Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automatic boot up
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Automatic boot up Post 34343 by snili on Monday 17th of February 2003 08:24:00 PM
Old 02-17-2003
Java Automatic boot up

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone out there knows how I can make my UNIX server (Using Solaris8) boot up to a prompt without needing me to login.
I simply want to turn on my UNIX box and get to a prompt without needing to input login and password.

Many thanks,

Sid

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt

my redhat 9 will not boot. We had a power failure and when the power came back, my redhat linux will not boot. The machine come up to grub prompt. I tried the following from grub prompt root (hd0, then press tab key partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot boot - Boot : Panic : File size out of range (EWS-UX/V unix)

Hey ! I am running EWS-UX/V (Rel 4.2) on NEC EWS/4800/330 station and I am having problems rebooting my station : I am getting the following message on display : BOOT : PANIC : File size out of range. According to user guide, this error is occuring when a file exceeding the limit and/or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredo
2 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

4. Solaris

cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom

I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

5. SCO

stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

hi SCO Unix 5.0.6 doesn't boot due to this problem: not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot Knows someone howto solve it? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
16 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

8. Solaris

How to specify local boot up disk in CD boot Grub?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, I am wondering what is the correct syntax to edit in Grub when trying to specify the local ZFS boot disk while booting up from a Solaris 10 x86 64bits DVD installation disk. In other word, I try to boot up from local disk without removing the Solaris installation disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris stuck during boot after reconfigure boot

Hello, I have a problem with my machine that won't boot properly. The story is that I installed a software called apcupsd, which is a control application for my APC battery UPS. I have used version 3.14.10 earlier, but as part of restoring my previously crashed os harddrive I wanted to... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorken
18 Replies
SECURENET(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SECURENET(8)

NAME
securenet - Digital Pathways SecureNet Key remote authentication box DESCRIPTION
The SecureNet box is used to authenticate connections to Plan 9 from a foreign system such as a Unix machine or plain terminal. The box, which looks like a calculator, performs DES encryption with a key held in its memory. Another copy of the key is kept on the authentica- tion server. Each box is protected from unauthorized use by a four digit PIN. When the system requires SecureNet authentication, it prompts with a numerical challenge. The response is compared to one generated with the key stored on the authentication server. Respond as follows: Turn on the box and enter your PIN at the EP prompt, followed by the ENT button. Enter the challenge at Ed prompt, again followed ENT. Then type to Plan 9 the response generated by the box. If you make a mistake at any time, reset the box by pressing ON. The authentica- tion server compares the response generated by the box to one computed internally. If they match, the user is accepted. The box will lose its memory if given the wrong PIN five times in succession or if its batteries are removed. To reprogram it, type a 4 at the E0 prompt. At the E1 prompt, enter your key, which consists of eight three-digit octal numbers. While you are entering these digits, the box displays a number ranging from 1 to 8 on the left side of the display. This number corresponds to the octal number you are entering, and changes when you enter the first digit of the next number. When you are done entering your key, press ENT twice. At the E2 prompt, enter a PIN for the box. After you confirm by retyping the PIN at the E3 prompt, you can use the box as normal. You can change the PIN using the following procedure. First, turn on the box and enter your current PIN at the EP prompt. Press ENT three times; this will return you to the EP prompt. Enter your PIN again, followed by ENT; you should see a Ed prompt with a - on the right side of the display. Enter a 0 and press ENT. You should see the E2 prompt; follow the instructions above for entering a PIN. The SecureNet box performs the same encryption as the netcrypt routine (see encrypt(2)). The entered challenge, a decimal number between 0 and 100000, is treated as a text string with trailing binary zero fill to 8 bytes. These 8 bytes are encrypted with the DES algorithm. The first four bytes are printed on the display as hexadecimal numbers. However, when set up as described, the box does not print hexadec- imal digits greater than 9. Instead, it prints a 2 for an A, B, or C, and a 3 for a D, E, or F. If a 5 rather than a 4 is entered at the E0 print, the hexadecimal digits are printed. This is not recommended, as letters are too easily confused with digits on the SecureNet display. SEE ALSO
encrypt(2), auth(2) Digital Pathways, Mountain View, California BUGS
The box is too clumsy. If carried in a pocket, it can turn itself on and wear out the batteries. SECURENET(8)