Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking HELP!! NICs went offline suddenly Post 34595 by skotapal on Friday 28th of February 2003 03:34:20 PM
Old 02-28-2003
HELP!! NICs went offline suddenly

I have a new server... We were doing some testing on it over the local ethernet. All was well in the night when we turned off the machine. In the morning we were unable to get the server online. Have changed cables, NICs, looked over network settings... all to no avail.

I am running Redhat Linux 8 on the server. Any one has any suggestions?

Regards

KS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wap suddenly not run

i had a case like this, can anyone help me? :D for months i had web n wap server in one pc, it is running normally till.. yesterday, suddenly wap cannot be accessed, not responding, while the www is running normally i know nothing about this. can anyone help tell me where i can find... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuampang
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Multiple monitors suddenly fails, why?

Ok, so here's the deal. I just get back from a trip to Switzerland - where I held a presentation using my laptop and thus did fiddle with some settings - and I plug my external monitor on my laptop, fiddle the settings back, and it won't work. I have an nvidia graphics card, so I use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBB
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] sed - query - unterminated suddenly

Hi, I have been trying to get various sed statements to work. I thought I had cracked it when suddenly I start recieving these messages "sed: -e expression #1, char 14: unterminated 's' command" It happens on any sed statement I now run. The only thing I have done inbetween trying to get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script under cygwin suddenly says command not found

Running bash in cygwin under 2003 Server. I run about 6 shell windows. Every now and then when I check the machine, all of the scripts are scrolling and returning /usr/bin/whatever: command not found. I checked the event log for a windows event that would cause it, but there was nothing. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gman804s
9 Replies

5. Linux

Rebooted suddenly

Hi Team, server rebooted happen sunddely, i check all the log files but ..i didn't find any reason...kindly share your's ideas with me... Thanks in advace Rajesh_Apple...:b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_Apple
1 Replies

6. Solaris

X86 solaris10 suddenly stopped mounting flashdrive

I can't mount flash drives and dvd drives on my x86 solaris 10. The error message appears after login; sd_media_watch_cb: dev gone. When I issue #mount /usb, it first shows disk is mounted or busy, and '/dev/dsk/c3t0d0p1 - there is no such device or address' when I repeat it. But the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
5 Replies

7. Fedora

Um, my computer suddenly won't start up

Okay, I'm fairly green at Fedora, but it has worked like a gem until now. On startup I get a screen that says this: Booting 'Fedora (3.6.11-4.fc16.x86_64)' Loading Fedora (3.611-4.fc16.x86_64) Loading initial ramdisk .... _Fedora-16-x86_6: Unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anchorsteamer
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Filesystem become read only suddenly

Hi, i just started few days ago to face the problem when the whole system is getting freeze. By freeze i mean: * server is reachable (via network) * i cannot connect to server via SSH or Telnet(when try to use SSH or telnet it will find server, try to connect, but it freeze after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankosun
4 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

I have suddenly become a gambler...

Hi all... Well I bought some raffle _tickets_ to win some 'sticky bits', LOL! I have no idea what 'sticky bits' are but they cost me several thousand bits, making me now a gambler extraordinaire. If I win, those 'sticky bits', whatever they are had better be worth it... ;oDDD Anyhow I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris 11.4 on ESXi 6.5 suddenly boot-looping

Tl;dr Solaris 11.4 won't boot on 2 machines because of what I believe is network issues. Need to know where I can find more info to troubleshoot. I have two Solaris 11.4 systems running on VMware ESXi 6.5u2, which have suddenly (and seemingly for no reason) started boot-looping. Both of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rking267
2 Replies
TIMED(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  TIMED(8)

NAME
timed - time server daemon SYNOPSIS
timed [ -t ] [ -M ] [ -n network ] [ -i network ] DESCRIPTION
Timed is the time server daemon and is normally invoked at boot time from the rc(8) file. It synchronizes the host's time with the time of other machines in a local area network running timed(8). These time servers will slow down the clocks of some machines and speed up the clocks of others to bring them to the average network time. The average network time is computed from measurements of clock differences using the ICMP timestamp request message. The service provided by timed is based on a master-slave scheme. When timed(8) is started on a machine, it asks the master for the net- work time and sets the host's clock to that time. After that, it accepts synchronization messages periodically sent by the master and calls adjtime(2) to perform the needed corrections on the host's clock. It also communicates with date(1) in order to set the date globally, and with timedc(8), a timed control program. If the machine running the master crashes, then the slaves will elect a new master from among slaves running with the -M flag. A timed running without the -M flag will remain a slave. The -t flag enables timed to trace the messages it receives in the file /usr/adm/timed.log. Tracing can be turned on or off by the program timedc(8). Timed normally checks for a master time server on each network to which it is connected, except as modified by the options described below. It will request synchronization service from the first master server located. If permitted by the -M flag, it will provide synchronization service on any attached networks on which no current master server was detected. Such a server propagates the time computed by the top-level master. The -n flag, followed by the name of a network which the host is connected to (see networks(5)), overrides the default choice of the network addresses made by the program. Each time the -n flag appears, that network name is added to a list of valid networks. All other networks are ignored. The -i flag, followed by the name of a network to which the host is connected (see networks(5)), overrides the default choice of the network addresses made by the program. Each time the -i flag appears, that network name is added to a list of networks to ignore. All other networks are used by the time daemon. The -n and -i flags are meaningless if used together. FILES
/usr/adm/timed.log tracing file for timed /usr/adm/timed.masterlog log file for master timed SEE ALSO
date(1), adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2), icmp(4P), timedc(8), TSP: The Time Synchronization Protocol for UNIX 4.3BSD, R. Gusella and S. Zatti 4.3 Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 TIMED(8)