Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Kshrc custom prompt will not work Post 303040359 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 27th of October 2019 03:50:23 PM
Old 10-27-2019
Try -e on your echo command and escape the $( from _collapsed_pwd like this:

Code:
PS1="$(echo -e "${GREEN}${USER}${NORM}@${HOSTNAME}:[${GREEN}\$(_collapsed_pwd)${NORM}]:$")"

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kshrc

An odd problem using .kshrc, if I run with this in my home login directory it works fine other than if I use 'man', where each word of the manual entry is on a seperate line ?. I'm using AIX 5.3 (it worked fine on 5.2). Anyone seen this before ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting current work directory in Command Prompt

How to get the current working directory as part of the command prompt? Every time I chage the folder, my command prompt path shoud change. I am using Korn Shell. Any help is greatly appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeganP
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

.kshrc is not executing

Hi, I am facing two problems in my environment. Anyone can help on this? Thanks in advance. Problem 1 --------- When i login into my new unix system, only the .profile is executing. .kshrc is not executing. But my default shell is .ksh Any setup to be changed ? Problem 2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
7 Replies

4. AIX

Custom AIX Prompt

In my .profile, my prompt is set like this: set -o vi PS1=`logname`@`hostname -s`:'$PWD>' Is there a way to show what the history number would be of the command I'm typing in the prompt? For example, I frequently run commands then run 'history' to pull up the history number of a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptrotter
2 Replies

5. AIX

"/" doesn't work on command prompt for searching commands last typed

When I use "/" to look for a particular command that I typed in the current session it says D02:-/home/user1/temp> /job ksh: /job: not found. D02:-/home/user1/temp> previously it used to fetch all the commands which had job in it.. for example subjob, endjob, joblist etc... may I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetzap
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh93 vs. Pdksh88: Custom PS1 prompt not working

Greetings! I have to work with a NFS user id between two hosts: A running Ksh 93 and B running pdksh 88. My problem has to do with the custom prompt I created on A: it works like a charm and display colors: PS1="$'\E But I switch over to B, it all goes to hell (private info... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change / Setup bash custom prompt (PS1)

I am trying to create my custom prompt and I have almost succeeded. Right now I have PS1='\n\\$\ ' What I have not figured out is how to make the directories bold when I'm using commands ls or ls -la. Any idea how to do it??? Many thanx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emailkia
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Color prompt with file numbers does not work anymore

I have used this color prompt on my servers for long time, in file ~\.bashrc Black="\" Dark="\" Blue="\" LBlue="\" Green="\" LGreen="\" Cyan="\" LCyan="\" Red="\" LRed="\" Purple="\" LPurple="\" Brown="\" Yellow="\" LGray="\" White="\" Reset="\" PS1="$Yellow\u@\h $LBlue\w... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL6 customizing prompt do not work

Hi, I'm trying to customize the ksh prompt for users on a RHEL 6.6 system for having user@host pwd : $ and user@host pwd # in red color for root. I think it's possible but i do not even succeded for a non root user : I added in my ~/.kshrc : PS1="Hello : " and it works but when i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fundix
4 Replies

10. Linux

How to make this command work wihtout password prompt?

Hi, I am trying to run this command to connect to each server without being prompted for the password. How can I do this in Linux redhat 7.2: for HOST in $VIPS; do su - Myadminid -c "ssh -o ConnectTimeout=10 $HOST 'date; hostname; pkill -9 -f -u Myadminid xx00 ; ps -ef |grep Myadminid'" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
7 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)