Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Holding cursor position on one line Post 303026482 by MuntyScrunt on Wednesday 28th of November 2018 02:22:55 PM
Old 11-28-2018
Holding cursor position on one line

Hi there.

It's easier to explain this with a pseudo code, I hope this makes sense:

Code:
var1=hello
echo $var1

some kind of loop
  echo loop counter
done

How do I hold the cursor position immediately behind the last output so I'd get something like:
hello123456789

DOS used to use "," as a tab between printed data and ";" held the cursor in place without any carriage return. Is there a similar thing in Bash?

Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the cursor position

Hello, Is there a way to get the current cursor position? I know "tput sc" saves it. Is there a way to find out the value saved? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
0 Replies

2. Programming

Cursor Global Position

Hello all, How can i get the global position of the cursor? (i'm using c language, and suse 10.1 linux) Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boogy
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Command to know the terminal cursor position

Dear all, How can i get the current cursor position..is thr any command to find the same? Thanks in Advance Aneesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneesha
3 Replies

4. Programming

get terminal width and cursor position

I want to get the screen width and cursor positions. When I used curses, all the screen content was cleared. So Can I use curses to get the screen size without clearing anything in the window? Or is there any other alternative??? I can use only C or C++. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejesh.S
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

read position mouse cursor

Hi to all! I'm a teacher of maths and physics in an italian high school in Milan, Italy. I need a simple program that read the position of mouse cursor in function of time and write the coordinates in a text file. The time resolution have to be something like 1/10 sec or better (I have to know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris75
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi editor : Knowing the current cursor position

Hi All, In VI editor, to know the line number at any instant we use ctrl+g Similarly, to know the current coulmn number what shall we use?? If not direct key controls like ctrl+g, Is there any comands that could be executed in colon or ex mode of VI to know the current column position???... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cursor position

Is there a way of finding the current cursor position (line & column) within AIX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - moving cursor position

hi all, am trying to modify a ksh script to group server names together depending on the cluster they sit in. currently the script does a find . -name '*.pid' to find all running servers and prints out their pids and names. current output looks something like this : serverA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the cursor position

I need to get the cursor position, and put it inside a variable. Problem is, i don't have the tput command, or ncurses. Apparently I was supposed to try the following: echo -e '\E But I don't get a value or anything. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control cursor position also at bottom of window

I have a slight problem controlling the cursor position in a Bash terminal window. I have a function ask a question and then wait for an answer which is either 'y' or 'n' or a carriage return. Whenever the user enters anything else it just erases the answer and waits for the next one. However, the... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
23 Replies
CREATE_FUNCTION(3)							 1							CREATE_FUNCTION(3)

create_function - Create an anonymous (lambda-style) function

SYNOPSIS
string create_function (string $args, string $code) DESCRIPTION
Creates an anonymous function from the parameters passed, and returns a unique name for it. Caution This function internally performs an eval(3) and as such has the same security issues as eval(3). Additionally it has bad perfor- mance and memory usage characteristics. If you are using PHP 5.3.0 or newer a native anonymous function should be used instead. PARAMETERS
Usually these parameters will be passed as single quote delimited strings. The reason for using single quoted strings, is to protect the variable names from parsing, otherwise, if you use double quotes there will be a need to escape the variable names, e.g. $avar. o $args - The function arguments. o $code - The function code. RETURN VALUES
Returns a unique function name as a string, or FALSE on error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Creating an anonymous function with create_function(3) You can use this function, to (for example) create a function from information gathered at run time: <?php $newfunc = create_function('$a,$b', 'return "ln($a) + ln($b) = " . log($a * $b);'); echo "New anonymous function: $newfunc "; echo $newfunc(2, M_E) . " "; // outputs // New anonymous function: lambda_1 // ln(2) + ln(2.718281828459) = 1.6931471805599 ?> Or, perhaps to have general handler function that can apply a set of operations to a list of parameters: Example #2 Making a general processing function with create_function(3) <?php function process($var1, $var2, $farr) { foreach ($farr as $f) { echo $f($var1, $var2) . " "; } } // create a bunch of math functions $f1 = 'if ($a >=0) {return "b*a^2 = ".$b*sqrt($a);} else {return false;}'; $f2 = "return "min(b^2+a, a^2,b) = ".min($a*$a+$b,$b*$b+$a);"; $f3 = 'if ($a > 0 && $b != 0) {return "ln(a)/b = ".log($a)/$b; } else { return false; }'; $farr = array( create_function('$x,$y', 'return "some trig: ".(sin($x) + $x*cos($y));'), create_function('$x,$y', 'return "a hypotenuse: ".sqrt($x*$x + $y*$y);'), create_function('$a,$b', $f1), create_function('$a,$b', $f2), create_function('$a,$b', $f3) ); echo " Using the first array of anonymous functions "; echo "parameters: 2.3445, M_PI "; process(2.3445, M_PI, $farr); // now make a bunch of string processing functions $garr = array( create_function('$b,$a', 'if (strncmp($a, $b, 3) == 0) return "** "$a" '. 'and "$b" ** Look the same to me! (looking at the first 3 chars)";'), create_function('$a,$b', '; return "CRCs: " . crc32($a) . ", ".crc32($b);'), create_function('$a,$b', '; return "similar(a,b) = " . similar_text($a, $b, &$p) . "($p%)";') ); echo " Using the second array of anonymous functions "; process("Twas brilling and the slithy toves", "Twas the night", $garr); ?> The above example will output: Using the first array of anonymous functions parameters: 2.3445, M_PI some trig: -1.6291725057799 a hypotenuse: 3.9199852871011 b*a^2 = 4.8103313314525 min(b^2+a, a^2,b) = 8.6382729035898 ln(a)/b = 0.27122299212594 Using the second array of anonymous functions ** "Twas the night" and "Twas brilling and the slithy toves" ** Look the same to me! (looking at the first 3 chars) CRCs: -725381282, 342550513 similar(a,b) = 11(45.833333333333%) But perhaps the most common use for of lambda-style (anonymous) functions is to create callback functions, for example when using array_walk(3) or usort(3) Example #3 Using anonymous functions as callback functions <?php $av = array("the ", "a ", "that ", "this "); array_walk($av, create_function('&$v,$k', '$v = $v . "mango";')); print_r($av); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => the mango [1] => a mango [2] => that mango [3] => this mango ) an array of strings ordered from shorter to longer <?php $sv = array("small", "larger", "a big string", "it is a string thing"); print_r($sv); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => small [1] => larger [2] => a big string [3] => it is a string thing ) sort it from longer to shorter <?php usort($sv, create_function('$a,$b','return strlen($b) - strlen($a);')); print_r($sv); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => it is a string thing [1] => a big string [2] => larger [3] => small ) SEE ALSO
Anonymous functions. PHP Documentation Group CREATE_FUNCTION(3)