Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can't change anything in /home Post 33572 by kymberm on Thursday 9th of January 2003 04:06:54 PM
Old 01-09-2003
Can't change anything in /home

Can someone explain to me why I cannot access or change anything to my solaris /home directory on my sun machine? It has permissions of dr-xr-xr-x so I tried to change them to chmod +w /home, tried chmod 755 /home tried chmod -R 755 home and it always says operation unavailable. And I'm in as root, and I also tried logging in as a user and performing su to root and still wouldn't work.
It acts like its a device, like a cdrom, can't write, change attributes.

Thanks!Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files.

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files without changing permissions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mborin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't mkdir in /home

I've just loaded Solaris 5.7 on an Ultra 10 and I'm trying to mkdir in /home as root. I'm getting the following message: mkdir: Failed to make directory "test"; Operation not applicable When I do an ls -al on /home, I get: dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root If I do a df -ak, I get for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leond
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

7. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

could not able change permission of /home dir

Hi i am new to this admin area . i have created user with name as "ab" and gave home dir as /home/ab . when i tried to create the /home/ab dir , i got he following error. "mkdir: Failed to make directory "/home/ab"; Operation not applicable " Thanks in advance . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

9. Solaris

How to change home page?

Hi I am new to Sun OS I am using "SunOS **** 5.9 Generic_122300-47 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-15000" I have logged on as user1, I could see sar -u 5 5. Now I wanted to execute the same command to another users (e.g user2) Question-1 ----------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbmk_design
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change ORACLE HOME?

All, I have to change my ORACLE_HOME in the prodution environment. I have chaged it in .profile file but when I am typing the command bash-2.05$ echo $ORACLE_HOME /apps/oracle/product/10.2.0.4.2011Q1 Instead of Q1 it should show Q3 bcoz I have changed it in .profile file. But at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oracle_User
2 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2: Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3: Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4: Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.10 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)