Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to manually -re-attach AIX lv's to a mirror? Post 303029628 by bakunin on Tuesday 29th of January 2019 10:27:31 PM
Old 01-29-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdock
IBM did a vgda map of hdisk1 with dd.
There is a little-known tool called readvgda which does what its name suggests - read the VGDA and print its content out to screen. I use it regularly when working on (to me) unknown systems when i need to find out about the VG type (classic, big or scalable) because otherwise there is no direct way to get that information elsewhere. You can use it for any other purposes too, though. The format is:

Code:
readvgda hdiskN [ | more]

where hdiskN is any hdisk device in the VG. Here is a longer article about it but knowing what to search for you find many others too.

The VGDA is stored in (at least) two different locations of the disk and if one is broken you may still read the other one and use that. You can easily do that with dd so you won't need IBM to do that for you. Of course this is a potentially risky operation so my suggestion is to test it first on a throwaway system/disk to get acquainted.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Mirror State AIX

Hello, how can i see easily the state of a mirrored disk on a AIX 4.3.3. I try followed command: lslv -m >lvname> but for me is not enough information. thanx in advance fenomen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fenomen
2 Replies

2. Solaris

ZFS Mirror versus Hardware Mirror

I've looked a little but haven't found a solid answer, assuming there is one. What's better, hardware mirroring or ZFS mirroring? Common practice for us was to use the raid controllers on the Sun x86 servers. Now we've been using ZFS mirroring since U6. Any performance difference? Any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lespaul20
3 Replies

3. Solaris

What is mirror and sub mirror in RAID -1 SVM

Hi , I am new to SVM .when i try to learn RAID 1 , first they are creating two RAID 0 strips through metainit d51 1 1 c0t0d0s2 metainit d52 1 1 c1t0d0s2 In the next step metainit d50 -m d51 d50: Mirror is setup next step is metaattach d50 d52 d50 : submirror d52 is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

4. AIX

AIX Rootvg mirror and sysdumplv

Guys, In my AIX 6.1 box the rootvg was on hdisk2, I tried to migrated it to hdisk0 Added hisk0 to rootvg , mirrored rootvg and changed bootlist and and sucessfully rebooted from hdisk0 Now I tried to remove the hdisk2 from rootvg so breaked mirror -bash-3.00# unmirrorvg rootvg hdisk2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
3 Replies

5. AIX

Attach HP EVA to IBM AIX powerpc singlepath

Dear all. We have a very big issue on Attach HP EVA to IBM AIX powerpc singlepath. the configurations on lscfg -vl fcs2 fcs2 U789C.001.DQD8D74-P1-C2-T1 4Gb FC PCI Express Adapter (df1000fe) Part Number.................10N7249 Serial... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juri_al
3 Replies

6. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

7. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

8. AIX

AIX break rootvg mirror from system down

Hello, aix 5.2, mirrored rootvg on hdisk0 and hdisk1. hdisk0 is dead. I can boot to cd, into sms, into maintenance mode. I can fsck all the various partitions on hdisk1 (the hd4 hd2 hd3, etc...) all is fine. But without the hdisk0 part of the mirror I cannot get the system to boot. ystem hangs on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshapiro
6 Replies

9. AIX

AIX hdisk Mirror vs alt_clone

Hello, I have two hdisk in Power7 machine, the rootvg on hdisk0. So to make a disk redundancy should make mirror or alt_clone and what is the different. Appreciate your help Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moudmm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

AIX - mirror a jfs2log

Hi everybody, I have a little problem with my AIX 6.1, PowerHA 6.1 LVM mirroring. I accidentally created logical volume cpsabcd2lv with external jfs2log loglv00 in the same volume group cpsdata2vg. Then I mirrored LV cpsabcd2lv on the second LUN in VG cpsdata2vg. My journal is unmirrored and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necronomic
0 Replies
VGSPLIT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							VGSPLIT(8)

NAME
vgsplit - split a volume groups SYNOPSIS
vgsplit [-A|--autobackup {y|n}] [-d|-ebug] [-h|--help] [-l|--list] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [--version] ExistingVolumeGroupName NewVol- umeGroupName PhysicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgsplit moves one or more PhysicalVolumePath(s) from ExistingVolumeGroupName into NewVolumeGroupName. Physical volumes that are split off to the new volume group must not contain any partial logical volumes. Use pvmove(8) to move logical volumes to the desired physical vol- umes. OPTIONS -A, --autobackup {y|n} Controls automatic backup of VG metadata after the merge (see vgcfgbackup(8)). Default is yes. -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -l, --list Display split volume group names like vgdisplay -v. -t, --test Do a test run WITHOUT any real changes. -v, --verbose Display verbose runtime information about vgsplit's activities. --version Display tool and IOP version and exit successfully. EXAMPLE
To separate physical volumes /dev/sdk1 and /dev/sdn1 from the existing volume group databases and put them into new volume group my_vg. vgsplit -v databases my_vg /dev/sdk1 /dev/sdn1 DIAGNOSTICS
vgsplit returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 invalid volume group name 2 invalid physical volume name 3 malloc error 4 error reading VGDA of existing volume group 5 new volume group already exists 6 error setting up VGDA for split 7 logical volume to be split into new volume group must be inactive 8 logical volume doesn't exist 9 error removing logical volume from kernel 10 error reducing VGDA by physical volume in kernel 11 error writing changed existing VGDA to physical volume(s) 12 error writing new VGDA to physical volume(s) 13 error creating device special files for changed existing volume group 14 error creating device special files for new volume group 15 error creating new VGDA in kernel 16 error inserting new volume group name into lvmtab 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
LVM_AUTOBACKUP If this variable is set to "no" then the automatic backup of VG metadata is turned off. LVM_VG_MAX_BACKUPS This variable determines the backup history depth of kept VGDA copy files in /etc/lvmconf. It can be set to a positive number between 0 and 999. The higher this number is, the more changes you can restore using vgcfgrestore(8). SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgextend(8), vgreduce(8), vgmerge(8), pvmove(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS VGSPLIT(8)