Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Junior engineer attending a senior engineering interview. Post 303029582 by joeyg on Tuesday 29th of January 2019 08:23:45 AM
Old 01-29-2019
Ask a real question. Think about some point where you got stuck, and ask the person what he/she would do if you came to them with the problem.
You will learn about their approach to problem-solving, and also if the person can (and will) explain things to you so that you will learn.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Junior SA Tasks?

I've been given more responsibility at work and was basically told to take junior system admin responsibilities over our aix box. The catch is, I need to learn on my own. I know basics, but what are some task that I could perform on a daily basis for starters? We have a support group, but not so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information on Network engineer and Unix Systems Engineer

Hi, I'm exploring a few different careers( Unix System's Admin, Network Engineer, and Unix System's Engineer). I asked in another thread about System's Admin, so I have some more info on that already. I'm not finding very much info on Network Engineers or Unix System Engineers though. Can you guys... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
0 Replies
TALK(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TALK(1)

NAME
talk -- talk to another user SYNOPSIS
talk person [ttyname] DESCRIPTION
Talk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user. Options available: person If you wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then person is of the form 'user@host'. ttyname If you wish to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name, where ttyname is of the form 'ttyXX' or 'pts/X'. When first called, talk contacts the talk daemon on the other user's machine, which sends the message Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine... talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine. talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine to that user. At this point, he then replies by typing talk your_name@your_machine It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login name is the same. Once communication is established, the two parties may type simultaneously; their output will appear in separate windows. Typing control-L (^L) will cause the screen to be reprinted. The erase, kill line, and word erase characters (normally ^H, ^U, and ^W respectively) will behave normally. To exit, just type the interrupt character (normally ^C); talk then moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal to its previous state. As of netkit-ntalk 0.15 talk supports scrollback; use esc-p and esc-n to scroll your window, and ctrl-p and ctrl-n to scroll the other win- dow. These keys are now opposite from the way they were in 0.16; while this will probably be confusing at first, the rationale is that the key combinations with escape are harder to type and should therefore be used to scroll one's own screen, since one needs to do that much less often. If you do not want to receive talk requests, you may block them using the mesg(1) command. By default, talk requests are normally not blocked. Certain commands, in particular nroff(1), pine(1), and pr(1), may block messages temporarily in order to prevent messy output. FILES
/etc/hosts to find the recipient's machine /var/run/utmp to find the recipient's tty SEE ALSO
mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8) BUGS
The protocol used to communicate with the talk daemon is braindead. Also, the version of talk(1) released with 4.2BSD uses a different and even more braindead protocol that is completely incompatible. Some vendor Unixes (particularly those from Sun) have been found to use this old protocol. Old versions of talk may have trouble running on machines with more than one IP address, such as machines with dynamic SLIP or PPP connec- tions. This problem is fixed as of netkit-ntalk 0.11, but may affect people you are trying to communicate with. HISTORY
The talk command appeared in 4.2BSD. Linux NetKit (0.17) November 24, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)