Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help getting a web page to start a server. Post 303025966 by Stuperfied on Thursday 15th of November 2018 08:42:58 PM
Old 11-15-2018
I will second that note. I am 39 years old, have been running windows based servers for around 25 years, I have a certificate 3 and 4 in networking with security components, about half way through my bachelor of comp sci and about to take on my diploma in networking. I have taken steps to completely isolate my servers on the network, including but not limited to multiple gateways, routing, firewalls and port management. Do not do what I am doing as it will open up not only your server but your entire network to attack.

NEO: Please don't be mad with me, I do understand and I do welcome your advice however as mentioned before, I am not concerned with the security issues of privately hosted public minecraft servers.

------ Post updated at 01:42 AM ------

I would like to propose a more secure way of doing this, which after some testing I have found works just as well. Rather than adding www-data to the sudoers, simply use php to write to a file and have a script monitor that file for changes. The limitation is that a script would likely be run on a cron job which I think the minimum interval is 1 minute. If you would like more help with this method, please create a new thread.

Here is the php code to write to the file.

Code:
<?php

if ($_GET['start']) {
  $old_path = getcwd();
  chdir('/my/path/');

# This code will run if ?run=true is set.  
  $output = shell_exec("echo 'start' > ./operations.txt"); # You can also use >> to append.
  echo $output;

chdir($old_path);
}
?>

<!-- This link will add ?run=true to your URL, myfilename.php?run=true -->
<a href="?start=true" color="green">start</a>

Last edited by Stuperfied; 11-15-2018 at 09:48 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing Web Page

Hello, I am new to unix, but wanted to know how can we fetch data from a web page (i.e. an HTML Page), my requirement is to read an html page and wanted to create a flat file (text file) based on the contents available in the mentioned HTML page. Thanks Imtiaz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imtiaz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the web page on server

Wish you all a very happy new year. I have a web url "http://marabou.mis.amat.com/cgi-bin/iman?IMAN_server_report=full" where marabou.mis.amat.com is my server name. the page content is below. ********************************************************* TcEng Web server report Thu Jan 4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 Web Start Upgrade using -nowin - still complains about X server

Hi there. I'm trying to upgrade a Sun Blade 100 to Solaris 9. I downloaded and burned the install, disc 1, disc 2 and tools CDs from Sun. I turned off auto-boot, put in the CD and enter the following: # boot cdrom -nowin The cdrom boot starts, and I get prompted to choose a language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calenti
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening web page in remote server

Hi all, I am new to UNIX and so am struggling a bit on using the right commands. I am working on a remote UNIX server and i need to load a web page using firefox. I can use the client IP address to access the web page but i am not able to do so because the command i am typing is wrong. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greg15
1 Replies

5. Web Development

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
2 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

7. Web Development

Call shell script from HTML page - without web server

Hi, I have html page in my unix machine(server), which I will open with firefox or mozilla available in unix machine. Firefox or mozilla will be opened using x windows. Since I have access to unix machien(like other users) and this HTML page is for user having access to Unix machine, I see no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamanu9
7 Replies

8. Web Development

Unable to start the apache web server

Hi All, I'm getting this below error bash-4.1$ ./apachectl -k start (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address hostname:18000 no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs I tried to change the port number, still same error: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
5 Replies
bup-ftp(1)						      General Commands Manual							bup-ftp(1)

NAME
bup-web - Start web server to browse bup repositiory SYNOPSIS
bup web [[hostname]:port] DESCRIPTION
bup web starts a web server that can browse bup repositories. The file hierarchy is the same as that shown by bup-fuse(1), bup-ls(1) and bup-ftp(1). hostname and port default to 127.0.0.1 and 8080, respectively, and hence bup web will only offer up the web server to locally running clients. If you'd like to expose the web server to anyone on your network (dangerous!) you can omit the bind address to bind to all avail- able interfaces: :8080. EXAMPLE
$ bup web Serving HTTP on 127.0.0.1:8080... ^C $ bup web :8080 Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0:8080... ^C SEE ALSO
bup-fuse(1), bup-ls(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-restore(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Joe Beda <jbeda@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-ftp(1)