Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash on Fedora error on basic script Post 303040286 by ngabrani on Saturday 26th of October 2019 12:05:12 AM
Old 10-26-2019
Bash on Fedora error on basic script

I am not able to execute bash script on Fedora. They were running on another environment. This is a sample script:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
input="./data/heu/hout1"
i=1
j=0
while IFS= read -r file1
do
#Some code here
done < "$input"

#echo $j

I get an error:
bash: s.sh: command not found...

s.sh is the name of the file.

If I change the first line to
Code:
#!/bin/bash

I still get the same error. Appreciate your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do basic unix commands not work in BASH

Why do basic unix commands such as "ls" not work in "BASH" mode?? I am frustrated!! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PixelLover
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash 'for loop' usage

Hi! I have a simple question about using a for loop. I'm trying to open up all the zip files in the currect directory with ark, but I am getting the error "bash: syntax error near unexpected token `for $i ; do ark $i ; done ; I looked in the info pages for bash, but I can't seem to figure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orange Stripes
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix bash script help

Hello there Been using Unix bash scripting for two days now so am very new to this. I am currently doing a project now and i'm basically making a noughts and crosses game (or tic tac toe). I have created the board using an array. When I try and check to see if the array is empty using an If... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChrisHoogie
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring a file - Basic Bash Question

*This is not homework I am new to UNIX and want to try this Monitoring a file demo* *If this is the wrong forum please move it - im new to the forums* $1 = the file to be monitored $2 = the time for the file to sleep If the file gets changed (using -nt) it will send my username mail saying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nolan-
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash -- pulling files from an FTP server

Hi guys. Very new to this so apologies if this is ridiculously obvious, but I am not sure why this isn't working. I want to pull a file off an FTP server. I currently do it through windows, which is no problem, but I want to move everything to a Linux box I just installed. wget won't work as the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormajormajor
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash, echo in loop for

Hi, I am trying to make a script to manage log. I want to write the name of the .gz I moved and the date : for i in `ls $replog/*.gz` do echo " $i " `echo $i date +%d:%m:%Y` `echo $datee `>> $replog/mrnet.log mv $i /var/log/vieux-logs done I need to echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dabless
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in making a basic bash script

Hi All, I am trying to monitor CPU load of few processes, with the same name. The output that I get from top is the following 28171 root 20 0 1089m 21m 3608 S 103 0.3 15:16.89 /opt/ppp//h264rtptranscoder.bin --videoPort=14504 --audioPort=14505 27589 root 20 0 1060m 23m... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviusbr
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Bash algorithm with sum/subtraction

Hi all, i'm making some test on a data file. Imagine i have two columns inside it : 80377,20 80377,20 80379,19 80378,20 80380,20 80382,20 80381,21 Just to understand how can it works, imagine to subtract 100 to the number in the first column when the other one in the second... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner bash - basic shell script 'while' help...

Hi everyone, first time visitor to these forums here. Keeping a long story short I've been attempting to learn how to code in bash. I have VERY little previous experience with coding languages besides simply copying and pasting batch scripts for Windows. So, with that in mind I've followed a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meta
4 Replies

10. Fedora

Bash shell problem on Fedora Linux

My shell environment is bash and desktop environment is LXDE. When I use the up and down button on the keyboard to view the command history on bash shell, many times part of the command from the history remains on the line. For example /home/milhan > ssh somedomain.org /home/milhan > then when I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
5 Replies
PMDABASH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PMDABASH(1)

NAME
pmdabash - Bourne-Again SHell trace performance metrics domain agent SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/pmdabash [-C] [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-I interval] [-t timeout] [-U username] configfile DESCRIPTION
pmdabash is an experimental Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports "xtrace" events from a traced bash(1) process. This includes the command execution information that would usually be sent to standard error with the set -x option to the shell. Event metrics are exported showing each command executed, the function name and line number in the script, and a timestamp. Additionally, the process identifier for the shell and its parent process are exported. This requires bash version 4 or later. A brief description of the pmdabash command line options follows: -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named bash.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdabash is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -s Amount of time (in seconds) between subsequent evaluations of the shell trace file descriptor(s). The default is 2 seconds. -m Maximum amount of memory to be allowed for each event queue (one per traced process). The default is 2 megabytes. -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default. INSTALLATION
In order for a host to export the names, help text and values for the bash performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Install As soon as an instrumented shell script (see INSTRUMENTATION selection below) is run, with tracing enabled, new metric values will appear - no further setup of the agent is required. If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Remove pmdabash is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. INSTRUMENTATION
In order to allow the flow of event data between a bash(1) script and pmdabash, the script should take the following actions: #!/bin/sh source $PCP_DIR/etc/pcp.sh pcp_trace on $@ # enable tracing echo "awoke, $count" pcp_trace off # disable tracing The tracing can be enabled and disabled any number of times by the script. On successful installation of the agent, several metrics will be available: $ pminfo bash bash.xtrace.numclients bash.xtrace.maxmem bash.xtrace.queuemem bash.xtrace.count bash.xtrace.records bash.xtrace.parameters.pid bash.xtrace.parameters.parent bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno bash.xtrace.parameters.function bash.xtrace.parameters.command When an instrumented script is running, the generation of event records can be verified using the pmevent(1) command, as follows: $ pmevent -t 1 -x '' bash.xtrace.records host: localhost samples: all bash.xtrace.records["4538 ./test-trace.sh 1 2 3"]: 5 event records 10:00:05.000 --- event record [0] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 43 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "true" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [1] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 45 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "(( count++ ))" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [2] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 46 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "echo 'awoke, 3'" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [3] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 47 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "tired 2" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [4] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 38 bash.xtrace.parameters.function "tired" bash.xtrace.parameters.command "sleep 2" FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdabash $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/help default help text file for the bash metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Install installation script for the pmdabash agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Remove undo installation script for pmdabash $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/bash.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdabash PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
bash(1), pmevent(1) and pmcd(1). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDABASH(1)