Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Advice on allocating SAN storage to a virtual database server on VMware Post 303027915 by dkmartin on Friday 28th of December 2018 07:58:12 AM
Old 12-28-2018
Advice on allocating SAN storage to a virtual database server on VMware

I am relatively new to Linux and we are getting ready to convert our current oracle database servers from the AIX platform to RHEL7 servers on VMWare. I would appreciate any advice on how best to allocate storage to these machines. I plan on using LVM to maintain the disks/filesystems but am unsure on how to initially assign the SAN storage to ensure the best performance possible.

In our current AIX environment we have separate disks/volume groups for the different types of data being stored. i.e. database files in a different volume group than O/S data, etc. On the SAN side the disks are on different storage devices as well so we can avoid any type of bottlenecks.

When creating a VM would I take this same approach?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Using San storage - advice needed

Thinking of using our San for network backups.. Have a Netra 240 being installed and planning to get some space on our San. Do you know what software is used to access the San from my server or what I would need to do? I know how to connect to local storage, disk arrays etc but not sure what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Solaris

SAN Storage to solaris 10 server

Hi, I have configured our SAN Storage to be connected to our new SUN T5220. On the SAn it looks all fine on the server I do not see any connection: cfgadm -al Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition c1 scsi-bus connected ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
4 Replies

3. SuSE

Hot-add memory to SuSE / VMware virtual server

Hi, Here is the issue. Some more memory has been added from vCenter to the virtual machine. From the virtual machine running SuSE 11 SP3. # modprobe acpiphp # modprobe acpi-memhotplug # grep -v online /sys/devices/system/memory/*/state # It looks like there is no offline memory, but free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Allocating Unallocated Drive Space from a SAN to a filesystem

Good Morning everyone, I want to know how to allocate unallocated drive space from a SAN to a file system that desperately needs the drive space. Does anyone have any documentation or tips on how to accomplish this? I am running on AIX version 6.1. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanco
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to mount a 79TB SAN storage to another server?

Hi Team, How do i mount or connect the SAN storage to a specific folder. I have tried to mount it but each time i can only mount 900GB of the storage to the folder: ipmi1 ~]# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-root_vol ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElVista
0 Replies
vgmove(1M)																vgmove(1M)

NAME
vgmove - move data from an old set of disks in a volume group to a new set of disks SYNOPSIS
autobackup] diskmapfile vg_name autobackup] diskfile diskmapfile vg_name DESCRIPTION
The command migrates data from the existing set of disks in a volume group to a new set of disks. After the command completes successfully, the new set of disks will belong to the same volume group. The command is intended to migrate data on a volume group from old storage to new storage. The diskmapfile specifies the list of source disks to move data from, and the list of destination disks to move data to. The user may choose to list only a subset of the existing physical volumes in the volume group that need to be migrated to a new set of disks. The format of the diskmapfile file is shown below: source_pv_1 destination_pv_1_1 destination_pv_1_2 .... source_pv_2 destination_pv_2_1 destination_pv_2_2 .... .... source_pv_n destination_pv_n_1 destination_pv_n_2 .... If a destination disk is not already part of the volume group, it will be added using see vgextend(1M). Upon successful completion of the source disk will be automatically removed from the volume group using see vgreduce(1M). After successful migration, the destination disks are added to the LVM configuration files; namely, or The source disks along with their alternate links are removed from the LVM configuration files. A sample diskmapfile is shown below: /dev/disk/disk1 /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk52 /dev/disk/disk2 /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk3 /dev/disk/disk53 The diskmapfile can be manually created, or it can be automatically generated using the diskfile and diskmapfile options. The argument diskfile contains a list of destination disks, one per line such as the sample file below: /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk52 /dev/disk/disk53 When the option is given, reads a list of destination disks from diskfile, generates the source to destination mapping, and saves it to diskmapfile. The volume group must be activated before running the command. If the command is interrupted before it completes, the volume group is in the same state it was at the beginning of the command. The migration can be continued by running the command with the same options and disk mapping file. Options and Arguments The command recognizes the following options and arguments: vg_name The path name of the volume group. Set automatic backup for this invocation of autobackup can have one of the following values: Automatically back up configuration changes made to the volume group. This is the default. After this command executes, the command is executed for the volume group; see vgcfgbackup(1M). Do not back up configuration changes this time. Specify the name of the file containing the source to destination disk mapping. If the option is also given, will generate the disk mapping and save it to this filename. (Note that if the diskmapfile already exists, the file will be overwritten). Otherwise, will perform the data migration using this diskmapfile. Specify the name of the file containing the list of destination disks. This option is used with the option to generate the diskmapfile. When the option is used, no volume group data is moved. Preview the actions to be taken but do not move any volume group data. Shared Volume Group Considerations For volume group version 1.0 and 2.0, cannot be used if the volume group is activated in shared mode. For volume groups version 2.1 (or higher), can be performed when activated in either shared, exclusive, or standalone mode. Note that the daemon must be running on all the nodes sharing a volume group activated in shared mode. See lvmpud(1M). When a node wants to share the volume group, the user must first execute a if physical volumes were moved in or out of the volume group at the time the volume group was not activated on that node. LVM shared mode is currently only available in Serviceguard clusters. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Move data in volume group from to After the migration, remove from the volume group: Generate a source to destination disk map file for where the destination disks are and SEE ALSO
lvmpud(1M), pvmove(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M), vgcfgrestore(1M), vgextend(1M), vgreduce(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). vgmove(1M)