Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 7.2 - Error initializing a device into the kernel. Post 303029162 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 22nd of January 2019 03:24:26 PM
Old 01-22-2019
Thank you for telling us what you found. It will help someone else who runs into this same problem later and see your thread.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dleting a Device in AIX 4.3

I need to delete a TTY in my AIX 4.3 system. I have tried using the smit but everytime I try it, there is a message telling me that the device is in use and cannot be changed. How do I take the device "offline", so to speak, so that I can edit the settings and/or delete it. V/R Djassi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djassi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel and Device Driver Programming

I am looking for a guide on how to program for either the Linux or FreeBSD (includes 4.4BSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) kernel. I would prefer to learn how to write device drivers, but anything would help. If you know, please email me at *removed* or leave a post here Regards, Farhan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. Fedora

Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver?

I have been reading prep questions for my second unix academy exam, and there's a nuance, I'm not sure I understand it correctly. I've been under impression from my readings of book by Evi Nemeth and from unix academy DVDs I've been watching, that kernel's modules are drivers. I think of it, as... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: newlinuxuser1
25 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies

6. Android

Running only the Linux kernel of an Android device

I am looking for a way to run on top of the Linux kernel of an Android device. I want to use the existing configured Linux beneath Android rather than put a new Linux distribution onto a device. The article "The Android boot process from power on" (sorry, forum won't let me paste the link)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raoulney
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel crash - NULL pointer dereference when calling DEVICE_WRITE from KTHREAD in a USB device drive

I'm writing a simple USB driver to drive a stepper motor based on USB Skeleton 2.2 Driver, kernel 3.8. The basic version is running properly. As a advancement, I introduced KTHREAD to call the DEVICE_WRITE (skel_write) (), so that the driver will be available for other tasks & requests. Calling... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: miteshgaware
0 Replies

8. AIX

AIX - NIC device explanation need

Hello, I have some doubt about the NIC device on my AIX box. When using lsdev command / > lsdev -Cc adapter | grep en ent0 Available 03-00 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-Express Adapter (14104003) ent1 Available 03-01 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-Express Adapter (14104003) ent2... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
11 Replies
pthread_detach(3C)														pthread_detach(3C)

NAME
pthread_detach - detach a thread SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file... -lpthread [ library... ] #include <pthread.h> int pthread_detach(pthread_t thread); The pthread_detach() function is used to indicate to the implementation that storage for the thread thread can be reclaimed when that thread terminates. In other words, pthread_detach() dynamically resets the detachstate attribute of the thread to PTHREAD_CRE- ATE_DETACHED. After a successful call to this function, it would not be necessary to reclaim the thread using pthread_join(). See pthread_join(3C). If thread has not terminated, pthread_detach() will not cause it to terminate. The effect of multiple pthread_detach() calls on the same target thread is unspecified. If successful, pthread_detach() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. The pthread_detach() function will fail if: EINVAL The implementation has detected that the value specified by thread does not refer to a joinable thread. ESRCH No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pthread_create(3C), pthread_join(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) 23 Mar 2005 pthread_detach(3C)