Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using dummy files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Using dummy files Post 35192 by Optimus_P on Tuesday 1st of April 2003 10:44:19 AM
Old 04-01-2003
are you looking to test the transfer speed of your hard drives?

i would opt to use iostat and vmstat when watching the traffic going from drive to drive.

what you should be looking for are any bottlenecks does it look like your useing a disk to much? if so try reorginizeing your data layout.

are you pushing to much info thru and causing a memory bottleneck? or a cpu bottleneck?

as far as threshholds go. just watch your system and try to get a base line of what it normally does.

redbook sg24-4989-00 (RS6000 Performance Tools in Focus)
can give you some basics.

i think we are on the same wave length. I was just going through this myself.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Real Dummy here!!

After reading so many posts in this section, I'm convinced there are no other dummies here but me. You guys are light years ahead. I have a great understanding of the Windows environment, but lost right now in some things pertaining to Unix. See, I'm a recent convert and put my website up on a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith
2 Replies

2. Where do I download LINUX & UNIX?

i am the mega dummy

where in this great world wide web could i download the unix core operating system (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantera
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i am the mega dummy

where in this great world wide web could i download the unix core operating system (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantera
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummy Needs Help

I am ftp-ing (I think) files from one computer to another and I am using the Put command to do this. Is there a way for me to string these commands together and Put several files at once? Thanks, Amy (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amygdala
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Dummy

i need to learn unix real quick and i have completely no idea how. could anyone please tell me how to get material to get me going??? I am IT oriented. PLEASE ANY ONE???????????????? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quarmenna
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dummy need help :(

This drive me nut, any can show me how to do it ?? str1='Case Modify 10001 20002 30003 40004|Report Create 3417176211|Case Modify 10002 20002 30003 40004' and str2='Case Modify 10001' if str1 ~ str2 then str1='Report Create 3417176211|Case Modify 10002 20002 30003 40004' Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummy Questions

NOT IN USE, IGNORE (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: slayer666
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using grep for a dummy

Hi there; I am really new in unix. I need some help regarding use of grep command. I need to write a shell script which takes a C++ program and counts the number of words which could be a valid C++ variable name. I wrote a regular expression to find c++ variable names: ^* but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkosucu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Dummy!

Hi everyone!! i need some help to do the next exercice, if some one can help-me! Perform a script to swap two lines of a file. The name of file as the two line numbers are passed as a parameter. It should be verify that the file exists, have the necessary permits and lines. i try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freixo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Dummy Question

Where can I get UNIX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ciao303
1 Replies
VMSTAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 VMSTAT(1)

NAME
vmstat - report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat [ -fsi ] [ drives ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
Vmstat delves into the system and normally reports certain statistics kept about process, virtual memory, disk, trap and cpu activity. If given a -f argument, it instead reports on the number of forks and vforks since system startup and the number of pages of virtual memory involved in each kind of fork. If given a -s argument, it instead prints the contents of the sum structure, giving the total number of several kinds of paging related events which have occurred since boot. If given a -i argument, it instead reports on the number of inter- rupts taken by each device since system startup. If none of these options are given, vmstat will report in the first line a summary of the virtual memory activity since the system has been booted. If interval is specified, then successive lines are summaries over the last interval seconds. ``vmstat 5'' will print what the system is doing every five seconds; this is a good choice of printing interval since this is how often some of the statistics are sampled in the system; others vary every second, running the output for a while will make it apparent which are recomputed every second. If a count is given, the statistics are repeated count times. The format fields are: Procs: information about numbers of processes in various states. r in run queue b blocked for resources (i/o, paging, etc.) w runnable or short sleeper (< 20 secs) but swapped Memory: information about the usage of virtual and real memory. Virtual pages are considered active if they belong to processes which are running or have run in the last 20 seconds. A ``page'' here is 1024 bytes. avm active virtual pages fre size of the free list Page: information about page faults and paging activity. These are averaged each five seconds, and given in units per second. re page reclaims (simulating reference bits) at pages attached (found in free list) pi pages paged in po pages paged out fr pages freed per second de anticipated short term memory shortfall sr pages scanned by clock algorithm, per-second up/hp/rk/ra: Disk operations per second (this field is system dependent). Typically paging will be split across several of the available drives. The number under each of these is the unit number. Faults: trap/interrupt rate averages per second over last 5 seconds. in (non clock) device interrupts per second sy system calls per second cs cpu context switch rate (switches/sec) Cpu: breakdown of percentage usage of CPU time us user time for normal and low priority processes sy system time id cpu idle If more than 4 disk drives are configured in the system, vmstat displays only the first 4 drives, with priority given to Massbus disk drives (i.e. if both Unibus and Massbus drives are present and the total number of drives exceeds 4, then some number of Unibus drives will not be displayed in favor of the Massbus drives). To force vmstat to display specific drives, their names may be supplied on the command line. FILES
/dev/kmem, /vmunix SEE ALSO
systat(1), iostat(1) The sections starting with ``Interpreting system activity'' in Installing and Operating 4.2bsd. 4th Berkeley Distribution March 15, 1986 VMSTAT(1)