Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Unable to add 300gb secondary disk to running 11.11 HPUX system Post 303036485 by mrmurdock on Friday 28th of June 2019 11:44:04 AM
Old 06-28-2019
Unable to add 300gb secondary disk to running 11.11 HPUX system

This has got to be the system from hell. Once again, on the RP4440 (after the supplier replaced the entire box due to the bad RTC battery), finally have it all reloaded with the packages the developers need. The last thing is to add the secondary disk to the OS.

BCH sees both OS and secondary disk, IOSCAN sees the disk, ioscan -funC, the disk shows up, diskinfo reads the disk ok, HOWEVER, when I do a vgcreate I get VGRA appears corrupted at the end of the create. pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0, works, vgcreate works and Vgdisplay actually shows the vg online and available and good, but the VGRA appears corrupted still occurs. lvmtab gets updated. vgcfgbackup vg01 fails, lvcreate WORKS, but mkfs fails.

If I vgchange -a n vg01, then vgchange -a y vg01 it cannot import the vg because it cannot associate the vg to a physical volume.

I have replaced the disk, Patched to Dec '09 release of OS patches from ITRC. Did searches for LVM, SCSI, DISK, SAM, VGRA and downloaded and installed the patches. Still fails. Any Ideas?

As of now, DD is able to write just fine to the disk (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c3t0d0 bs=1024k count=300000)

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags

Last edited by mrmurdock; 07-01-2019 at 05:43 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Hpux Disk Cloning

hello, Anybody that has already running script or command that can disk clone the hpux machine thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running a Perl script on HPUX platform

Hi, I wish to execute a simple perl script to pass unix commands on a HPUX platform, retrieve the result and filter through the text to determine outcomes x,y and z. I am developing the code on my windows system. I initially wrote the code to issue UNIX commands line by line, however i soon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmetcalfe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To get PID of a command passed to a secondary system

Hi Reqmt: I am working on Sys 1 and passes a command to Sys2 using a utility which has ssh coded in it. Is there any way to get the process id of the command in Sys 2 from my Sys1 ? Note: The utility is not editable, so you cannot get it through it and I am not logged in in Sys2. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anu_math9
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

shift hard disk from primary IDE channel to secondary IDE channal

Wellcomes All, some times ago I 've installed a Debian ditribution on an Hard Disk who was set as Primary Master. Few days ago, I 've decided to install another Hard Disk with a different Operating System. When I did that, I turned off the old hard disk, and I mouted the new one on the Primary IDE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thekarsillo
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unable to kill processes on HPUX

HPUX version B.11.23 as reported by uname -a Start with default signal I believe is -15 #kill PID Process still present. #kill -9 PID Process still present, even after repeated attempt and waiting. PPID becomes 1 which is the init process started at boot time. So far only way to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewdesimone
8 Replies

6. Solaris

new secondary disk

I just added a new disk i suppose the disk is not supported by sun solaris pls can someone advice on what i can do. pls see below: # format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 15934 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to add disk to VG group.

Hi, I am new to solaris administration. I have scan the new EMC SAN disk. I am able to see the disk when i run the powermt display dev=all command o/p. I want to format the disk and add file system to that disk. Can have formated the disk. and this the o/p of my format bash-3.00# prtvtoc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

Recovering files from unbootable disk in HPUX 9

First of all, forgive me if I come off as naive. Normally I'm doing day-to-day management of a Server 2008 network, so HP-UX isn't exactly my forte. We have several HP 715/100 machines running UX 9.x, and recently one of them stopped being able to boot. In the boot menu the disk shows up with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldnPantaloons
3 Replies

9. Linux

Openldap add user to secondary group

Hello, i try to add user john to secondary group, named groupB this will add as primary group, how can i add to secondary group?? dn: cn=groupB,ou=Groups,dc=ldap-server,dc=com changetype: modify add: memberuid memberuid: john (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies
LVM(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    LVM(8)

NAME
lvm - Linux Logical Volume Manager DESCRIPTION
lvm is a logical volume manager for Linux. It enables you to concatenate several physical volumes (hard disks etc.) into a so called vol- ume group (VG, see pvcreate(8) and vgcreate(8) ) forming a storage pool, like a virtual disk. IDE, SCSI disks as well as multiple devices (MD) are supported. The storage capacity of a volume group can be divided into logical volumes (LVs), like virtual disk partitions. The size of a logical volume is in multiples of physical extents (PEs, see lvcreate(8) ). The size of the physical extents can be configured at volume group creation time. If a logical volume is too small or too large you can change its size at runtime ( see lvextend(8) and lvreduce(8) ). lvcreate(8) can be used to create snapshots of existing logical volumes (so called original logical volumes in this context) as well. Creating a snapshot logical volumes grants access to the contents of the original logical volume it is associated with and exposes the read only contents at the creation time of the snapshot. This is useful for backups or for keeping several versions of filesystems online. If you run out of space in a volume group it is possible to add one or more pvcreate'd disks to the system and put them into an existing volume group ( see vgextend(8) ). The space on these new physical volumes can be dynamically added to logical volumes in that volume group ( see lvextend(8) ). To remove a physical volume from the system you can move allocated logical extents to different physical volumes ( see pvmove(8) ). After the pvmove the volume group can be reduced with the vgreduce(8) command. Inactive volume groups must be activated with vgchange(8) before use. vgcreate(8) automatically activates a newly created volume group. Abbreviations PV for physical volume, PE for physical extent, VG for volume group, LV for logical volume, and LE for logical extent. Command naming convention All command names corresponding to physical volumes start with pv, all the ones concerned with volume groups start with vg and all for log- ical volumes with lv. General purpose commands for the lvm as a whole start with lvm. VGDA
The volume group descriptor area (or VGDA for short) holds the necessary metadata to handle the LVM functionality. It is stored at the beginning of each pvcreate'd disk. It contains four parts: one PV descriptor, one VG descriptor, the LV descriptors and several PE descriptors. LE descriptors are derived from the PE ones at vgchange(8) time. Automatic backups of the VGDA are stored in files in /etc/lvmconf/ (please see vgcfgbackup(8)/vgcfgrestore(8) too). Take care to include these files in your regular (tape) backups as well. Limits Currently up to 99 volume groups with a grand total of 256 logical volumes can be created. The limit for the logical volumes is not caused by the LVM but by Linux 8 bit device minor numbers. This means that you can have 99 volume groups with 1-3 logical volumes each or on the other hand 1 volume group with up to 256 logical vol- umes or anything in between these extreme examples. Depending on the physical extent size specified at volume group creation time (see vgcreate(8) ), logical volumes of between a maximum of 512 Megabytes and 1 Petabyte can be created. Actual Linux kernels on IA32 limit these lvm possibilities to a maximum of 2 Terabytes per logical and per physical volume as well. This enables you to have as much as 256 Terabytes under LVM control with all possible 128 scsi disk subsystems. You can have up to 65534 logical extents (on IA32) in a logical volume at the cost of 1 Megabyte in kernel memory. Phys- ical volumes can have up to 65534 physical extents. /proc filesystem support The operational state of active volume groups with their physical and logical volumes can be found in the /proc/lvm/ directory. /proc/lvm/global contains a summary of all available information regarding all VGs, LVs and PVs. The two flags for PV status in brackets mean A/I for active/inactive and A/N for allocatable or non-allocatable. The four flags for LV status in brackets mean A/I for active/inactive, R/W for read-only or read/write, D/C for discontiguous or contiguous and L/S for linear or striped. S can optionally be followed by the number of stripes in the set. At /proc/lvm/VGs/ starts a subdirectory hierarchy containing information about every VG in a different subdirectory named /proc/lvm/VGs/VolumeGroupName where VolumeGroupName stands for an arbitrary VG name. /proc/lvm/VGs/Vol- umeGroupName/ in turn holds a file group containing summary information for the VG as a total. /proc/lvm/VGs/VolumeGroupName/LVs/Logi- calVolumeName holds information for an arbitrary LV named LogicalVolumeName /proc/lvm/VGs/VolumeGroupName/PVs/PhysicalVolumeName contains information for an arbitrary PV named PhysicalVolumeName. All of the information in the files below /proc/lvm/VGs/ is presented in attribute/value pairs to be easyly parsable. Examples We have disk partitions /dev/sda3, /dev/sdb1 and /dev/hda2 free for use and want to create a volume group named "test_vg". Steps required: 1. Change partition type for these 3 partitions to 0x8e with fdisk. (see pvcreate(8): 0x8e identifies LVM partitions) 2. pvcreate /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb1 /dev/hda2 3. vgcreate test_vg /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb1 /dev/hda2 With our volume group "test_vg" now online, we can create logical volumes. For example a logical volume with a size of 100MB and standard name (/dev/test_vg/lvol1) and another one named "my_test_lv" with size 200MB striped (RAID0) across all the three physical volumes. Steps required: 1. lvcreate -L 100 test_vg 2. lvcreate -L 200 -n my_test_lv -i 3 test_vg Now let's rock and roll. For example create a file system with "mkfs -t ext2 /dev/test_vg/my_test_lv" and mount it with "mount /dev/test_vg/my_test_lv /usr1" See also e2fsadm(8), lvchange(8), lvcreate(8), lvdisplay(8), lvextend(8), lvmchange(8), lvmdiskscan(8), lvmcreate_initrd(8), lvmsadc(8), lvmsar(8), lvreduce(8), lvremove(8), lvrename(8), lvscan(8), pvchange(8), pvcreate(8), pvdata(8), pvdisplay(8), pvmove(8), pvscan(8), vgcfgbackup(8), vgcfgrestore(8), vgchange(8), vgck(8), vgcreate(8), vgdisplay(8), vgexport(8), vgextend(8), vgimport(8), vgmerge(8), vgmknodes(8), vgreduce(8), vgremove(8), vgrename(8), vgscan(8), vgsplit(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS LVM(8)