Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Subnetting
Special Forums IP Networking Subnetting Post 34966 by manderson19 on Monday 24th of March 2003 09:52:29 AM
Old 03-24-2003
no they don't, if he has set his router up correctly. he has to make sure that if he is NOT using static routes in his router configuration that he is using a routing protocol that supports VLSM, i.e., RIP version 2 or EIGRP.

that's the purpose of routing and subnetting: not having to have everyone on the same subnet.

hope this helps.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Subnetting in 11 steps

As seen on Digg.com, here is my ip addressing article in full... Original Subnetting in 11 Steps article Subnetting in 11 Steps There are a few things that you will need to know first. I personally use 11 rules that I learned from Mike Vana. Below you will find the 11 rules as well as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jking2100
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Subnetting

Guys, Anyone could help me understand subnetting. I know a bit in networking but there are things that I don't get them easily. Thank You in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Subnetting

Dear friends am confused with the logic behind subnetting. i am learning from video tutorial and quite didn't get it so my question is as below After subnetting class c address by borrowing one bit from host to network , it leaves host with 7 bit and network increases bit to 25 bits . ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lobsang
9 Replies
RIP98D(8)						   Linux System Managers Manual 						 RIP98D(8)

NAME
rip98d - Send and receive RIP98 routing messages SYNOPSIS
rip98d [-d] [-l] [-r] [-t interval] [-v] DESCRIPTION
The RIP98 routing protocol was devised by John Wiseman G8BPQ as an alternative to both traditional RIP and RSPF for use in an RF environ- ment. Its main advantage is that each routing element only takes six bytes and is therefore much more efficient in terms of bandwidth than other routing protocols. In operation rip98d that each neighbour that also uses RIP98 must be listed. RIP98 is not a broadcast protocol and each neighbour is indi- vidually contacted. Any incoming RIP98 message is also validated against this list. The list of neighbours is held in /etc/ax25/rip98d.conf, and each line is either the name or the dotted decimal IP address of the neighbour. The time interval between RIP98 transmissions is set to one hour by default but other intervals can be set with the -t option. The routes advertised and received can be restricted by the -r option which only allows processing of ampr.org addresses. At present rip98d is under development and any feedback on its operation would be welcome. OPTIONS
-d Set debugging on. Information is only output if the logging option is also enabled. -l Enable logging to the system log, the default is off. -r Restricts the transmitting and receiving of routes to ampr.org (44.x.x.x) addresses only. -t interval The time interval between routing broadcasts, in minutes. The default is 60 minutes. -v Display the version. FILES
/proc/net/route /etc/ax25/rip98d.conf SEE ALSO
rip98.conf(5), arp(8), ifconfig(8), route(8). AUTHOR
Jonathan Naylor G4KLX <g4klx@g4klx.demon.co.uk> Linux 20 August 1996 RIP98D(8)