Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting please help: how to redirect input into a variable Post 32025 by artur80 on Sunday 17th of November 2002 09:18:48 AM
Old 11-17-2002
Lightbulb

Thanks a bunch, worked like a charm!
Smilie Art

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can you redirect multiple files for input?

I have a program that is reading strings into a vector from a file. Currently I am using this command: a.out < file1 The program runs and prints the contents of the vector to the screen, like its supposed to. The problem is that it needs to read in 3 files to fill the vector. Is there anyway... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matrix_Prime
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect input from file?

I need to run a command inside root-environment, and want to use: su - root -c "some command..." Then I am prompted for a password, of course. Is it possible to put this password in a file, and present this files content, to the command above?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjornrud
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect standard error to input of other process, 2| ?

Hello, I would like to know if there is a shell in which operations such as 2| (redirect standard error of one process to the standard input of another one) exist? I know it is possible to do it in bash with things like: (process 2>&1) | other_process but I find it a bit intricate when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlorine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect multiple input files?

I have a program that runs like "cat f1 - f2 -", I need to write shell script to run the program whose standard input will be redirected from 2 files. I spend a whole day on it, but didn't figure out. Can someone help me out? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: microstarwwx
8 Replies

5. Programming

Redirect input and output to a shell script?

Dear All: I am trying to do something that (I thought) was relatively straightforward, but my code snippet does not seem to work. Any suggestions? Thank you Sincerely yours Misha Koshelev #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: misha680
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Complex Input/Output Redirect

Hi All, Sorry if the title is not good but I did not know how to explain with only some words! What I meant is: I have a unix command built from a private application vendor that when executed it prompts for two entries by the keyboard, let's say, for example: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: felipe.vinturin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect input within case statement?

I'm trying to run the logic below but get a `<' is not matched error message when I return a Y or y; printf "Run this ? : " read RESP case $RESP in Y|y) cat <<EOF > file today is Monday EOF ;; N|n) exit 1 ;; esac Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h8mmer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using redirect for input instead of command line

I have a script that is working when I input parameters from the command line. I was under the assumption that i could use a redirect for the input. script fred.sh: value1=$1 value2=$2 print $value1 $value2 Running from command line: fred.sh 1 2 1 2 Contents of file fred.txt:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djm2112
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seeing input that you redirect to a program on the shell

Suppose I have a program that I've written that accepts input, ie this C++ program: #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { cout << "Enter something:" << endl; int x; cin >> x; cout << "You entered data" << endl; } Suppose that I have a text file,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris J
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to the same input file in awk

Hi, I want to compare a value from test file and redirect the o/p value to the same file input file 250 32000 32 128 Below is my code awk '{ if ($1 < "300") print $1 > /tmp/test}' test want to compare 250 < 300 then print 300 to the same place below is the... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
24 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
[file] DESCRIPTION
makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It starts a shell named by the environment variable, or by default and silently records a copy of output to your terminal from that shell or its descendents, using a pseudo-terminal device (see pty(7)). All output is written to file, or appended to file if the option is given. If no file name is given, the output is saved in a file named The recording can be sent to a line printer later with lp(1), or reviewed safely with the option of cat(1). The recording ends when the forked shell exits (or the user ends the session by typing "exit") or the shell and all its descendents close the pseudo-terminal device. This program is useful when operating a CRT display and a hard-copy record of the dialog is desired. It can also be used for a simple form of session auditing. respects the convention for login shells as described in su(1), sh(1), and ksh(1). Thus, if it is invoked with a command name beginning with a hyphen (that is, passes a basename to the shell that is also preceded by a hyphen. The input flow control can be enabled by setting environmental variable before running Please see section for details on using this envi- ronment variable. EXAMPLES
Save everything printed on the user's screen into file Append a copy of everything printed to the user's screen to file WARNINGS
A command such as which displays the contents of the destination file, should not be issued while executing because it would cause to log the output of the command to itself until all available disk space is filled. Other commands, such as more(1), can cause the same problem but to a lesser degree. records all received output in the file, including typing errors, backspaces, and cursor motions. Note that it does not record typed char- acters; only echoed characters. Thus passwords are not recorded in the file. Responses other than simple echoes (such as output from screen-oriented editors and command editing) are recorded as they appeared in the original session. When there is no input flow control is not set), there can be some data loss while using However, script(1) can behave unexpectedly, if is set and is not set. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. script(1)