Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: restoring backups
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers restoring backups Post 35509 by Perderabo on Tuesday 15th of April 2003 05:02:49 PM
Old 04-15-2003
In general you cannot run one manufacturer's os on another manufacturer's hardware. There are a very few exceptions where the OS was ported to different hardware. Or where some hardware is carefully designed to emulate (exactly) some other hardware. But these are rare.

There is a Solaris port available for intel boxes. But you can't install Solaris for a sparc on an intel box.

HP-UX can run on an Itanium. And some brand x was marketing a laptop that emulated pa-risc so it could run HP-UX.

There are probably a few other exceptions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring old /etc permissions

A co-worker inadvertently changed all the permissions in /etc by doing 'chmod *' .... Anyway, we have a backup tape to restore from, but I'm not sure how to use the 'restore' command and options to just restore the permissions. Would appreciate any recommendation/suggestion. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Backups

I have been using the hostdump.sh backup script for over a year now and have recently run into a problem. I'm now getting the following error at the end of my jobs; /bin/mt -f: error fsf'ing tape. This script uses the native 'ufsdump'. So, I try to go back and read the last dump on the tape... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backups

When using hostdump.sh to backup a system I can do it fine. But how can I restore what I backuped up? :) Thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backups.

Hello everyone my ? is about backups. I'am running SCO OS 505 and currently backing up the hole HD. Well the back up is taking too long and this is becoming a problem for the users since we are a 24-7 bussines, I whant stop backing up every thing on the HD. What are the most important files and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kikkin
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Backups too CD

I've been handed the task of backing up some of our system files on a Solaris box. No probs. Zipped the logs that needed backing up but my superiors do not want it on tape, they want it spanned on CD's. The CD-Writer is available on a MS box. FTP'd the zipped logs across too the MS Machine but now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mccrack_2003
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring deleted files

I had a user run, by accident, the following line command on our UNIX server: rm -f /usr/* This apparently deleted some needed files on your system. Having very limited knowledge in UNIX, I thought I would ask the group if anyone knows how I can recover these file? The version of UNIX is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring a file

I'm new to Unix and have just wrote a little program to move files to a recycle bin (a Directory i created) and restore them. The problem is that i need to keep track of all the full filenames so that i can restore them to the right place. I did this by creating a file called delreg and putting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoolz
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

Problems restoring Ignite make_recovery DAT backups

Can anyone help with an HP Ignite problem please !! We currently have 2 servers running HP-UX B.11.00 connected together and using a high availability cluster (serviceguard) running one package. Each of the servers have 2 mirrored local disks. (also installed HP OpenviewDM B.05.03, Oracle 8.0.5,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: clivethegadget
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Backing up and restoring RHEL 6.3 VM

Hi! I am administering a system I didn't configure. I know it is a RHEL 6.3 VM image and there are others as well. How do I make a backup of the image and of the filesytems, in case I screw up the configuration. How can I restore it as well. My plan is this 1) Find out what kind of VM,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: md888
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Restoring a system from a backup

I have backed up the contents of my Solaris 10 machine in its entirety, and I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow use this archive to restore my old system just as it was on a new machine. Assuming I have all files from my old machine backed up, is this possible? What I've been trying to do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unblockable
6 Replies
ddi_intr_get_supported_types(9F)										  ddi_intr_get_supported_types(9F)

NAME
ddi_intr_get_supported_types - return information on supported hardware interrupt types SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/conf.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int ddi_intr_get_supported_types(dev_info_t *dip, int *typesp); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI) dip Pointer to dev_info structure typesp Pointer to supported interrupt types The ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function retrieves the interrupt types supported by a particular hardware device and by the system soft- ware. Upon successful return, the supported types are returned as a bit mask in the integer pointed to by the typesp argument. See <sys/ddi_intr.h> for a list of interrupts that can be returned by a hardware device. For PCI devices that support MSI and/or MSI-X based hardware, this interface returns only the interrupt types that are supported by all the hardware in the path to the hardware device. An interrupt type is usable by the hardware device if it is returned by the ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function. The device driver can be programmed to use one of the returned interrupt types to receive hardware interrupts. The ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function returns: DDI_SUCCESS On success. DDI_EINVAL On encountering invalid input parameters. DDI_INTR_NOTFOUND Returned when the hardware device is found not to support any hardware interrupts. CONTEXT
The ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function can be called from user or kernel non-interrupt context. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pci(4), attributes(5), pcmcia(7D), sysbus(4), ddi_intr_add_handler(9F), ddi_intr_alloc(9F), ddi_intr_enable(9F) The ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function can be called by the device driver even at any time if the driver has added an interrupt han- dler for a given interrupt type. Soft interrupts are always usable and are not returned by this interface. Any consumer of this interface should verify that the return value is not equal to DDI_SUCCESS. Incomplete checking for failure codes could result in inconsistent behavior among platforms. 07 Apr 2005 ddi_intr_get_supported_types(9F)