Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting E-Mail from command line for UNIX and Perl?? Post 32380 by jy2728 on Friday 22nd of November 2002 10:45:41 PM
Old 11-22-2002
The code is too long won't fit on one thread here is the rest of the code:

$smtp = $server; # save $server for use outside foreach loop

my $smtpaddr = inet_aton $server;
unless ($smtpaddr) {
$error .= "$server not found\n";
next; # next server
}

my $retried = 0; # reset retries for each server
while ( ( not $connected = connect S, pack_sockaddr_in($port, $smtpaddr) )
and ( $retried < $mailcfg{'retries'} )
) {
$retried++;
$error .= "connect to $server failed ($!)\n";
print "- connect to $server failed ($!)\n" if $mailcfg{'debug'} > 1;
print "retrying in $mailcfg{'delay'} seconds...\n";
sleep $mailcfg{'delay'};
}

if ( $connected ) {
print "- connected to $server\n" if $mailcfg{'debug'} > 3;
last;
}
else {
$error .= "connect to $server failed\n";
print "- connect to $server failed, next server...\n" if $mailcfg{'debug'} > 1;
next; # next server
}
}

unless ( $connected ) {
return fail("connect to $smtp failed ($!) no (more) retries!")
};

{
local $^W = 0; # don't warn on undefined variables
# Add info to log variable
$log .= "Server: $smtp Port: $port\n"
. "From: $fromaddr\n"
. "Subject: $mail{Subject}\n"
. "To: ";
}

my($oldfh) = select(S); $| = 1; select($oldfh);

chomp($_ = <S>);
if (/^[45]/ or !$_) {
return fail("Connection error from $smtp on port $port ($_)")
}

print S "HELO $localhost\015\012";
chomp($_ = <S>);
if (/^[45]/ or !$_) {
return fail("HELO error ($_)")
}

print S "mail from: <$fromaddr>\015\012";
chomp($_ = <S>);
if (/^[45]/ or !$_) {
return fail("mail From: error ($_)")
}

foreach $to (@recipients) {
if ($debug) { print STDERR "sending to: <$to>\n"; }
print S "rcpt to: <$to>\015\012";
chomp($_ = <S>);
if (/^[45]/ or !$_) {
$log .= "!Failed: $to\n ";
return fail("Error sending to <$to> ($_)\n");
}
else {
$log .= "$to\n ";
}
}

print S "data\015\012";
chomp($_ = <S>);
if (/^[45]/ or !$_) {
return fail("Cannot send data ($_)");
}

foreach $header (keys %mail) {
$mail{$header} =~ s/\s+$//o; # kill possible trailing garbage
print S "$header: ", $mail{$header}, "\015\012";
};

print S "\015\012",
$message,
"\015\012.\015\012";

chomp($_ = <S>);
if (/^[45]/ or !$_) {
return fail("message transmission failed ($_)");
}

print S "quit\015\012";
$_ = <S>;
close S;

return 1;
}

Can anyone also tell me what is a perl module and how to use it, the site i got the code from keep saying it is a module and need to download it, can unix do the same thing without using perl? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line send mail

Hi, I am trying to send mail in ubuntu. I have installed postfix. In Redhat I could just type: mail name@domain.com I get the error that the command mail is not found. Does anyone know if there is a different command line to send mail? Can I install the command? Thanks, Eric (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to mail in command line.

Hi Can any one guide me how to mail in ssh command terminal with help of mutt or sendmail command from a proxy client machine . My proxy server is using squid proxy. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayakumarN
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix mail with blank line on variable

I am testing a ksh script for email. In the subject/content of the mail there is some dynamic variables like date and charges. However these variables occupied the entire line erase other in that particular line For e.g. there is a mail message: This mail is intent... Your total... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji.rengaraj
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending a simple mail from command line

Hi, How would one send an email from the command line. Just a simple email. I used mailx -s "test" address@server.domain then hit enter. Nothing happens then, I hit Ctrl + C twice, then I can start a new command again. Any help? Tips? I did read up on this, but the examples is much more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: McGuywer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Perl to utilize Mail Command

Does anyone know a way to use the mail command in perl as a one-liner? I am trying to do something like system("mail username@gmail.com -s Tester) but the only catch is to place the period "." after using the mail command in order to complete the command. I do not want to install any other 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twhitmarsh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/unix: script in command line works but not in perl

so in unix this command works works and shows me a list of directories find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt but when i try running a perl script to run this command my $query = 'find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send mail from command line

Hi All; I need to send emails from command line in some of my shell scripts. I tried : mail -s "Subject" member@body.com < testfile where test file contains body of the mail This work on my mac computer at work BUT not on my mac laptop. Does anyone have any ideas why? Thanks Walforum (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walforum
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

POP3 Mail Client (Command Line)

Hi list, I need a POP3 mail client which I can use from the command line within a bash shell script to download email to a folder location. Can anyone recommend a good POP3 client which can be used from the command line in bash? Using redhat enterprise linux 5 and 6. thanks, Land (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set end of line in mail command

Hi , Am trying to send mail using the mail command, but the mail command is working but its not sending automatically after pressing .(dot) in the command prompt it sends . How to achieve that. Also it showing the below line after pressing the dot . /home/abc1/dead.letter... Saved message in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
PQSTAT(1)							      pqstat								 PQSTAT(1)

NAME
pqstat - List jobs in NetWare print queue SYNOPSIS
pqstat [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] queue name [ job count ] DESCRIPTION
pqstat lists specified number of jobs from the specified NetWare print queue available to you on some server. If you are already connected to some server, this one is used. If pqstat does not print to a tty, the decorative header line is not printed, so that you can count the jobs in print queue by doing pqstat -S server queue | wc -l pqstat looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of .nwclient MUST be 600, for security reasons. OPTIONS
queue name queue name is used to specify queue. You can not use wildcards in the name. job count job count is used to specify how much entries will be shown. Default is to show all entries. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user name If the user name your NetWare administrator gave to you differs from your unix user-id, you should use -U to tell the server about your NetWare user name. -P password You may want to give the password required by the server on the command line. You should be careful about using passwords in scripts. -n -n should be given to mount shares which do not require a password to log in. If neither -n nor -P are given, pqstat prompts for a password. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), nprint(1), slist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8), pqlist(1), pqrm(1) CREDITS
pqstat was written by David Woodhouse (dave@imladris.demon.co.uk) pqstat 03/03/1998 PQSTAT(1)