Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Permission for files in the path Post 303029947 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 3rd of February 2019 01:17:01 PM
Old 02-03-2019
What have you tried? Hint: chmod command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

files ownership/permission problem

all the files and directories in my system are owned by root only.i try to(from root loggin) change the permission on the file but not permitted.can any one help to fix my problem .also while installing any software always error occur like no makefile available (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jop
1 Replies

2. AIX

set permission to files in /tmp

Trying to setup user to have the ability to delete any files (regardless of owner) in /tmp. I've tried almost everything... the permission on the folder is drwxrwxrwt 10 bin bin, and at one point I give all the possible permission (short of root) I can give to the user, and he still can't delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchiang12
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission issues in Files

There are two text files are there in UNIX directory. One file created by informatica that contains the detail records and other file is created by Shell script that contains header record(1 row)but these two files are created in different user. I want to merge these two files with another file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission with Tar files

Hi All, I have 1000's of xml files in the Windows environment which needs to be FTPed to the UNIX environment. to reduce the time taken i go in for Tar and gzip 1. At the windows server i use the following command to tar and gzip tar --remove-files -pcf DW_BankDrop.tar DW_BankDrop*.xml ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
2 Replies

5. Fedora

Find Files in Directory by Permission?

Hello. I need to write a script that lets the user pick a directory. Then, all files are looped through, and the ones with read-write (for current user I think) are listed. Ending with a count of those files, but that parts easy. What I'm confused about is the middle. So far I have ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Feuyaer
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Highlight directories in path with execute permission for others

Hi all, I'm trying to make a script that takes at the most one argument and lists all directories in the path in a special format: User Group Other Filename rwx r-- r-x \ rwx r-x r-- home This is my code as it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trinimini
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

permission for all the files in a folder

Hi Guys, Is there a command or some way whenever any file is created in a folder is having a default permission. Cheers!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission to Oracle server to create a directory in a particular path

i need to give permission to ORACLE SERVER to create a directory in a particular path. How to do it?Oracle server is installed on SOLARIS (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod [ -Rf ] mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number con- structed from the OR of the following modes: 4000 set user ID on execution 2000 set group ID on execution 1000 sticky bit, see chmod(2) 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission [op permission] ... The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for all, or ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a but the setting of the file creation mask (see umask(2)) is taken into account. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), X (set execute only if file is a directory or some other execute bit is set), s (set owner or group id) and t (save text - sticky). Letters u, g, or o indicate that permission is to be taken from the current mode. Omitting permission is only useful with = to take away all permissions. When the -R option is given, chmod recursively descends its directory arguments setting the mode for each file as described above. When symbolic links are encountered, their mode is not changed and they are not traversed. If the -f option is given, chmod will not complain if it fails to change the mode on a file. EXAMPLES
The first example denies write permission to others, the second makes a file executable by all if it is executable by anyone: chmod o-w file chmod +X file Multiple symbolic modes separated by commas may be given. Operations are performed in the order specified. The letter s is only useful with u or g. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change its mode. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2), stat(2), umask(2), chown(8) 7th Edition May 22, 1986 CHMOD(1)