Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslogging issues
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users syslogging issues Post 33761 by xyyz on Friday 17th of January 2003 06:20:58 PM
Old 01-17-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by RTM
To log to another server:
# emergency messages- log them on another machine.
*.emerg @arpa.berkeley.edu
this is find, but it's not what i want. i don't want to log to another server. the other device is a firewall appliance, not another FreeBSD box. i've told the device to log send it's logs to a syslog server. this example tells how to have my FreeBSD box, send it's logs to another server. this isn't what i want, I want to allow the FreeBSD box to RECEIVE logs from my Webramp (Sonicawall SOHO).
[/quote]

Quote:
Note that this will send the messages from both servers to this file. You can't get around this via the syslog.conf.

Check that syslogd is running on both servers - once you change syslog.conf, you should be able to send a HUP signal to both syslogd processes and start getting messages from both servers into the spoolerr file.
one server, and one firewall appliance.

and syslogd is running on the FreeBSD device.

Quote:
As far as the -a option, insure the -s option isn't being used on either server (disallows logging from/to servers).
i caught this one, but thanks.

Quote:
Once you insure you know where your messages are going (/etc/syslog.conf), and that your syslog daemons are allowing logging from/to remote servers (ps -ef|grep syslogd), then you can look to the -a option. [/B]
the messages for the FreeBSD box itself are going to /var/log/messages. i was told that all other messages should also go there... but they're not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

CISCO syslogging in linux

Hi, I have a cisco router router and a linux box. I would like to know how to configure both the device so that everything that passes through my router gets logged in the linux box. Also I am very much new in cisco router. Is it ok to post such question in this forum, or i need to post it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SU issues

Hi, I have automated a build process that does the following activities. 1. check out code from cvs to a specific directory 2. build the revision checked out with 'ANT' 3. integrate the compiled code with the QA/UAT or new environment (/apps/QA or /apps/UAT or /apps/new directory) I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop issues

Hi guys, Been sifting through these forums for awhile, but never had an account or needed to post. Shoutouts to a great forum with heaps of useful info. Now i consider myself a noob when it comes to linux and to bash scripting. I recently started to learn to use Vmware ESX server which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryath
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with Expect

Here is a snippet of code that work for me: expect "abc" {send_log "abc found" } \ "def" {send_log "def found" } \ "123" {send_log "123 found} however the following does not and according to the book "Exploring Expect" it should be equivalent: expect { "abc"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

rm -rf issues

We are using the solaris server and if i am using rm -rf to delete the directories its asking the confirmation for each and every file inside the directory.Is there any way to disable ( should not ask the confirmation) only for a particular session? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshbabuc
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script issues

#!/bin/bash glist=`cat /etc/group | cut -d ":" -f1,4` ulist=`cat /etc/passwd | cut -d ":" -f1,6` for i in $glist do echo "$glist" done for i in $ulist do echo "$ulist" done chkgrp=`cat /etc/group | cut -d ":" -f1` for a in chkgrp do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduduzi
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issues in setting up remote syslogging

Hello, I am using Ubuntu Linux and having problems in setting up remote syslogging. Appreciate your help on this. On the server unix host, I have made following changes. uncommented following lines in /etc/rsyslog.conf $ModLoad imudp $UDPServerRun 514 Now i am trying to run rsyslog in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues when dividing

Hi, I do have a very simple task to divide 2 variables and display the result. I CANNOT use bc when i try var1=2 var2=4 var3=$(($var1 / $var2)) echo $var3 the output is always 0 What can I change to get a dotted decimal result such as 0.5 ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Issues

I am converting English letters/words/punctuation in leet speak. My current script works just fine, but when I call the functions it seem to be bypassing my second function altogether. I am new to shell scripting so excuse me if its an easy fix. Also, when using SED for whole word phrases like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bri09
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail issues

Hi, I'm having some problems with sendmail in Linux. The thing is when I type the following command to send an e-mail: sendmail bartoszk@companydomain.pl< test.txt it looks like it executed but I don't receive the mail. The file test.txt looks like that: To:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartoszk
3 Replies
syslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - syslogd configuration file SYNOPSIS
facility.severity destination Where: Is part of the system generating the message, specified in /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. See also the syslogd(8) reference page. The severity level, which can be emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, or debug. See /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. The syslogd daemon logs all messages of the specified severity level plus all messages of greater severity. For example, if you specify level err, all messages of levels err, crit, alert, and emerg or panic are logged. A local file pathname to a log file, a host name for remote logging or a list of users. In the latter case the users will receive messages when they are logged in. An asterisk (*) causes a message to be sent to all users who are currently logged in. DESCRIPTION
The /etc/syslog.conf file is a system file that enables you to configure or filter events that are to be logged by syslogd. You can specify more than one facility and its severity level by separating them with semicolons. You can specify more than one facility logs to the same file by separating the facilities with commas, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The syslogd daemon ignores blank lines and lines that begin with an octothorpe (#). You can specify # as the first character in a line to include comments in the file or to disable an entry. The facility and severity level are separated from the destination by one or more tab characters. If you want the syslogd daemon to use a configuration file other than the default, you must specify the file name with the following com- mand: # syslogd -f config_file Daily Log Files You can specify in the /etc/syslog.conf file that the syslogd daemon create daily log files. To create daily log files, use the following syntax to specify the path name of the message destination: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ { file} The file variable specifies the name of the log file, for example, mail.log or kern.log. If you specify a /var/adm/syslog.dated/file path name destination, each day the syslogd daemon creates a sub-directory under the /var/adm/syslog.dated directory and a log file in the sub-directory, using the following syntax: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ date / file Where: The date variable specifies the day, month, and time that the log file was created. The file variable specifies the name of the log file you previously specified in the /etc/syslog.conf file. The syslogd daemon automatically cre- ates a new date directory every 24 hours and also when you boot the system. The current directory is a link to the latest date directory. To get the latest logs, you only need to reference the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current directory. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample /etc/syslog.conf file: # # syslogd config file # # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug # kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log user.debug /var/adm/sys- log.dated/user.log daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log auth.crit;syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log mail,lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/misc.log msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash.dated/msgbuf.savecore kern.debug /var/adm/messages kern.debug /dev/console *.emerg * FILES
/etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.auth - Authorization file for remote logging. /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h - Common components of a syslog event log record. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: /usr/sbin/syslogd(8), /usr/sbin/binlogd(8) System Administration delim off syslog.conf(4)