Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Undeletable file
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Undeletable file Post 303036945 by wisecracker on Thursday 18th of July 2019 01:23:59 PM
Old 07-18-2019
Hi...

On inspection the two NULL characters that you have shown us are unicode when hexdumped:
Code:
Last login: Thu Jul 18 16:34:33 on console
AMIGA:amiga~> hexdump -C <<< "␀␀Word Finder® Plus™"
00000000  e2 90 80 e2 90 80 57 6f  72 64 20 46 69 6e 64 65  |......Word Finde|
00000010  72 c2 ae 20 50 6c 75 73  e2 84 a2 0a              |r.. Plus....|
0000001c
AMIGA:amiga~> _

Have you tried the GUI dragging the file to the 'Trash' from within Finder, then clearing the Trash?
How about using single quotes instead of double?
How about mv '␀␀Word Finder® Plus™' /tmp/testname in single quotes and let the system remove it during reboot.
Are all the relevant permissions set for YOU to read and write from and to the file?
Remember any of these could cause problems so be very aware.
And finally are you absolutely sure you have the FULL filename and not missing, say, trailing spaces(s)?
That is all I can think of so far...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

undeletable file

when i try to ls -lrt the directory, the "undeletable" file is listed. but when i try to ls -lrt *exe, the "undeletable" file is not listed. this "undeletable" is the file that i want to delete from the directory. but when i try to delete/rename/copy.... it, it show that "No such file or... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chxxangie
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files.... undeletable.

I've some files created by a script. For some reason last time the script run was interrupted for an error and the files produced by the script are undeletable. i've tryed as root with command 'rm' and even if i got no error in command execution the files are still there. These are the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirrorx
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
ASCII(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ASCII(1)

NAME
ascii, unicode - interpret ASCII, Unicode characters SYNOPSIS
ascii [ -8 ] [ -oxdbn ] [ -nct ] [ text ] unicode [ -nt ] hexmin-hexmax unicode [ -t ] hex [ ... ] unicode [ -n ] characters look hex /lib/unicode DESCRIPTION
Ascii prints the ASCII values corresponding to characters and vice versa; under the -8 option, the ISO Latin-1 extensions (codes 0200-0377) are included. The values are interpreted in a settable numeric base; -o specifies octal, -d decimal, -x hexadecimal (the default), and -bn base n. With no arguments, ascii prints a table of the character set in the specified base. Characters of text are converted to their ASCII val- ues, one per line. If, however, the first text argument is a valid number in the specified base, conversion goes the opposite way. Control characters are printed as two- or three-character mnemonics. Other options are: -n Force numeric output. -c Force character output. -t Convert from numbers to running text; do not interpret control characters or insert newlines. Unicode is similar; it converts between UTF and character values from the Unicode Standard (see utf(6)). If given a range of hexadecimal numbers, unicode prints a table of the specified Unicode characters -- their values and UTF representations. Otherwise it translates from UTF to numeric value or vice versa, depending on the appearance of the supplied text; the -n option forces numeric output to avoid ambigu- ity with numeric characters. If converting to UTF , the characters are printed one per line unless the -t flag is set, in which case the output is a single string containing only the specified characters. Unlike ascii, unicode treats no characters specially. The output of ascii and unicode may be unhelpful if the characters printed are not available in the current font. The file /lib/unicode contains a table of characters and descriptions, sorted in hexadecimal order, suitable for look(1) on the lower case hex values of characters. EXAMPLES
ascii -d Print the ASCII table base 10. unicode p Print the hex value of `p'. unicode 2200-22f1 Print a table of miscellaneous mathematical symbols. look 039 /lib/unicode See the start of the Greek alphabet's encoding in the Unicode Standard. FILES
/lib/unicode table of characters and descriptions. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/ascii.c /sys/src/cmd/unicode.c SEE ALSO
look(1) tcs(1), utf(6), font(6), ASCII(1)