Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Keeping vars set in while loop with redirection Post 32656 by criglerj on Tuesday 3rd of December 2002 09:44:39 AM
Old 12-03-2002
Error Update: It CAN work in Bourne shell

Smilie Actually, it can work in the Bourne shell. The mistake I made was to use the same variable for loop control and as the result. Specifically, the "exec" version works fine if reading a different variable than you're looking for at the end:
Code:
#!/bin/bsh
k=1
exec <file
while read kr ; do
    k="$kr"
done
exec <&-
echo "$k"

I guess it has something to do with not having a syntactic redirection into the while loop. When the final read "fails" at EOF, then $kr isn't set, but since $k was set, it comes through intact. Can anyone confirm or deny?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection and for loop

Hello, I need help with a bash script that I try to improve. I could not find answer so far, maybe because I'm not to familiar with the terminology so feel free to correct my language. I have a script that looks like: NODES="node_a node_b node_c" for NODE in $NODES do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable in while loop?

Dear All, Can anyone advise why this script isn't run as expected? =========================== status=0 cat /etc/passwd | while read line; do status=1 done echo $status =========================== it always return 0 , but not 1. why? anything wrong? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set lines of in a file to seperate vars

In a bash script, I'm looking for a way to set each matching line of a file into its own variable, or variable array. As an example, i have a crontab file with several entries: 00 23 * * * /usr/local/bin/msqlupdate -all 00 11 * * * /usr/local/bin/msqlupdate -inc 00 03 * * *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set vars (by reference) in function

Hello everyone, I am curious to find a possible way of doing something like this in ksh: call a function and have that function set the value of the variable that the function knows by the name of $1.... example: #! /bin/ksh set_var(){ case $1 in var1) this is where I would like to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set/Export Env Vars from with Shell Script With Input Variable

I have a shell script I want to run that will set environment variables based on the value of an input variable submitted when the shell script is called. For example: $ mgenv.sh prod This would set environment variables for prod $ mgenv.sh test This would set environment variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brtaylor73
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - pass shell-vars into perl for input loop

I need to process a file line-by-line using some value from a shell variable Something like:perl -p -e 's/$shell_srch/$shell_replace/g' input.txt I can't make the '-s' work in the '-p' or '-n' input loop (or couldn't find a syntaxis.) I have searched and found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set variables from file, then loop

Hello, I am very, very new to shell scripting, but what I'm attempting to do is read in a list of user ID's to create on a database system from a CSV flat file, and for each entry run the "create user" script. I've gotten pretty far but I'm having trouble with the looping mechanism.... Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkarren
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

use variable to set the range of a for loop

Hi; For sure there's an easy answer to this one that I am not finding.. I first set a variable, say b1a:] max=5 then I want to use max to set the range for a for loop like so (it should run for i in 1:5) b1a:] for i in {1..$max}; do echo $i; done {1..5} I would like the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbr950
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I set up this loop?

I want to compare two files. I think using grep is the way to go but I do not know how to set this up. Let me show an example: File1 has 1000 items, File2 has 700 items I need to take the first item in File1 and search the entire contents of File2 to see if there is a match there. IF there is a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop output redirection

Hi All, i have below for loop of which i am trying to redirect output in a file: for i in `/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | awk '/flags/ {print $1}' | grep -v lo | sed 's/://g'` do ifconfig $i dhcp status done >> /tmp/logfile but instead the output is appearing as stdout on screen rather than... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
12 Replies
exec(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)