Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: About echo command in csh
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers About echo command in csh Post 303030995 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 20th of February 2019 10:15:05 AM
Old 02-20-2019
A here document is a good alternative because it takes the text as is
Code:
cat << _EOT
000    'iexpt ' = experiment number x10 (000=from archive file)
  3    'yrflag' = days in year flag (0=360J16,1=366J16,2=366J01,3-actual)
  0     'ntracr' = number of tracers (to plot, optional with default 0)
 213    'idm   ' = longitudinal array size
 363    'jdm   ' = latitudinal  array size
 49    'kdm   ' = number of layers
 10.0    'thbase' = reference density (sigma units)
  1    'nperfr' = number of horizontal plots per frame
  1    'lalolb' = spacing of latitude/longitude labels
  1    'lalogr' = spacing of latitude/longitude grid over land (<0 land+sea)
  4    'loclab' = location of the contour label (0=input,1=upr,2=lowr,3=lowl,4=upl)
 11    'locbar' = location of the color bar     (1[0-4]=vert,2[0-4]=horiz,10=right, 20=bottom,15=cr,16=cl ,25=ct,26=cb)
  0     'gray  ' = no color (0=color,1=neg.gray,2=pos.gray), OPTIONAL default
_EOT

It copies the next lines until the _EOT marker is found at the beginning of the line. (Any unique word can be used as an end marker.)
This will substitute a $variable by its value (like in echo "$variable").
If the opening marker is in quotes cat << "_EOT" it will NOT replace a $variable by its value.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csh and the set command

Hi, I am trying to write a csh script that will run another csh script, but redirect the output from the second script to an email. my code looks like this. #!/bin/csh ## This script is designed to run the SSM.sh ## then email the output to a specified email address ## it will also display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh -f and the at command

Hi everyone. I am new to the forums and new to Unix, so please pardon my beginner "status". In my company, we have a few C shell scripts, which we call BAT files (!). They all start with the usual "#/bin/csh" line to get it to run the .cshrc script which preloads the session with a lot of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SpanishPassion
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any thing like this perl command is csh?

I mean this : perl -pi -e 's/OS/blah/g' *.c* The Great thing in such thing i dont need to rename orig then rename back when i do it with sed for instance inside csh shell , is there any way to avoid this with sed/awk/what ever? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSH: echo a string having []

I am trying to use echo in CSH and getting an error. I want to use to tell the user which parameters are optional. set msg2 = " -Inmod= -Nxz= -Varp=" echo $msg2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csh command not found

I get a "command not found" error when I run the csh command. I also get this error when I start a new session since my default shell is c shell. Any pointers as to what is going on? I am trying to set some paths using the .cshrc file and need to use the csh command for this. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kannyg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need help with <join> command in csh

Hi All, I need your hand to resolve an issue I am facing with a join command in one of the script. Please see the 3 files attached where file1 and file2 are the two files I am passing to the join command written in the command file. Prior to calling the join I am also sorting both the files on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sraj142
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on command line argument in csh

HI , I am new to csh. I need to pass some command line arguments like ./abc.sh -os Linux -path abc -tl aa -PILX 1 I have defined the loop as shown below. But its taking "-os" switches as arguments. Its treating them as arguments. How to resolve it? while ( $#argv != 0 ) switch ($argv) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineet.dhingra
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with echo command under csh shell

HI, guys, I am having some problem with the echo command, so I want to echo some text to a file name loginFile, the result inside the loginFile should looks like: expect ">" so what I did is: echo "expect "">""" >> $loginFile but it just gave out: expect > The thing is I still need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: warmboy610
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to echo command successful if command is executed successfully

Hello, I have written a command n shell script : srvctl relocate service -d t1 -s s1 -i i1 -t t1 -f If the above command executes successfully without error I need to echo "Service relocated successfully and If it errors out I need to trap the errors in a file and also need to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If command in csh

hi everyone what is difference between "if ( -e Arch )" and "if ( -e ./Arch )" in csh shell? Many Thanks samad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
1 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)