXXXXX already in use The temporary directory that setld creates for itself already exists. Run setld again. Cannot create directory dir The setld command could not create the required directory dir. This error can happen if parts of the system are NFS mounted but not root- mapped. error in Dirs() This message always accompanies the preceding two messages but can also accompany messages generated by commands that are called by the setld command. subset: not currently installed, cannot configure. The subset argument to the -c option refers to a subset not installed on the system. subset: missing control program, cannot configure. The setld command tried to configure subset, but the program needed to performing the configuration is missing. Delete the subset and install it again before trying the operation again. subset: not currently installed, cannot delete The subset argument to the -d option refers to a subset not installed on the system. ReadCtrlFile(): cannot find filename.ctrl The setld command cannot read the control file filename.ctrl. ReadCtrlFile(): filename.ctrl is incomplete The control file filename.ctrl either is empty or it names attributes with no values specified. setld: Sorry, You may not delete the description (subset) subset The subset was marked during manufacture as a subset that cannot be deleted; it cannot be removed from the system by the setld command. subset: deletion declined by subset control program The subset control program subset has determined that the subset should not be deleted. Depending on the individual subset control program, this message also can be seen with a diagnostic issued directly from the subset control program. Consult the product's documentation. Installation declined by subset control program description (subset) will not be loaded. The subset control program for subset has determined that the subset should not be loaded. Depending on the individual subset control pro- gram, this message also can be seen with a diagnostic issued directly from the subset control program. Consult the product's documentation. Tape Positioning Error The setld command detected an error while positioning the tape for a read operation with the -l or -x option. This can indicate a faulty tape or a transient tape subsystem error. Check the error log and try the operation again. Error Extracting subset An unrecoverable error has occurred while trying to extract subset from the distribution. Control Info Error on subset The setld failed to access a control or inventory file or subset control program while extracting subsets. This can indicate a faulty dis- tribution. Try the operation again. subset: extract checksum error The extracted copy of subset has a checksum error. This can indicate a transient tape subsystem error. Check the error log and retry the operation. Error contacting server hostname: message The setld command could not contact installation server hostname. The error message provides more information. Device location not supported for installations. The setld command did not recognize the location specified on the command line as a valid input location for a load (-l) or extract (-x) operation. Cannot access /dev/ntape/tapeNh The device special file /dev/ntapeNh either does not exist or is not a character special file. Remake the file with the dsfmgr command and try the operation again. subset: Unknown subset A subset argument to the -i option does not correspond to any subset known to the system. Check the command line for spelling errors. location/instctrl: no such file or directory The disk distribution location specified on the command line does not point to a valid directory. Check the command line for spelling errors. EXAMPLES
To load software subsets from tape unit 2: setld -l /dev/tape/tape2h To load the OSFXMAIL100 subset from tape unit 2: setld -l /dev/tape/tape2h OSFXMAIL100 To load the OSFXMAIL100 subset from tape unit 2 to an offline system rooted at /mnt: setld -D /mnt -l /dev/tape/tape2h OSFXMAIL100 To load the OSFXMAIL100 subset from installation server houston to an offline system rooted at /mnt: setld -D /mnt -l houston: OSFXMAIL100 To load the OSFXMAIL100 subset from a disk distribution in /mnt2/ALPHA/BASE to an offline system rooted at /mnt: setld -D /mnt -l /mnt2/ALPHA/BASE OSFXMAIL100 To recover from the failure of a subset delete operation of the OSFXMAIL100 subset on member1 of a three member cluster and delete the sub- set on that member: setld -m member1 -Z OSFXMAIL100 To recover from the failure of a subset load operation of the OSFXMAIL100 subset on member1 of a three member cluster and load the subset on that member: setld -m member1 -C OSFXMAIL100 To delete the OSFXMAIL100 and OSFSYSV100 subsets from a single system: setld -d OSFXMAIL100 OSFSYSV100 To delete OSFXMAIL100 and OSFSYSV100 subsets from the offline system rooted at /mnt: setld -D /mnt -d OSFXMAIL100 OSFSYSV100 To display the status of all subsets known to the system: setld -i To display the status of all subsets known to the offline system rooted at /mnt: setld -D /mnt -i To display the contents of the OSFXMAIL100 subset: setld -i OSFXMAIL100 To check for the existence of the OSFCLINET100 subset on the running system: setld -v OSFCLINET100 To send the configuration message REPORT to the OSFXMIT100 subset: setld -c OSFXMIT100 REPORT To extract subsets from the distribution on tape unit 0 into the current directory: setld -x /dev/ntape/tape0h To extract subsets from the disk distribution in /mnt/ALPHA/stuff into /usr/bigdisk: setld -D /usr/bigdisk -x /mnt/ALPHA/stuff FILES
Logfile for setld transactions Subset inventory files Subset control files Subset control programs Subset installed lock files Subset sta- tus file used by the cluster rolling upgrade process SEE ALSO
kits(1), fitset(8), fverify(8), dsfmgr(8) depord(4), stl_comp(4), stl_ctrl(4), stl_image(4), stl_inv(4), stl_scp(4) Guide to Preparing Product Kits, Installation Guide setld(8)