Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Missing ASM Disks in Solaris 11.3 LDOM Post 303024984 by gull04 on Monday 22nd of October 2018 09:29:41 AM
Old 10-22-2018
Missing ASM Disks in Solaris 11.3 LDOM

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question hopefully someone will have seen this before and will be able to enlighten me.

I have been doing some Infrastructure Verification Testing and one of the tests was booting the primary domain from alternate disks, this all went well - however on restarting one of the LDOM's which has 10 Oracle ASM disks assigned to it I get the following;

Code:
{0} ok boot -s
Boot device: /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/disk@0  File and args: -s
SunOS Release 5.11 Version 11.3 64-bit
Copyright (c) 1983, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
WARNING: forceload of drv/oracleafd failed
Booting to milestone "milestone/single-user:default".
NOTICE: AFDK-00001: Module load succeeded. Build information:  (LOW DEBUG) - USM_12.2.0.1.0ACFSRU_SOLARIS.SPARC64_171115 built on 2017/12/15 13:50:23.
NOTICE:

NOTICE: vdisk@2 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@3 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@4 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@5 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@6 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@7 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@8 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@9 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@10 disk access failed
NOTICE: vdisk@11 disk access failed
Hostname: fdbkirnhht01
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
SINGLE USER MODE

Enter user name for system maintenance (control-d to bypass): root
Enter root password (control-d to bypass):
single-user privilege assigned to root on /dev/console.
Entering System Maintenance Mode

Oct 22 13:35:54 su: 'su root' succeeded for root on /dev/console

Attempting to run echo | format or just plain old format just comes back with searching for disks message and hangs.

I've asked the DBA's to start the Oracle Stack after bringing the system to run level 3 and they are unable see the disks either. This has got to be something fundamental, but at the moment it is beyond me and although I've had hits on the error - Goggle hasn't been much help.

This is a Test system so I can afford some time to look for issues with the system, I do have a full support package with Oracle so I could raise a support call - but I'd rather ask here in case any one is familiar with this issue.

Regards

Gull04

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Installing Solaris into LDom using DVD

Hi, I have issues installing Solaris into a LDom using a Solaris10u5/08 DVD. I have been troubleshooting for the past 2 days and I still cannot get it up. Here is the logs: root@eld-app2# ldm add-vdsdev /cdrom/sol_10_508_sparc/s0 cdrom0@primary-vds0 root@eld-app2# ldm add-vdisk cdrom0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bolasutra
4 Replies

2. Solaris

How to find missing disks on Sun x4150 without reboot?

Hi, Here is the issue: There are 4 disks on this Sun x4150 system under Solaris 10, but only 1 disk can be seen by the OS. I've tried commands disks and devfsadm but not working. It's an important production server, so 'reboot -r' is not a choice. # format < /dev/null Searching for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 Installation - Disks missing, and Raid

Hey everyone. First, let me start by saying I'm primarily focused on linux boxes, and just happened to get pulled into building two T5220's. I'm not super educated on sun boxes. Both T5220's have 8 146GB 15k SAS drives. Inside the service processor, I can run SHOW /SYS/HDD{0-7} and they all come... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
2 Replies

4. Solaris

ZFS LDOM problem on Solaris 10

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.. I have some LDOMs running on a Sparc server. I copied the disk0 file from one chassis over to another, stopped the ldom on the source system and started it on the 2nd one. All fine. Shut it down and flipped back. We then did a fair bit of work on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommyq
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Disks missing from /devices folder. Not sure why.

Help Please! I picked up a V440 and it has 4 disks. I installed Solaris fine to disk 3, but I cannot see the other disks in Solaris. I have run probe-scsi-all from OBP and I see the other disks and they have names in devalias AFAIK. It's just in Solaris they do not appear. I have run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greg1975
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Virtual disks are not showing up in LDom

I have an Oracle VM set up with 1 virtual disk. I am trying to add 2 new disks to it. I was able to successfully add 1 (it appears when I run "format" in the VM) but when I add the second and third disks they do not appear in my VM. Here are the commands I ran: ldm add-vdsdev... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unblockable
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Virtual Switch in Solaris LDOM

Hi, Our existing environment is having primary domain and 3 guest domains are running over it. See the attached image. Now we want to add a new primary virtual switch and move LDOM3 to be connected with new primary switch. So, I am not sure how to achieve this because. If I remove the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveensharma21
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Oracle ASM on Solaris 11.3

Hi Folks, I've just built a Solaris 11.3 server with a number of LDOM's, all good and well and not any serious issues so far. On our older Solaris 10 systems we ran Oracle 11g using ASM disks, these disks were the raw device meta disks and came in very nicely as "/dev/md/rdsk/dnn" all worked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris LDOM IP conflict

I have a Sun T4-1 running Solaris 11.4 with a static IP 192.168.0.183. On this machine is a Solaris 10 LDOM with a static IP of 192.168.0.78. The other day I had to stop the LDOM to do a memory reconfigure. When I rebooted it I got an error that the IP 192.168.0.78 was already in use and so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michele31416
4 Replies
bootconf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       bootconf(4)

NAME
bootconf - boot device configuration table DESCRIPTION
The file contains the address and disk layout type of the system's boot devices or lif volumes. It is used by the and HP-UX kernel control scripts (fileset to determine how and where to update the initial boot loader. Normally the kernel's script queries the system's hardware and creates the file. In rare cases when either the system configuration cannot be automatically determined or additional and/or alternate boot devices should be automatically updated, the administrator must edit the file manually. There is one line in the file for each boot device. Each line contains the following blank-separated fields in the order shown: disk type A flag indicating how the file system(s) on the disk are laid out. The flag must be one of the following: Indicates that the root disk is in LVM or VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) format. If LVM or VxVM mirrors are used, then each of the "mirrors" must have its own line in the file. Indicates that the root disk is in the "whole disk" format with no partitions, but boot and swap space are reserved outside the file system. device file The absolute path of the device special file that accesses the physical device where the boot area is located. For LVM root disks, the device special file is the physical volume(s) returned by the command. For "whole disks" this is the device file that references the entire disk. Blank lines are permitted. Any line beginning with a is considered to be a comment. DIAGNOSTICS
The Software Distributor log file contains diagnostic messages under the fileset if the file is incorrect. Most of the messages are self- explanatory; a few warrant additional explanation: If there are no other messages about the file is probably empty. Otherwise, the file is not in the proper format, and the other messages will explain what the problem is. The specified device file does not point to a disk where there is a lif which contains the file Some character other than or is in the first field of a line. As of release 10.0, the boot areas in must all be on the same type of disk layout. There are characters after the device file specification. EXAMPLES
The boot area is on an LVM root disk: l /dev/disk/disk7_p2 The boot area is on a whole disk layout: w /dev/disk/disk7 WARNINGS
All of the boot devices in the file must have the same disk layout. AUTHOR
was developed by the Hewlett-Packard Company. FILES
SEE ALSO
mediainit(1), hpux(1M), hpux.efi(1M), mkboot(1M), vgdisplay(1M), lif(4), intro(7). documentation. bootconf(4)