Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare an item in one line of a file against an item in the next line of the same file Post 303045962 by championc on Monday 20th of April 2020 05:18:01 AM
Old 04-20-2020
You're an absolute star - thank you so much.

My issue was that I have to run it (exactly the same command request) on 50+ (nearer to 100) devices. So being able to logon to each device and just paste in a script on the commd line is so much simpler that needing to create a file on each device.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file and stopping at first item found

Hello, I try to write a shell script that would list all files on a directory and stop when it finds the first item specified on a find or ls command. How can I tell to the find or ls command to stop when it finds the first ".doc" file for example ? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davchris
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading each item from a formatted file

Hi, I have a file generated like this - 1. Fire SQL and store the formatted output in a temp file echo "select path, empid, age from emp_tbl" | /usr/sql emp_db 2 > count_file | grep vol > tempFile 2. The tempFile looks like this after the above statement /vol/emp1 0732 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print new item in file with symbol

Dear all, I have encountered some problem here. I prompt the user for input and store it into a data file, eg. key in name and marks so the data file will look like this andrew 80 ben 75 and the next input is carine 90. So the problem here is i want to print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: branred
2 Replies

4. Programming

Storing C++-struct in file - problem when adding new item in struct

Hi, I have received an application that stores some properties in a file. The existing struct looks like this: struct TData { UINT uSizeIncludingStrings; // copy of Telnet data struct UINT uSize; // basic properties: TCHAR szHost; //defined in Sshconfig UINT iPortNr; TCHAR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Powerponken
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare file line by line with awk

im a newbee to unix. I have a requirement to compare two files with awk. file1.txt a b c d e file2.txt a b d e here i want to compare each line in file1 with corresponding line in file2 and prinf the line with difference. ie to check required result as shown below a=a (dont... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranps
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare previous and current item in for loop in bash?

Hey, I am trying to compare formated login and logout dates from one user at a host which I have stored in a tmp directory in order to find out the total login time. I need to compare them in order to find overlapping intervals. At first I tried to store each log in and logo date in an array... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mumu123
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Zabbix item for last line of a log file

Dear all,Zabbix version : 2.4 (yes, I know, upgrading soon - honest) Server OS version : CentOS 6, 64-bit (CentOS 7 with the Zabbix upgrade)I've got a large log file that I would like to read by an external process. It's basically the same as reading the item value on a web-page. I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to process a list of items and uncomment lines with that item in a second file

Hello, I have a src code file where I need to uncomment many lines. The lines I need to uncomment look like, C CALL l_r(DESNAME,DESOUT, 'Gmax', ESH(10), NO_APP, JJ) The comment is the "C" in the first column. This needs to be deleted so that there are 6 spaces preceding "CALL".... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies
lat_manual_setup(7)					 Miscellaneous Information Manual				       lat_manual_setup(7)

NAME
lat_manual_setup - Describes how to manually set up the Local Area Transport (LAT) DESCRIPTION
To run LAT on your system, you must configure LAT in your system's kernel (see the Network Administration manual). Optionally, you can customize your LAT setup. The customization section of the Network Administration manual includes information on gen- eral customization, setting up printers, host-initiated connections, the LAT/Telnet gateway, and creating your own service. For more information on customizing LAT, see the Network Administration manual. Setting Up LAT To set up LAT on your system manually, you must first configure your kernel for LAT (see the Network Administration manual). Then log in as superuser and perform the following steps: Create the LAT device special files. LAT supports SVR4-style and BSD-style devices. You should use SVR4-style devices. See the Network Administration manual for more information. You should use the latsetup utility to create SVR4-style devices to ensure that duplicate minor numbers are not used. You can use the mknod command to create character devices with a major number of 5. If you create SVR4 devices manually, you should observe the following rules: Start the SVR4 device numbers at /dev/lat/620. This avoids overlapping minor numbers from the BSD tty name space. Make the minor number of the SVR4 device the same as the name. For example, device /dev/lat/833 should have minor num- ber 833. The following command would create the SVR4-style LAT device /dev/lat/833: # /usr/sbin/mknod /dev/lat/833 c 5 833 Once you have created the SVR4-style device, check the permissions of the device to make sure they are what you desire. You can create BSD-style devices by running the /dev/MAKEDEV script with the LAT option. The syntax for the MAKEDEV command with the LAT option is as follows: MAKEDEV latN The N variable can be 0 to 38. The /dev/MAKEDEV script creates one BSD-style LAT device special file for each LAT terminal device. When you run the MAKEDEV script, it creates 16 BSD-style LAT device special files, and creates the LAT control device (/dev/streams/lat), if it has not already been created. The MAKEDEV script requires 16 contiguous LAT device special files to be available. (Specifying lat38 requires only 12 contiguous LAT device special files to be available.) For example, the following commands create a total of 32 BSD-style LAT device special files: # cd /dev # MAKEDEV lat0 # MAKEDEV lat1 Record the device special file information displayed by the MAKEDEV script. The special file names vary depending on the number of terminal devices already configured. The following is sample output from the MAKEDEV command: MAKEDEV: special file(s) for lat1: tty16 tty17 tty18 tty19 tty1a tty1b tty1c tty1d tty1e tty1f tty1g tty1h tty1i tty1j tty1k tty1l Edit the /etc/inittab file to include entries for the LAT device special files you created. For example: lat620:34:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/lat/620 console vt100 lat621:34:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty lat/621 console vt100 lat630:34:respawn:/usr/sbin/lattelnet lat/630 lattelnet The second field (34) specifies the run levels at which the LAT devices are spawned; in this example, the getty process is spawned at either run level 3 or 4. The first entry uses an absolute pathname for the device (/dev/lat/620). The second uses a relative pathname (lat/621). The previous example shows how to add entries to the /etc/inittab file for SVR4 LAT devices. The following example shows entries for BSD LAT devices: lat16:34:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty tty16 console vt100 lat17:34:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty tty17 console vt100 lat18:34:respawn:/usr/sbin/lattelnet tty18 lattelnet18 For more information, see the inittab(4) and getty(8) reference pages. The Network Administration manual provides additional information on SVR4 and BSD devices. Use the following command to spawn the pro- cesses for the LAT device special files that you added to the /etc/inittab file: # /sbin/init q Create the STREAMS special file required by LAT by issuing the following command: # /usr/sbin/strsetup -i Enable LAT automatic startup and shutdown by using the following command: # /usr/sbin/rcmgr set LAT_SETUP 1 When LAT automatic startup and shutdown is enabled, the /sbin/init.d/lat file automatically starts LAT upon reaching run level 3 and automatically stops LAT when exiting run level 3. Start LAT by issuing the following command: # /usr/sbin/latcp -s RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: llogin(1), netstat(1), getty(8), init(8), latcp(8), latsetup(8), MAKEDEV(8), mknod(8), rcmgr(8), strsetup(8). Files: inittab(4). Introduction: lat_intro(7). Network Administration , System Administration delim off lat_manual_setup(7)