Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun Hardware Diag Tools
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Sun Hardware Diag Tools Post 35010 by RTM on Tuesday 25th of March 2003 10:26:41 AM
Old 03-25-2003
If you are looking to put a load on the system, this can be accomplished with a simple script.

CPU Intensive:

#!/bin/ksh
while true
do
counter=$counter+1
done

Filesystem intensive:

# find ./ -name "*" > /dev/null

or

# mkfile 10m myfilename

(The last one should be done on a filesystem that can handle it - suggest a bigger file but that is something you can look into)

Someone else can give you something for memory - I've gotten it to climb before but not as much as with cpu and filesystems - and I can't seem to find the script I used for that or remember how I did it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different SUN Hardware in Cluster

Hi friends ! Does anyone know if I can work with one NETRA and one E450 in cluster ? Thanks, Witt:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: witt
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun server hardware questions

I have no experience with sun servers but for fun and experience I would like to buy a low-end server and play with things. I have a few questions that maybe some of you who use these things will be able to answer: - I believe they are also called PCI slots in the sun server, but are they the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Sun Ultra 10 hardware compatibility

How can I check if a Sun Ultra 10 workstation supports 40GB IDE drives? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oti
6 Replies

4. Solaris

sun services tools bundles , help

hi everybody , i installed services tools bundles under solaris OS , but i don't know how to transfer files (that contain reports) to the system where SFT is installed ? and how i can consult a results in SFT server ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
0 Replies

5. Solaris

regarding sun solaris hardware

hi :), i am new to this forum and i am in need of some help. one of my friend i having a Sun Ultra 2 UPA/Sbus (UltraSPARC-II 296Mhz) 640 MB ram. i am not sure if that configuration will be helpful to try out some sysadmin commands. this machine has a 21-inch monster monitor, which i think... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhiroracle
5 Replies

6. Solaris

SUN hardware specifications

Hello Guruz, I am just looking for all the h/w specifications of SUN solairs. It would be gr8 if its in the format of chart. Mainly i am looking for memory capacity and memory slots for all SUN servers in single sheet. Please let me know if some one know any details? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun hardware sizing

Hi, Never worked with Sun, but I have been presented to make a decision about Sun server hardware, since the application which we'll be running is not so popular and you guys might not have idea, for reference I can tell you our competitor is running same application (business volume 10 times... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies

8. Hardware

Sun T3-1 hardware RAID

Hi all I've just received my T3-1. It has 8 disks and I would like to configure RAID1 on the disks. The Sun documentation states that you can either use the OpenBoot PROMP utility called Fcode or you can use software via the Solaris OS. The documentation doesn't make it clear if: 1. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

9. Hardware

Where can I get support on old SUN hardware

Oracle has put all SUN hardware related downloads into Oracle Support which not free for an old SUN workstation user. Now I am looking for a new version BIOS for upgrade but nowhere to download. P.S. it is SUN java workstation w1100z I'd APPRECIATE any information if someone could give me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leland
1 Replies
xfs_admin(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      xfs_admin(8)

NAME
xfs_admin - change parameters of an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_admin [ -eflpu ] [ -c 0|1 ] [ -L label ] [ -U uuid ] device DESCRIPTION
xfs_admin uses the xfs_db(8) command to modify various parameters of a filesystem. Devices that are mounted cannot be modified. Administrators must unmount filesystems before xfs_admin or xfs_db(8) can convert parameters. A number of parameters of a mounted filesystem can be examined and modified using the xfs_growfs(8) command. OPTIONS
-e Enables unwritten extent support on a filesystem that does not already have this enabled (for legacy filesystems, it can't be dis- abled anymore at mkfs time). -f Specifies that the filesystem image to be processed is stored in a regular file at device (see the mkfs.xfs -d file option). -j Enables version 2 log format (journal format supporting larger log buffers). -l Print the current filesystem label. -p Enable 32bit project identifier support (PROJID32BIT feature). -u Print the current filesystem UUID (Universally Unique IDentifier). -c 0|1 Enable (1) or disable (0) lazy-counters in the filesystem. This operation may take quite a bit of time on large filesystems as the entire filesystem needs to be scanned when this option is changed. With lazy-counters enabled, the superblock is not modified or logged on every change of the free-space and inode counters. Instead, enough information is kept in other parts of the filesystem to be able to maintain the counter values without needing to keep them in the superblock. This gives significant improvements in performance on some configurations and metadata intensive workloads. -L label Set the filesystem label to label. XFS filesystem labels can be at most 12 characters long; if label is longer than 12 characters, xfs_admin will truncate it and print a warning message. The filesystem label can be cleared using the special "--" value for label. -U uuid Set the UUID of the filesystem to uuid. A sample UUID looks like this: "c1b9d5a2-f162-11cf-9ece-0020afc76f16". The uuid may also be nil, which will set the filesystem UUID to the null UUID. The uuid may also be generate, which will generate a new UUID for the filesystem. The mount(8) manual entry describes how to mount a filesystem using its label or UUID, rather than its block special device name. SEE ALSO
mkfs.xfs(8), mount(8), xfs_db(8), xfs_growfs(8), xfs_repair(8), xfs(5). xfs_admin(8)